The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy at stage 3

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy at stage 3

Participant

I know this topic has been brought up before.  I have tried to do a lot of research about it on my own. Is there a true correlation between pregnancy and melanoma.  I was diagnosed 6 weeks After giving birth to our first baby.  She will turn 1 in a month. ( hard to believe! :). We are not ready to have another one yet, but I have just been thinking about if it's a reality or not to even think of having another baby.  I went to mskcc for a 3rd opinion.  The dr I saw there, when having more children was brought. Up, said wait about 3 years.  My oncologist at the james center (Ohio state) said wait a year.  I'm just curious what your thoughts and opinions are.  I want to have another one, but also don't want to leave my daughter and husband.  I'm not sure what to think. Help! 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Prd10
        Participant

Hi!  I struggle a lot with the exact same thing. Interesting to see the opinions you have gotten.  I was diagnosed when my little boy was six months old.  My oncologist at the time said very clearly that young women have babies and young women get melanoma and they aren't related.  He told me to wait the full 5 years, but felt like it would eventually be safe.  The second Dr we saw basically told me it was very risky and I could leave my husband with a young baby, but I could if I wanted too.  Gee thanks right?!  

Both Drs are at melanoma centers for excellence.  I guess in my case I had small nodal involvement, but a larger primary.  Maybe that's why they seem more cautious than your opinions.  I also feel like they have to be related. Not arguing with the studies that have been done but have a hard time accepting the pregnancy didn't make the melanoma worse.

It is just such a struggle because I know that I am so lucky to be here and have a healthy boy, but I feel like cancer is taking that second baby away.  We haven't made a decision because we don't have to yet.  It sort of feels like it just keeps looming.  I know it's not our worst case scenario, cancer has given us that perspective but I still have a hard time with how much it has changed our lives.  I'm about a year from the 3 year mark with no scans scheduled until then.  I thought all along we would only wait for the 3 year mark and that the decision would get easier as we get closer, but it doesn't.  

Did you like your Drs at Sloan?  I'm based in Chicago and one of my Drs left.  I don't like me new dr AT ALL.  Maybe it's worth the trip to see the Drs at Sloan. 

Take care 

Prd10
          Participant

Hi!  I struggle a lot with the exact same thing. Interesting to see the opinions you have gotten.  I was diagnosed when my little boy was six months old.  My oncologist at the time said very clearly that young women have babies and young women get melanoma and they aren't related.  He told me to wait the full 5 years, but felt like it would eventually be safe.  The second Dr we saw basically told me it was very risky and I could leave my husband with a young baby, but I could if I wanted too.  Gee thanks right?!  

Both Drs are at melanoma centers for excellence.  I guess in my case I had small nodal involvement, but a larger primary.  Maybe that's why they seem more cautious than your opinions.  I also feel like they have to be related. Not arguing with the studies that have been done but have a hard time accepting the pregnancy didn't make the melanoma worse.

It is just such a struggle because I know that I am so lucky to be here and have a healthy boy, but I feel like cancer is taking that second baby away.  We haven't made a decision because we don't have to yet.  It sort of feels like it just keeps looming.  I know it's not our worst case scenario, cancer has given us that perspective but I still have a hard time with how much it has changed our lives.  I'm about a year from the 3 year mark with no scans scheduled until then.  I thought all along we would only wait for the 3 year mark and that the decision would get easier as we get closer, but it doesn't.  

Did you like your Drs at Sloan?  I'm based in Chicago and one of my Drs left.  I don't like me new dr AT ALL.  Maybe it's worth the trip to see the Drs at Sloan. 

Take care 

JoshF
              Participant

Where do you go in Chicago? I'm also in Chicago been to Rush, NWM and Advocate Lutheran General

Prd10
                Participant

Hey Josh – it's Caitlin.  I was referring to Dr. Kaufman and then the medical oncologist at Northwestern (not surgeon).  Maybe I should see what Advocate says, but I'm not there yet anyhow.  

Good luck on you MRI.  I was wondering how you were doing and then saw your update. Here's to hoping it's nothing.

Maggie – You are right.  I couldn't believe a Dr would say that, but those were his exact words.  At any rate, I'm just not there yet.  Our son was just 6 months old when I was diagnosed and all I wanted was to be here for him.  I admire your positive attitude. 

JoshF
                  Participant

Hi Caitlin-

It's been a while…hope you're well!!! Sounds like it whicj is great!!!

JoshF
                    Participant

Hi Caitlin-

JoshF
                      Participant

Hi Caitlin-

JC
                        Participant

so you liked Kaufman but not the guy at Northwestern?

JC
                          Participant

JoshF
                            Participant

Saw surgical onc at NWM…never saw Kuzel so I couldn't say….heard he is good though.

JoshF
                              Participant

Saw surgical onc at NWM…never saw Kuzel so I couldn't say….heard he is good though.

JoshF
                                Participant

Prd10
                                  Participant

Correct.  I loved Kaufman.  I felt so lucky to have him. He was so knowledgable and throrough.  I thought he was honest, but also optimistic and encouraging and he was so excited about the new melanoma drugs.

At Northwestern to me it's just much more impersonal and not as positive.  I know he's obviously a good dr but he sees multiple types of cancer, and isn't as involved in melanoma.  When Kaufman left we went to Northwestern hoping to have a baby at Prentice.  Kaufman's recommendations were either loyala or Lutheran general.  

At this point I just hope I don't need much more care!  

Prd10
                                    Participant

Correct.  I loved Kaufman.  I felt so lucky to have him. He was so knowledgable and throrough.  I thought he was honest, but also optimistic and encouraging and he was so excited about the new melanoma drugs.

At Northwestern to me it's just much more impersonal and not as positive.  I know he's obviously a good dr but he sees multiple types of cancer, and isn't as involved in melanoma.  When Kaufman left we went to Northwestern hoping to have a baby at Prentice.  Kaufman's recommendations were either loyala or Lutheran general.  

Prd10
                                      Participant

JC
                                        Participant

Prd10
                                          Participant

Hey Josh – it's Caitlin.  I was referring to Dr. Kaufman and then the medical oncologist at Northwestern (not surgeon).  Maybe I should see what Advocate says, but I'm not there yet anyhow.  

Good luck on you MRI.  I was wondering how you were doing and then saw your update. Here's to hoping it's nothing.

Maggie – You are right.  I couldn't believe a Dr would say that, but those were his exact words.  At any rate, I'm just not there yet.  Our son was just 6 months old when I was diagnosed and all I wanted was to be here for him.  I admire your positive attitude. 

Prd10
                                            Participant

JoshF
                                              Participant

Where do you go in Chicago? I'm also in Chicago been to Rush, NWM and Advocate Lutheran General

JoshF
                                                Participant

Happy_girl
                                                  Participant

I really did like the dr at sloan.  I worked with dr coit because he ended up doing my clnd.  He was wonderful!  We may continue to use them- once a year – not sure yet since its at 8 hr drive- 🙂

Happy_girl
                                                    Participant

I really did like the dr at sloan.  I worked with dr coit because he ended up doing my clnd.  He was wonderful!  We may continue to use them- once a year – not sure yet since its at 8 hr drive- 🙂

Happy_girl
                                                      Participant

Squash
                                                        Participant

I think they are related given that melanoma has been linked with estrogen therefore it is not much of a stretch to believe that some sort of hormonal influence is at play.

I guess thou that doesnt really change much given you still have to deal with the reality of the melanoma diagnosis.

Squash
                                                          Participant

I think they are related given that melanoma has been linked with estrogen therefore it is not much of a stretch to believe that some sort of hormonal influence is at play.

I guess thou that doesnt really change much given you still have to deal with the reality of the melanoma diagnosis.

Squash
                                                            Participant

Prd10
                                                            Participant

Take care 

DZnDef
                                                              Participant

Your husband could be hit by a bus and leave you to raise your child alone.  The future is unknown and unknowable.  Live the life you want to live.  If something bad happens, deal with it then.  I suspect your second child would rather exist than not.  If you want another child, have one.  None of us get any guarantees.  Best of luck to you.

DZnDef
                                                                Participant

Your husband could be hit by a bus and leave you to raise your child alone.  The future is unknown and unknowable.  Live the life you want to live.  If something bad happens, deal with it then.  I suspect your second child would rather exist than not.  If you want another child, have one.  None of us get any guarantees.  Best of luck to you.

DZnDef
                                                                  Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                      Participant

Very true! It is so hard! We have time…. My brain sometimes just wanders to my daughter having a sibling…. 

Prd10
                                                                        Participant

Me too!  My siblings are everything to me.  I'm 1 of 4 and we are very close.  I want my son to have that.  I think for me I feel like if I were to die I would want him to have a sibling . That probably sounds bad but we have been through health issues with my parents and just life in general, and I just couldn't imagine life without them.  I go back and forth a lot though bc it is scary.  Keep me updated.  It's nice to know I'm not alone (and sorry if I took over your post).  It's been on my mind constantly.  I just had my two year scans which is great but then I started in with this baby thing.  I've managed to keep positive and strong and never thought that when I hit a milestone then the bouts of depression would set in. Argh.  So unpredictable this life with cancer (or in general). Take care

Prd10
                                                                          Participant

Me too!  My siblings are everything to me.  I'm 1 of 4 and we are very close.  I want my son to have that.  I think for me I feel like if I were to die I would want him to have a sibling . That probably sounds bad but we have been through health issues with my parents and just life in general, and I just couldn't imagine life without them.  I go back and forth a lot though bc it is scary.  Keep me updated.  It's nice to know I'm not alone (and sorry if I took over your post).  It's been on my mind constantly.  I just had my two year scans which is great but then I started in with this baby thing.  I've managed to keep positive and strong and never thought that when I hit a milestone then the bouts of depression would set in. Argh.  So unpredictable this life with cancer (or in general). Take care

Prd10
                                                                            Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                              Participant

Very true! It is so hard! We have time…. My brain sometimes just wanders to my daughter having a sibling…. 

Happy_girl
                                                                                Participant

AshleyS
                                                                                Participant

Well, I only have an opinion and no medical expertise, BUT I sincerely believe there is a link between pregnancy and melanoma/cancer. 

I noticed a strange mole during my first pregnancy in 2012. I mentioned it to my OB but he said I shouldn't worry and skin changes were normal during pregnancy. Well, 6 months after having my daughter I had the mole removed. It was melanoma with a 1.95 Breslow thickness. I had a PET and a sentinel node biopsy and both were clear. I asked all my doctors if I was safe to have another baby and none of them thought there'd be an issue. 

Since it took us 3 years to have our daughter, we started trying when she was about 16 months. This time we got pregnant right away. At 20 weeks pregnant I found a lump in my groin, had it removed, and found out my melanoma had spread. I had a lymphadectomy but waited for further treatment and testing until our baby was born. 

My son was born 4 weeks ago and 3 weeks ago I found out my melanoma spread to multiple parts on my body and my liver. 

My doctors cannot/will not confirm that my melanoma and pregnancies are related, but there is no doubt in my mind. When I was pregnant and thought I was stage 3, I was sad that I could not have more babies. Now, I just want to be here for my babies! 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                                  Participant

Well, I only have an opinion and no medical expertise, BUT I sincerely believe there is a link between pregnancy and melanoma/cancer. 

I noticed a strange mole during my first pregnancy in 2012. I mentioned it to my OB but he said I shouldn't worry and skin changes were normal during pregnancy. Well, 6 months after having my daughter I had the mole removed. It was melanoma with a 1.95 Breslow thickness. I had a PET and a sentinel node biopsy and both were clear. I asked all my doctors if I was safe to have another baby and none of them thought there'd be an issue. 

Since it took us 3 years to have our daughter, we started trying when she was about 16 months. This time we got pregnant right away. At 20 weeks pregnant I found a lump in my groin, had it removed, and found out my melanoma had spread. I had a lymphadectomy but waited for further treatment and testing until our baby was born. 

My son was born 4 weeks ago and 3 weeks ago I found out my melanoma spread to multiple parts on my body and my liver. 

My doctors cannot/will not confirm that my melanoma and pregnancies are related, but there is no doubt in my mind. When I was pregnant and thought I was stage 3, I was sad that I could not have more babies. Now, I just want to be here for my babies! 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                                                    Participant

Ashley

Prd10
                                                                                        Participant

Ashley – I am so sorry you are going through this.  This is my fear.  My OB actually told me my mole was fine bc it had been there my entire life, and also that skin changes were normal.  I waited months bc I believed him and by the time it was removed it was 2.6. I too firmly believe they are linked, which is my hesitation.

I wish you the best, and hope one of the new therapies gives you lots of time with your babies.  

Prd10
                                                                                          Participant

Ashley – I am so sorry you are going through this.  This is my fear.  My OB actually told me my mole was fine bc it had been there my entire life, and also that skin changes were normal.  I waited months bc I believed him and by the time it was removed it was 2.6. I too firmly believe they are linked, which is my hesitation.

I wish you the best, and hope one of the new therapies gives you lots of time with your babies.  

Prd10
                                                                                            Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                                              Participant

I'm so sorry and thanks so much for sharing your story.  Melanoma is cruel and very hard mentally to deal with! 

Happy_girl
                                                                                                Participant

I'm so sorry and thanks so much for sharing your story.  Melanoma is cruel and very hard mentally to deal with! 

AnitaLoree
                                                                                                  Participant

Hello Happy Girl:  I am so sorry that any new Mom or Dad has to deal with disease like melanoma when you have that wonderful miraculous new little Person filling your life.  Oh, if only that happiness and joy could instantly heal. I think it is reasonable to suspect a link with appearance of malignant melanoma and pregnancy, IF one has already got latent melanoma site(s) that are in early disorganization.  With the hormonal changes in the mom's body and the lowering of the immune system so as not to cause rejection of the fetus (a foreign body), it stands to reason that low grade malignant melanoma would find this an opportune time to grow.  Pregnancy does allow some autoimmune disorders, multiple sclerosis for example, to become worse with pregnancy.

While caring for a baby and having to deal with all the appointments, tests and anxiety wasn't on your A list, it is what it is.  Fortunately, some very helpful meds are now available. Lots of exciting posts on the efficacy of PD-1s.  It's working for my husband, and SE's are low.

I am hoping that you can find an excellent melanoma oncologist at a good Mel Treatment Ctr, deal successfully with treatment so that you can get on with growing your family and celebrate living. A.L.

AnitaLoree
                                                                                                    Participant

Hello Happy Girl:  I am so sorry that any new Mom or Dad has to deal with disease like melanoma when you have that wonderful miraculous new little Person filling your life.  Oh, if only that happiness and joy could instantly heal. I think it is reasonable to suspect a link with appearance of malignant melanoma and pregnancy, IF one has already got latent melanoma site(s) that are in early disorganization.  With the hormonal changes in the mom's body and the lowering of the immune system so as not to cause rejection of the fetus (a foreign body), it stands to reason that low grade malignant melanoma would find this an opportune time to grow.  Pregnancy does allow some autoimmune disorders, multiple sclerosis for example, to become worse with pregnancy.

While caring for a baby and having to deal with all the appointments, tests and anxiety wasn't on your A list, it is what it is.  Fortunately, some very helpful meds are now available. Lots of exciting posts on the efficacy of PD-1s.  It's working for my husband, and SE's are low.

I am hoping that you can find an excellent melanoma oncologist at a good Mel Treatment Ctr, deal successfully with treatment so that you can get on with growing your family and celebrate living. A.L.

AnitaLoree
                                                                                                      Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the encouragement!  Hope all is going well for you! 

Happy_girl
                                                                                                          Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                                                            Participant

Happy_girl
                                                                                                              Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                Participant

I'm so sorry, Ashley. No one should have to go through something like that. You'll be in my prayers that whatever treatment route you take will keep you with those babies for a long, long time. Hugs.

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                  Participant

I'm so sorry, Ashley. No one should have to go through something like that. You'll be in my prayers that whatever treatment route you take will keep you with those babies for a long, long time. Hugs.

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                      Participant

I don't have a medical background but Anita makes a lot of sense on this one.  It would be reasonable that pregnancy with its hormonal changes may trigger melanoma, but really only if it is pretty much "already there".  Meaning it was likely to show up at some point anyway.  How else to explain all of us that have melanoma without pregnancy (which I'm guessing is most of us)?  So by having a child, maybe you accelerated the appearance of your melanoma by a year or two.  But you now have two wonderful children as well.  They get to exist and experience all that life has to offer.

DZnDef
                                                                                                                        Participant

I don't have a medical background but Anita makes a lot of sense on this one.  It would be reasonable that pregnancy with its hormonal changes may trigger melanoma, but really only if it is pretty much "already there".  Meaning it was likely to show up at some point anyway.  How else to explain all of us that have melanoma without pregnancy (which I'm guessing is most of us)?  So by having a child, maybe you accelerated the appearance of your melanoma by a year or two.  But you now have two wonderful children as well.  They get to exist and experience all that life has to offer.

DZnDef
                                                                                                                          Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                          Participant

I was just a couple days ago reading a few articles about melanoma being the cancer most likely to spread from mother to fetus through the blood after coming across a reference to Addison Cox who was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma at just a couple months old. I'd never heard of that happening, nor had I heard that pregnancy can also increase the mother's risk, though Addison's mom was diagnosed while pregnant or shortly after birth. I can see that it would be a very, very tough decision to make. I am an only child, so I suspect I would choose to just have one; it would be an even more difficult decision for a couple with no children. Ah, this disease is vile in so many ways!

Janner
                                                                                                                              Participant

While melanoma can spread to the fetus… look at the numbers from this abstract from 2003.  6 times since 1866.  Probably doesn't include Addison Cox, but rare is rare.

In a comprehensive literature review by Alexander et al. (2003), the authors found that since 1866, only 87 cases of placental or fetal metastasis have been reported. Interestingly, despite the fact that melanoma is not the most common malignancy during pregnancy, it is the most likely to metastasize to the placenta, accounting for 27/87 (31%) of the cases. Fetal metastasis occurred in 6 of the 27 cases, with 5 of these 6 infants succumbing to metastatic disease.

Janner
                                                                                                                                Participant

While melanoma can spread to the fetus… look at the numbers from this abstract from 2003.  6 times since 1866.  Probably doesn't include Addison Cox, but rare is rare.

In a comprehensive literature review by Alexander et al. (2003), the authors found that since 1866, only 87 cases of placental or fetal metastasis have been reported. Interestingly, despite the fact that melanoma is not the most common malignancy during pregnancy, it is the most likely to metastasize to the placenta, accounting for 27/87 (31%) of the cases. Fetal metastasis occurred in 6 of the 27 cases, with 5 of these 6 infants succumbing to metastatic disease.

Janner
                                                                                                                                  Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I was just a couple days ago reading a few articles about melanoma being the cancer most likely to spread from mother to fetus through the blood after coming across a reference to Addison Cox who was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma at just a couple months old. I'd never heard of that happening, nor had I heard that pregnancy can also increase the mother's risk, though Addison's mom was diagnosed while pregnant or shortly after birth. I can see that it would be a very, very tough decision to make. I am an only child, so I suspect I would choose to just have one; it would be an even more difficult decision for a couple with no children. Ah, this disease is vile in so many ways!

JustMeInCA
                                                                                                                                    Participant

rick1981
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi ,

I was thinking about exactly the same thing the other day (the correlation between pregnancy and melanoma) as I have been seeing more and more stories appear here on MPIP and other melanoma forums about the disease showing up during pregnancy.

My wife has had a mole on her back for a long time but it never caught our attention until it started bleeding only days after she found out she was pregnant (via IUI). She was operated on during her pregnancy and then stage IV was discovered two days after our daughter was born. I’m not saying it caused the melanoma but it seems very clear that it accelerated it.

What about collecting all pregnancy & melanoma stories and sharing it with specialists?

• Would you be willing to share your story and your name?
                                                                                                                                        • Would you be willing to make it available to doctors?

A quick search here on the forum resulted in stories from AshleyS, Happy_girl, Pdr10, Lav4789, sunshinlilyrose, shz1256, cemcnair, katieherwig, AnnaBanana30, Natasha, bdhf, teri0915, AllyNTAus, AngelaM, Fighting Mama, sofistef  … and that was just after 5mins of searching.                         

I’m happy to consolidate it and find the right MD to share this with, in the hope that they could re-open a research and potentially result in new findings on melanoma and pregnancy.

Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi ,

I was thinking about exactly the same thing the other day (the correlation between pregnancy and melanoma) as I have been seeing more and more stories appear here on MPIP and other melanoma forums about the disease showing up during pregnancy.

My wife has had a mole on her back for a long time but it never caught our attention until it started bleeding only days after she found out she was pregnant (via IUI). She was operated on during her pregnancy and then stage IV was discovered two days after our daughter was born. I’m not saying it caused the melanoma but it seems very clear that it accelerated it.

What about collecting all pregnancy & melanoma stories and sharing it with specialists?

A quick search here on the forum resulted in stories from AshleyS, Happy_girl, Pdr10, Lav4789, sunshinlilyrose, shz1256, cemcnair, katieherwig, AnnaBanana30, Natasha, bdhf, teri0915, AllyNTAus, AngelaM, Fighting Mama, sofistef  … and that was just after 5mins of searching.                         

I’m happy to consolidate it and find the right MD to share this with, in the hope that they could re-open a research and potentially result in new findings on melanoma and pregnancy.

Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi ,

Rick

Prd10
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Rick,

Wow!  I can't beleive you found that many of us in a quick search.  I'd be more than happy to share.  

I know Sloan did a study a while back, but it would be interesting to see more data.  After I was diagnosed I went back to my big stack of pregnancy books, and not one mentioned having skin changes checked by a dermatologist.  Most said that skin changes were normal and nothing to be concerned about during pregnancy.  I can certainly accept some responsibility, but melanoma wasn't even on my radar at 28.  I always wonder where I'd be if my OB had suggested I just get it checked out.  Guess it probably wouldn't have changed much.

Prd10
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Rick,

Wow!  I can't beleive you found that many of us in a quick search.  I'd be more than happy to share.  

I know Sloan did a study a while back, but it would be interesting to see more data.  After I was diagnosed I went back to my big stack of pregnancy books, and not one mentioned having skin changes checked by a dermatologist.  Most said that skin changes were normal and nothing to be concerned about during pregnancy.  I can certainly accept some responsibility, but melanoma wasn't even on my radar at 28.  I always wonder where I'd be if my OB had suggested I just get it checked out.  Guess it probably wouldn't have changed much.

Prd10
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Rick,

AshleyS
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I'd be very happy to help out as well!

AshleyS
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

AshleyS
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

jessicaerin02
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Rick,

i too would be happy to participate, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

i have many of the same concerns and am having a tough time wondering if I'll be able to carry another pregnancy. (Daughter is almost 1 yr, she was 7 months when I diagnosed stage 3a). 

take care,

jessica 

kdsteenberg
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hello! I have been reading the comments from this post, as I have been wondering same with pregnancy and melanoma.  I had a thin melanoma during my second child and a year later had another melanoma that was not biopsied until late.  My PA (derm) wanted to monitor the mole, 5 months later it was stage 3a.  One lymphnode effected and had a total of 9 removed.   I was told to wait 2 years.  I got a second opinion from MDAnderson which informed me to wait two years, but my oncologist at Roswell said, if melanoma will come back, it will come back. pregnant or not. 

Anyone else go through with their pregnancy after their diagnosis?

Thank you so much for any response. 

kathryn

jessicaerin02
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Rick,

i too would be happy to participate, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

i have many of the same concerns and am having a tough time wondering if I'll be able to carry another pregnancy. (Daughter is almost 1 yr, she was 7 months when I diagnosed stage 3a). 

take care,

jessica 

jessicaerin02
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Rick,

take care,

jessica 

RHG77
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I know I'm late to this board, but I'm happy to participate as well. Brief background: I was diagnosed with Stage 1 melanoma in 2009, had an in situ mole in 2010, and reached Stage 3c two months after my first (and only) child was born in 2016 (found out it was a likely possibility the day after he was born but the first biopsy was a false negative). I also wonder if fertility treatments impact the causal connection between melanoma and pregnancy. Like your wife, we used IUI and I was on fertility medication. 

Christiane29
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                                      I know this post is not very up to date but I also want to let you know, that my stage 3a melanoma from 2017 spread to my lungs (diagnosed shortly after giving birth) during pregnancy.
                                                                                                                                                                Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics