The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Prednisone….does it affect Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Prednisone….does it affect Yervoy

Participant

I have been on prednisone for 5 months because of Yervoy induced colitis.  I am tapering off…slowly.  Could prednisone, which lowers the immune response, adversly affect Yervoy…..I guess this question really goes along with my previous post concerning my post Yervoy scans……Thank you for your input.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Hey Nell,

I recently heard (I think on here) that there is a belief prednisone may not adversely impact Yervoy treatment.  For the reason you mentioned in your post prednisone use with Yervoy was a concern for many.  What I remember hearing is researchers think the Tcells prednisone restricts are a different type of Tcell than the ones which fight the melanoma.  Unfortunately I don't have a study to link that theory to so all I can offer is hearsay.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Hey Nell,

I recently heard (I think on here) that there is a belief prednisone may not adversely impact Yervoy treatment.  For the reason you mentioned in your post prednisone use with Yervoy was a concern for many.  What I remember hearing is researchers think the Tcells prednisone restricts are a different type of Tcell than the ones which fight the melanoma.  Unfortunately I don't have a study to link that theory to so all I can offer is hearsay.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Hey Nell,

Brian

Julie in SoCal
              Participant

Hi Nell,

I don't have a study in hand, but my Rock Star Doc told me it did not effect IPI's response, and he was one of the major researchers on it.  Also I was on it for a little while (drove me crazy!) and I have responded.

Trusting you'll be a complete responder, too!

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

Hi Nell,

I don't have a study in hand, but my Rock Star Doc told me it did not effect IPI's response, and he was one of the major researchers on it.  Also I was on it for a little while (drove me crazy!) and I have responded.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Hi Nell,

Julie

Patina
                    Participant
                      My Mom had colitis too. Twice in fact. We tried the pills for months. My Mom ended up trying enemas and it cleared up within days. And it was not anything like what she thought it would be. Super easy and Fast!

Talk to your doctor.

Patina
                      Participant
                        My Mom had colitis too. Twice in fact. We tried the pills for months. My Mom ended up trying enemas and it cleared up within days. And it was not anything like what she thought it would be. Super easy and Fast!

Talk to your doctor.

Patina
                        Participant

Talk to your doctor.

WITom
                          Participant

I was on prednisone for iPi induced colitis – not as long as you & don't remember the dosages – and am a complete responder with no other treatment than the iPi 

I hope and pray you are a responder as well – Tom

Nell
                              Participant

Thank you all for the responses. I am really grateful that the prednisone will not affect the work Yervoy is doing!  I would love to be a complete responder, but maybe a stable condition is what I am looking at. I am grateful that I responded to Yervoy at all!   Of  course, I still hope it will continue to work……Don't know what to expect.  Merry Christmas and many blessings to all.

Nell
                                Participant

Thank you all for the responses. I am really grateful that the prednisone will not affect the work Yervoy is doing!  I would love to be a complete responder, but maybe a stable condition is what I am looking at. I am grateful that I responded to Yervoy at all!   Of  course, I still hope it will continue to work……Don't know what to expect.  Merry Christmas and many blessings to all.

Nell
                                  Participant

WITom
                                  Participant

I was on prednisone for iPi induced colitis – not as long as you & don't remember the dosages – and am a complete responder with no other treatment than the iPi 

WITom
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics