The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy and Melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy and Melanoma?

Participant

Has anyone developed melanoma while pregnant or shortly after?

I just think it's intresting that two moles on my body changed while I was pregnant with my son and turns out they were both melanoma in situ. I just wonder if there's a link since your body chemistry changes so much while your pregnant.

Has anyone developed melanoma while pregnant or shortly after?

I just think it's intresting that two moles on my body changed while I was pregnant with my son and turns out they were both melanoma in situ. I just wonder if there's a link since your body chemistry changes so much while your pregnant.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

I think it is deffinately corelation between melanoma and pregnancy .

Hormones are the answer.

I had my IVF treatment ,so I injected in my body ''pregnancy '' hormones even in bigger dosage then during ''normal'' pregnancy.

I ended up with melanoma on my breast.

I was told I better not  to be pregnant during next 3 years.Because me and my husband already had problems with pregnancy before my diagnosys ,so I cannot see it can happen in 3 years.We are adopitng.

And yes ,I heard a lot of stories , women developed melanoma during pregnancy

natasha
          Participant

Hormones are the answer.

I had my IVF treatment ,so I injected in my body ''pregnancy '' hormones even in bigger dosage then during ''normal'' pregnancy.

I was told I better not  to be pregnant during next 3 years.Because me and my husband already had problems with pregnancy before my diagnosys ,so I cannot see it can happen in 3 years.We are adopitng.

natasha
            Participant

Hormones are the answer.

bdhf
              Participant

3 months after the birth of my first child, I had a mole on my back removed that was melanoma in situ.  5 months after the birth of my second child, a 3 cm tumor was found in my brain.  

Although all my doctors do not think they are directly related, it is extremely suspicous in my and my husbands mind.  I will not be getting pregnant again!  

In addition, I am a strong believer that stress contributes to the susceptibility of a person to develop cancer.  The last 3 years have been the most stressful of my life.  Add the immune system suppression that pregnancy causes and the high risk factors that I possess for melanoma and it was a perfect storm.  

mlbjab
                  Participant

I find your story very shocking and scary because I've had a few in situs and told I am fine and there is not a capacity for spreading, it is not possible.  I am wondering if you had your pathology looked at more than once and if it was done by dermatopathoalogist?  I read you were in military and I am sorry to say I am ex military and found the care to be sub-par.  I hope you will have many healthy years in front of you.  You are living my worst fear because us in situ folks are always told no reason to worry that it cannot spread or that our odds are as good as getting hit by a bus, but there have been quite a few articles posted and stories where it did indeed spread to stage IV. 

mlbjab
                    Participant

I find your story very shocking and scary because I've had a few in situs and told I am fine and there is not a capacity for spreading, it is not possible.  I am wondering if you had your pathology looked at more than once and if it was done by dermatopathoalogist?  I read you were in military and I am sorry to say I am ex military and found the care to be sub-par.  I hope you will have many healthy years in front of you.  You are living my worst fear because us in situ folks are always told no reason to worry that it cannot spread or that our odds are as good as getting hit by a bus, but there have been quite a few articles posted and stories where it did indeed spread to stage IV. 

mlbjab
                      Participant

natasha
                        Participant

Yes , Iwas told the same by Doctors – the same chanse to spread as to be hitted by car .

Even main is 0.2 mm Radial phase.

So I am wondering as well how is it possible for insitu to spread?? Or it means we should have second opinion?

natasha
                          Participant

Yes , Iwas told the same by Doctors – the same chanse to spread as to be hitted by car .

So I am wondering as well how is it possible for insitu to spread?? Or it means we should have second opinion?

natasha
                            Participant

bdhf
                            Participant

3 months after the birth of my first child, I had a mole on my back removed that was melanoma in situ.  5 months after the birth of my second child, a 3 cm tumor was found in my brain.  

Although all my doctors do not think they are directly related, it is extremely suspicous in my and my husbands mind.  I will not be getting pregnant again!  

In addition, I am a strong believer that stress contributes to the susceptibility of a person to develop cancer.  The last 3 years have been the most stressful of my life.  Add the immune system suppression that pregnancy causes and the high risk factors that I possess for melanoma and it was a perfect storm.  

bdhf
                              Participant

teri0915
                                Participant
                                  Ive been researching this practically religiously since i was diagnosed while pregnant with my son, i had had this mole for as long as i remember and it did not change until i became pregnant. Some doctors say they have a direct correlation with each other and other doctors say there is no connection. I dont understand how they say they cant be connected. When your pregnant your body tells everything to grow, so why not cancer cells? Maybe the cells were already in our bodies? I dont know but its confusing! I agree with the other reply too. I am 25 and my husband and I have one son and i want to get my tubes tied for this exact reason. I dont want another pregnancy to spark another lesion and i dont want to take the risk of the melanoma passing to the baby.
                                  teri0915
                                  Participant
                                    Ive been researching this practically religiously since i was diagnosed while pregnant with my son, i had had this mole for as long as i remember and it did not change until i became pregnant. Some doctors say they have a direct correlation with each other and other doctors say there is no connection. I dont understand how they say they cant be connected. When your pregnant your body tells everything to grow, so why not cancer cells? Maybe the cells were already in our bodies? I dont know but its confusing! I agree with the other reply too. I am 25 and my husband and I have one son and i want to get my tubes tied for this exact reason. I dont want another pregnancy to spark another lesion and i dont want to take the risk of the melanoma passing to the baby.
                                    teri0915
                                    Participant
                                      AngelaM
                                      Participant

My doctor's tell me there's a definite link, even though the research suggests that the link remains unclear.

I had a melanoma in situ 3 months before falling pregnant with my son, then a stage 1a melanoma in the third trimester which was removed shortly after the birth, then a stage 1b melanoma 5 months later. My oncologist warned me that the second and third melanomas were pregnancy related. My dermatologist also warned me that she has seen many women present with thick melanomas during pregnancy that grow much faster than usual, and that it is still unclear whether pregnancy activates micrometastatic disease. Also, the body's immune system is such as that the fetus does not get rejected during pregnancy – much like cancer.

I was told never to have another pregnancy, and to be sterilised just in case.

AngelaM
                                        Participant

My doctor's tell me there's a definite link, even though the research suggests that the link remains unclear.

I had a melanoma in situ 3 months before falling pregnant with my son, then a stage 1a melanoma in the third trimester which was removed shortly after the birth, then a stage 1b melanoma 5 months later. My oncologist warned me that the second and third melanomas were pregnancy related. My dermatologist also warned me that she has seen many women present with thick melanomas during pregnancy that grow much faster than usual, and that it is still unclear whether pregnancy activates micrometastatic disease. Also, the body's immune system is such as that the fetus does not get rejected during pregnancy – much like cancer.

AngelaM
                                          Participant

AngelaM
                                            Participant

AngelaM
                                              Participant

AngelaM
                                                Participant

AllyNTAus
                                                  Participant
                                                    Hi, I have had a similar experience, I had a fairly large mole on my mid back that was there for a long time as best I can remember, while I was pregnant with my son during 2010, my husband remarked that he thought it was growing. I didn’t think much of it to start with, but then I touched it and it felt a bit sore. 6 months after giving birth I finally got around to having it removed, unfortunately it was Clark III and 1.1mm thick, and just over a year later, I have significant lymph node involvement and tiny spots in the lungs.
                                                    While I have never investigated just whether being pregnant did set the whole thing off (I was never going to have another baby anyway), I do have a strong feeling that it had something to do with it. Kicking myself for waiting those 6+ months to do anything about it!
                                                    AllyNTAus
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi, I have had a similar experience, I had a fairly large mole on my mid back that was there for a long time as best I can remember, while I was pregnant with my son during 2010, my husband remarked that he thought it was growing. I didn’t think much of it to start with, but then I touched it and it felt a bit sore. 6 months after giving birth I finally got around to having it removed, unfortunately it was Clark III and 1.1mm thick, and just over a year later, I have significant lymph node involvement and tiny spots in the lungs.
                                                      While I have never investigated just whether being pregnant did set the whole thing off (I was never going to have another baby anyway), I do have a strong feeling that it had something to do with it. Kicking myself for waiting those 6+ months to do anything about it!
                                                      AllyNTAus
                                                      Participant
                                                        spj
                                                        Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma when I was 30 weeks pregnant. My doctors are telling me that I should not get pregnant again because there is not enough research to show whether there is a link between pregnancy. They think the link could have something to do with the immune system (not the hormones). Does anyone know of any doctors who are specifically looking/researching this potential link?

spj
                                                          Participant

I was diagnosed with melanoma when I was 30 weeks pregnant. My doctors are telling me that I should not get pregnant again because there is not enough research to show whether there is a link between pregnancy. They think the link could have something to do with the immune system (not the hormones). Does anyone know of any doctors who are specifically looking/researching this potential link?

spj
                                                            Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics