The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

prognosis stage 3

Forums General Melanoma Community prognosis stage 3

Participant
      What would be a worse prognosis for stage 3. Having a ulcerated melanoma with micromets or having a macro node without ulceration. Just curious anon
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You can look at the breakout of the different stages here.  Stage 3a has better prognosis than 3b and likewise with 3c.  You can find the variation in the table at this site.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2007147-overview

Janner
          Participant

You can look at the breakout of the different stages here.  Stage 3a has better prognosis than 3b and likewise with 3c.  You can find the variation in the table at this site.

Janner
            Participant

gregor913
              Participant
                Those survival stats look so grim.50 percent for 5 years. Breast cancer stage 3 is around 70 percent. Is melanoma more aggressive then breast cancer.
                  Janner
                  Participant

There have been several new treatments released for melanoma within the past 5 years.   Prior to that, it was 13 years where no new treatments were introduced.  THere are NO survival statistics that are accurate anymore because all those statistics currently printed will not include the latest technologies and treatments available.  These new treatments have better success rates than any prior treatment and will affect survival curves.

Melanoma is considered very aggressive once it has spread, unfortunately.

Janner
                    Participant

There have been several new treatments released for melanoma within the past 5 years.   Prior to that, it was 13 years where no new treatments were introduced.  THere are NO survival statistics that are accurate anymore because all those statistics currently printed will not include the latest technologies and treatments available.  These new treatments have better success rates than any prior treatment and will affect survival curves.

Janner
                      Participant

ed williams
                        Participant

Dear Anon, stats are hard to predict today, with all the new treatment options Including Immunotherapy and targeted therapy. I was given 5 to 7 months in July of 2013 if I went by the stats at that time, cyberknife and a clinical trial of Immunotherapy has changed that big time. Feel free to lose the Anon title, the members on the board don't bite!!! Ed

ed williams
                          Participant

Dear Anon, stats are hard to predict today, with all the new treatment options Including Immunotherapy and targeted therapy. I was given 5 to 7 months in July of 2013 if I went by the stats at that time, cyberknife and a clinical trial of Immunotherapy has changed that big time. Feel free to lose the Anon title, the members on the board don't bite!!! Ed

ed williams
                            Participant

gregor913
                            Participant
                              Those survival stats look so grim.50 percent for 5 years. Breast cancer stage 3 is around 70 percent. Is melanoma more aggressive then breast cancer.
                              gregor913
                              Participant
                                gregor913
                                Participant
                                  I guess I gotta stop looking at these old statistics with the new drugs and technologies out. It’s just scary that’s all . I’m sure people are living longer with melanoma.
                                  gregor913
                                  Participant
                                    I guess I gotta stop looking at these old statistics with the new drugs and technologies out. It’s just scary that’s all . I’m sure people are living longer with melanoma.
                                      stevecathy
                                      Participant
                                        Fighters are not statistics, GOD Is The ONLY ONE who knows our time to go home. Just keep fighting and live life. Peace and blessings.
                                        stevecathy
                                        Participant
                                          Fighters are not statistics, GOD Is The ONLY ONE who knows our time to go home. Just keep fighting and live life. Peace and blessings.
                                          jamieth29
                                          Participant
                                            Great advice stevecathy
                                            jamieth29
                                            Participant
                                              Great advice stevecathy
                                              jamieth29
                                              Participant
                                                Great advice stevecathy
                                                AllysonRuth
                                                Participant

I love this.  Thanks for sharing.  Such a refreshing thought when I often feel out of control with this disease.  HE is in control.

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                                  Participant

I love this.  Thanks for sharing.  Such a refreshing thought when I often feel out of control with this disease.  HE is in control.

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                                    Participant

Allyson

stevecathy
                                                      Participant
                                                      gregor913
                                                      Participant
                                                        Kim K
                                                        Participant

Statistics are just that and nothing more.  When it comes down to the individual all bets are off.  "I" am not a statistic.

Yes stage 3 melanoma is worse than breast cancer, and most patients will progress in spite of the newer treatments.  That being said, more advanced melanoma patients are living longer overall with the new drug therapies.  It is too early with these new therapies to change the stats, but they are better.

All the stats can do is force you to get your life in order, then go on and live.  Live life with more purpose, don't put off things you really want to do, make the most of the time you have.  Heck you might be killed from above with "blue ice" tomorrow.  

The numbers are depressing, but you don't have to be.  For me when I advanced from stage IIA to stage IV eight years later and with a 2 & 4 year old at home, in some ways it was freeing.  I felt fine, had minimal tumor burden, and no longer had to save for my retirement!  Everything else from that point on was for my girls.

Luckily, I am not a statistic.  I have been in a durable remission after lung surgery and IL-2.  This summer will be 6 years NED.  Yup, I am in the 3% club.  6% complete responders of which half will never have a recurrance = 3%.

Now I have to save for retirement AND college for both my girls – LOL.  Now I have to lose weight since I decided to HAVE that piece of cake AND another beer.  Oh well……..  Was worth it.  The limbo inbetween, not knowing where I would fall in overall survival, that was the hardest.  Do I save for the future or take the kids on a road trip across the U.S. in an RV and create memories instead?  I couldn't do both.

Just plan for the worst, then grab life by the short hairs and hang on for one heck of a party!

Kim K
                                                          Participant

Statistics are just that and nothing more.  When it comes down to the individual all bets are off.  "I" am not a statistic.

Yes stage 3 melanoma is worse than breast cancer, and most patients will progress in spite of the newer treatments.  That being said, more advanced melanoma patients are living longer overall with the new drug therapies.  It is too early with these new therapies to change the stats, but they are better.

All the stats can do is force you to get your life in order, then go on and live.  Live life with more purpose, don't put off things you really want to do, make the most of the time you have.  Heck you might be killed from above with "blue ice" tomorrow.  

The numbers are depressing, but you don't have to be.  For me when I advanced from stage IIA to stage IV eight years later and with a 2 & 4 year old at home, in some ways it was freeing.  I felt fine, had minimal tumor burden, and no longer had to save for my retirement!  Everything else from that point on was for my girls.

Luckily, I am not a statistic.  I have been in a durable remission after lung surgery and IL-2.  This summer will be 6 years NED.  Yup, I am in the 3% club.  6% complete responders of which half will never have a recurrance = 3%.

Now I have to save for retirement AND college for both my girls – LOL.  Now I have to lose weight since I decided to HAVE that piece of cake AND another beer.  Oh well……..  Was worth it.  The limbo inbetween, not knowing where I would fall in overall survival, that was the hardest.  Do I save for the future or take the kids on a road trip across the U.S. in an RV and create memories instead?  I couldn't do both.

Just plan for the worst, then grab life by the short hairs and hang on for one heck of a party!

Kim K
                                                            Participant

gregor913
                                                                Participant
                                                                  You shouldn’t say most stage 3 people will progress. There are a lot of stage 3 people who have not and newly diagnosed people to thus site. It’s not very nice that you said that.
                                                                  gregor913
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    You shouldn’t say most stage 3 people will progress. There are a lot of stage 3 people who have not and newly diagnosed people to thus site. It’s not very nice that you said that.
                                                                    gregor913
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Squash
                                                                      Participant

Statistically it is correct that most stage 3 patients will progress.

There is a caveat and that being there is a wide variety classified within stage 3. eg stage 3a with a micromet in one node has good chance of not progressing whereas stage 3c will see most of those patients progress.

Squash
                                                                        Participant

There is a caveat and that being there is a wide variety classified within stage 3. eg stage 3a with a micromet in one node has good chance of not progressing whereas stage 3c will see most of those patients progress.

gregor913
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Never seen that statistic printed anywhere. People come to this forum for hope and inspiration. Keep your ignorant stats to yourself.
                                                                            gregor913
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Never seen that statistic printed anywhere. People come to this forum for hope and inspiration. Keep your ignorant stats to yourself.
                                                                              gregor913
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                DZnDef
                                                                                Participant

I, for one, found KimK's post to be very inspirational.

DZnDef
                                                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                      Participant

Also, I could be wrong but I believe her "3%" statistic related to her specific treatment (IL-2) not to all currently available melanoma treatments which are much better.

DZnDef
                                                                                        Participant

Also, I could be wrong but I believe her "3%" statistic related to her specific treatment (IL-2) not to all currently available melanoma treatments which are much better.

DZnDef
                                                                                          Participant

MelaFella
                                                                                            Participant

Perhaps check the statistics before disparaging another poster for a very supportive and accurate post. The truth of our Dx's are certainly brutal yet it only hampers our efforts to ignore or diminish it. 

JustJaren
                                                                                              Participant

AGREE!!!

JustJaren
                                                                                                Participant

AGREE!!!

JustJaren
                                                                                                  Participant

AGREE!!!

MelaFella
                                                                                                    Participant

Perhaps check the statistics before disparaging another poster for a very supportive and accurate post. The truth of our Dx's are certainly brutal yet it only hampers our efforts to ignore or diminish it. 

MelaFella
                                                                                                      Participant

Squash
                                                                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics