The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnant & new diagnosis Junctional Melanocytic Nevus with Severe Atypia

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnant & new diagnosis Junctional Melanocytic Nevus with Severe Atypia

Participant
      I’m in my first trimester of pregnancy and the dermatologist is suggesting I get a 3 mm mole excised ASAP after the shave biopsy pathology report came back with Junctional Melanocytic Nevus with Severe Atypia. This is my only mole that is suspicious. I’ve had this mole since childhood but about 3 years ago noticed its shape changed. Do I really need to do the surgery now or can I wait until the baby is born in 8 months? Should I get a 2nd opinion from another dermatologist? I had a miscarriage a few months ago so really do not want to risk the pregnancy in any way.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Daisy2018
        Participant
          Hi there,
          I would get it off of me now, yesterday. This s.. doesn’t play games. It grows fast. Every millimeter of it counts. Your doctor suggests to remove it. Do it.
          I had had a mole all my life which changed shape and form all of a sudden. I had asked my family doctor to remove it on my physical appointment. She referred me to dermatologist. I waited 6 months and it had changed more. I finally went to see dermatologist. She removed it. It was staged as I B. I wish I paid attention sooner.
          Two years later I m stage IV and fighting for my life.
          This is not a difficult surgery and will not effect your little bun. If you were my daughter I would say remove it now.
          LRS88
          Participant
            Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!
            I would get the mole removed. When I was about 20 weeks pregnant I went to the derm for my skin check and pointed out a mole on my stomach, it was attributed to pregnancy (moles can darken during pregnancy, skin on my stomach was stretching.. etc). Less than a year after my baby was born that same mole kept changing and when it was finally removed, it was melanoma. It was still thin, fortunately, but I wish with everything in me I had it removed when I was pregnant possible BEFORE it turned into melanoma.
            AshleyS
            Participant
              Yes, congratulations on your pregnancy! Early detection and action is key. I urge you to remove the mole. I had a changing mole during my first pregnancy. It ended up being melanoma and I had a wide excision. Although they thought I was clear, the cancer spread during my second pregnancy a year later to my liver, lungs, and spine. I’m not telling you my story to scare you, it’s a rare story, but I do want to urge you to have the mole removed.

Ashley

JudiAU
              Participant
                Congrats on the Bebe. But yes, get it removed ASAP.
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics