The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy and melanoma …IMPORTANT FINDINGS!

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy and melanoma …IMPORTANT FINDINGS!

• Replies
      dian in spokane
      Participant

Mary,

Thakns for posting this! While it stresses that the studies involved were small, it's the first time I've read ANY study on this board that looks at the possibilty of a correlation between hormones and melanoma. Considering how often we hear questions here about it, I'm surprised this wasn't posted before (I see the date is 09). I wonder if any follow up studies have been done?'

For those who didn't read the whole article, it shows no significant difference in prognosis for women who develop melanoma before or after pregnancy.

While I am sure that the decision to have children after a melanoma diagnosis is still fraught with tension and worries, it's nice to see that this particular worry is irrelevant.

Thanks again, I'll save this article for future use.

Dian

MaryMary73
          Participant

I'm going to be seeing my dermatologist for my first follow up visit in March. I will ask him about pregnancy / hormones and melanoma. My husband and I are getting on in years (both turning 38 this year) and we still have no kids yet we have 7 embryos waiting for us at our fertility clinic. I have been too scared to go ahead and try again with another embryo transfer after my diagnosis but this article was quite interesting. My dermatologist has about 30 years of experience in the field and I'm sure he will be able to answer my questions.

MaryMary73
            Participant

I'm going to be seeing my dermatologist for my first follow up visit in March. I will ask him about pregnancy / hormones and melanoma. My husband and I are getting on in years (both turning 38 this year) and we still have no kids yet we have 7 embryos waiting for us at our fertility clinic. I have been too scared to go ahead and try again with another embryo transfer after my diagnosis but this article was quite interesting. My dermatologist has about 30 years of experience in the field and I'm sure he will be able to answer my questions.

dian in spokane
            Participant

Mary,

Thakns for posting this! While it stresses that the studies involved were small, it's the first time I've read ANY study on this board that looks at the possibilty of a correlation between hormones and melanoma. Considering how often we hear questions here about it, I'm surprised this wasn't posted before (I see the date is 09). I wonder if any follow up studies have been done?'

For those who didn't read the whole article, it shows no significant difference in prognosis for women who develop melanoma before or after pregnancy.

While I am sure that the decision to have children after a melanoma diagnosis is still fraught with tension and worries, it's nice to see that this particular worry is irrelevant.

Thanks again, I'll save this article for future use.

Dian

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics