The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy and Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy and Melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone!

Would be very nice to hear from people , who become pregnant with dianosis.

This is very important for me.

I developed my primary melanoma during IVF to become pregnant,I lost my child so it is nice to know I can risk and become pregnant again.

One of doctors said I cannot risk ,because hormones can effect second melanoma.

Another doctor said go ahead now.

Nurse recommended to wait for couple of years.

I am lost in all opinions. I am thinking about adoption anywhere , but would be nice to have biological child as well.

Hi everyone!

Would be very nice to hear from people , who become pregnant with dianosis.

This is very important for me.

I developed my primary melanoma during IVF to become pregnant,I lost my child so it is nice to know I can risk and become pregnant again.

One of doctors said I cannot risk ,because hormones can effect second melanoma.

Another doctor said go ahead now.

Nurse recommended to wait for couple of years.

I am lost in all opinions. I am thinking about adoption anywhere , but would be nice to have biological child as well.

Whould be very important for me to hear real stories of real people ,not just statistic facts.

Thank you very much

Natasha

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

Hi Natasha,

My Mom has melanoma so I am on the board reading and  learning as much as I can. I can across your post the other day and email my fertility doctor to ask him the association with melanoma and IVF. This is what he wrote back to me:

I have never heard of an association with melanoma. To my knowledge it is not a hormone-dependent tumor – so not really biologically plausible.

I hope this information helps you.

Wendy

WendyPam
          Participant

Hi Natasha,

My Mom has melanoma so I am on the board reading and  learning as much as I can. I can across your post the other day and email my fertility doctor to ask him the association with melanoma and IVF. This is what he wrote back to me:

I have never heard of an association with melanoma. To my knowledge it is not a hormone-dependent tumor – so not really biologically plausible.

Wendy

WendyPam
            Participant

Hi Natasha,

Wendy

Fighting Mama
              Participant

Hi there,

My situation is a little different but I do have experience with pregnancy and melanoma. This may not be what you want to hear but it is my reality. My primary was diagnosed in 2002 and at the time I was 23 years old (right foot- one positive node- stage III). I had my daughter in 2005 with zero complications. Early 2011 I became pregnant with my son and at 19 weeks I started to get "lumps" one on my forearm, two on my abdomen and one on my shoulder. To say the least this sent me and my family on a rollercoaster from hell…I had just celebrated 9 years being NED and a reoccurrence was the furthest thing from my mind! Otherwise my pregnancy was going beautifully. We were counseled on termination but declined and we now have a healthy, beautiful six month old! My melanoma MD (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) didn't feel as though one caused the other but more a bad coincidence since many folks who are diagnosed with melanoma are of child bearing age. I was "officially" restaged 4 weeks after delivery (I had a scheduled section at 34 weeks to expedite things) and the placenta was thoroughly tested with no evidence of melanoma. A huge blessing! Since my son was premature he did have difficultly with respiratory distress and was in the NICU for about 3 weeks. My family support has been tremendous but times have been really, really challenging, emotionally and physically. 

–Amy

Fighting Mama

Fighting Mama
                Participant

Hi there,

My situation is a little different but I do have experience with pregnancy and melanoma. This may not be what you want to hear but it is my reality. My primary was diagnosed in 2002 and at the time I was 23 years old (right foot- one positive node- stage III). I had my daughter in 2005 with zero complications. Early 2011 I became pregnant with my son and at 19 weeks I started to get "lumps" one on my forearm, two on my abdomen and one on my shoulder. To say the least this sent me and my family on a rollercoaster from hell…I had just celebrated 9 years being NED and a reoccurrence was the furthest thing from my mind! Otherwise my pregnancy was going beautifully. We were counseled on termination but declined and we now have a healthy, beautiful six month old! My melanoma MD (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance) didn't feel as though one caused the other but more a bad coincidence since many folks who are diagnosed with melanoma are of child bearing age. I was "officially" restaged 4 weeks after delivery (I had a scheduled section at 34 weeks to expedite things) and the placenta was thoroughly tested with no evidence of melanoma. A huge blessing! Since my son was premature he did have difficultly with respiratory distress and was in the NICU for about 3 weeks. My family support has been tremendous but times have been really, really challenging, emotionally and physically. 

–Amy

Fighting Mama

Fighting Mama
                  Participant

Hi there,

–Amy

Fighting Mama

CLPrice31
                    Participant

2 doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center told me to wait 2 years after my initial diagnosis–I'm stage III A. They told me that a lot of people differ on opinions regarding melanoma & pregnancy, but they personally believe that pregnancy does not cause your melanoma to spread. My surgeon once told me that she thinks a lot of people find their primary melanoma's during pregnancy because they are noticing other skin changes that happen with pregnancy. The main issue in their eyes is that the ability to treat melanoma during pregnancy. Best wishes to you!

CLPrice31
                      Participant

2 doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center told me to wait 2 years after my initial diagnosis–I'm stage III A. They told me that a lot of people differ on opinions regarding melanoma & pregnancy, but they personally believe that pregnancy does not cause your melanoma to spread. My surgeon once told me that she thinks a lot of people find their primary melanoma's during pregnancy because they are noticing other skin changes that happen with pregnancy. The main issue in their eyes is that the ability to treat melanoma during pregnancy. Best wishes to you!

CLPrice31
                        Participant

AngelaM
                          Participant
                            Hi
                            I had my first melanoma before my pregnancy and it was In situ. Nothing was mentioned to me about the risks of pregnancy and melanoma, and I didn’t research the topic at all because my melanoma was caught so early. I just put it behind me and a while later fell pregnant. 3 months after the birth my derm found another melanoma, and at that point she told me that it was probably due to the pregnancy. Her explanation was the immunosuppressed state of pregnancy, that she said is thought to be a cause. I then had my third melanoma a few month later and this was deeper than the first two. At this point I was sent to an oncologist who told me that the second and third melanomas were probably pregnancy related since they occurred within a year of pregnancy. He said that the body produces melanin while pregnant and the skin becomes unstable.

To wrap up they said don’t fall pregnant until you have been melanoma free for at least 2 years from the 3rd melanoma, if you don’t get more! I probably will given that I’ve had 3 in 2 yrs, but I’m hoping not. The oncologist also told me not to take birth control as did my gynae, who happens to an oncologist himself. When my derm and I spoke about harvesting eggs and looking for a surrogate as an alternative to me carrying a second baby, she seemed overly cautious about the idea, saying that the hormonal therapies required could once again result in more melanomas, even though melanoma is thought not to be a hormonal cancer.

This is just my experience when questioning my own doctors on the topic. Hope it gives you some insight.

My opinion is that you should go ahead and try for a baby and just have full body checks. My doctors even told me that if I’m adamant about having another they will put me under strict surveillance and hopefully catch new primary melanomas as early as possible.

natasha
                              Participant

Thank you very much for this information! Thanks everyone !

I do think pregnancy is lowing down our immune system and it does have correlation with melanoma .

We are considerring adoption now ,because my husband cannot have childrens naturally and I am melanoma patient now.

Thank you for your support and sharing your stories.

God bless you.

natasha
                                Participant

I do think pregnancy is lowing down our immune system and it does have correlation with melanoma .

We are considerring adoption now ,because my husband cannot have childrens naturally and I am melanoma patient now.

God bless you.

natasha
                                  Participant

God bless you.

AngelaM
                                  Participant
                                    Hi
                                    I had my first melanoma before my pregnancy and it was In situ. Nothing was mentioned to me about the risks of pregnancy and melanoma, and I didn’t research the topic at all because my melanoma was caught so early. I just put it behind me and a while later fell pregnant. 3 months after the birth my derm found another melanoma, and at that point she told me that it was probably due to the pregnancy. Her explanation was the immunosuppressed state of pregnancy, that she said is thought to be a cause. I then had my third melanoma a few month later and this was deeper than the first two. At this point I was sent to an oncologist who told me that the second and third melanomas were probably pregnancy related since they occurred within a year of pregnancy. He said that the body produces melanin while pregnant and the skin becomes unstable.

To wrap up they said don’t fall pregnant until you have been melanoma free for at least 2 years from the 3rd melanoma, if you don’t get more! I probably will given that I’ve had 3 in 2 yrs, but I’m hoping not. The oncologist also told me not to take birth control as did my gynae, who happens to an oncologist himself. When my derm and I spoke about harvesting eggs and looking for a surrogate as an alternative to me carrying a second baby, she seemed overly cautious about the idea, saying that the hormonal therapies required could once again result in more melanomas, even though melanoma is thought not to be a hormonal cancer.

This is just my experience when questioning my own doctors on the topic. Hope it gives you some insight.

My opinion is that you should go ahead and try for a baby and just have full body checks. My doctors even told me that if I’m adamant about having another they will put me under strict surveillance and hopefully catch new primary melanomas as early as possible.

AngelaM
                                    Participant
                                      Hi

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics