The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pre-scan anxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Pre-scan anxiety

Participant
      I guess I’m just looking for support.

I don’t know my original path report by heart, but I was dx in may 2009. I was pregnant at the time so I had to wait 4 weeks to find out what stage I was. 12 days after I had my son I had the WLE and SNB. They found cancer in a node in my neck. Had 2nd surgery a month and a half later where they removed the rest of the nodes came back clear. After all was said and done I was stage 3.

I have had a scan since then and it was clear, but I’ve been in constant pain at the surgery site (left neck and shoulder). I’ve been taking ultram for it but the pain is making me paranoid. I guess it’s just Pre-scan anxiety, but I’m really freaked out that they are going to find something on Thursday.
      I have been very positive until this last week.

Any encouraging words, support, or your experiences are welcome and appreciated

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        RMcLegal
        Participant

Don't know if this helps, but the "scanxiety" never really ends no matter how many times you're scanned.  I was diagnosed Stage IIIc in 2003, underwent biochemotherapy, and have since racked up seven-plus years of "no worries" checkups and scans.  But I'm still scared each and every time.  Hang in there.  I've blogged about the good stuff and funny stuff in being a patient at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com.  Best wishes to you.

RMcLegal
          Participant

Don't know if this helps, but the "scanxiety" never really ends no matter how many times you're scanned.  I was diagnosed Stage IIIc in 2003, underwent biochemotherapy, and have since racked up seven-plus years of "no worries" checkups and scans.  But I'm still scared each and every time.  Hang in there.  I've blogged about the good stuff and funny stuff in being a patient at http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com.  Best wishes to you.

NancyGM
            Participant

I had lymph node dissection of my right neck region and nerve damage has caused me to have lack of full mobility and a lot of discomfort in shoulder and neck.

I get scanxiety, too.That last week before a scan I am kind of a pain to live with! I have been NED at stage IV for 3 years and the  only thing I have found that helps is to remain as distracted as possible and to remember that some folks here are responding well to treatments.

I wish you the best on Thursday. Hopefully, you won't have to wait long for results. Hugs!

NancyGM
              Participant

I had lymph node dissection of my right neck region and nerve damage has caused me to have lack of full mobility and a lot of discomfort in shoulder and neck.

I get scanxiety, too.That last week before a scan I am kind of a pain to live with! I have been NED at stage IV for 3 years and the  only thing I have found that helps is to remain as distracted as possible and to remember that some folks here are responding well to treatments.

I wish you the best on Thursday. Hopefully, you won't have to wait long for results. Hugs!

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

Your anxiety is normal for most of us.  Like many I've ridden the "rails" on so many MRI's and CT's that I know techs by name, kikds, and marital status.  Yet one think remains constant and that's the natural reaction to upcoming scans and the wait for resutls.

I'm not an expert on post surgical scars, adhesions and pains, but from what others said that's what I would suspect.  In any event call your surgeon's office for a check.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                  Participant

Your anxiety is normal for most of us.  Like many I've ridden the "rails" on so many MRI's and CT's that I know techs by name, kikds, and marital status.  Yet one think remains constant and that's the natural reaction to upcoming scans and the wait for resutls.

I'm not an expert on post surgical scars, adhesions and pains, but from what others said that's what I would suspect.  In any event call your surgeon's office for a check.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Ohdearjessica
                    Participant
                      Thanks for the responses!

I have bloodwork and a visit with my oncologist right after I have my scan. I’m not sure if he will have the results right away or I have to wait. Waiting is the worst part. Last time I had bloodwork he had the results immediately. I forgot what happened last time I had a scan.

I have been taking anti-anxiety meds the past few days. Tomorrow is the day so hopefully I’ll be able to relax after. In any case, I know that no matter what happens I have super supportive friends and I’d be able to get through anything with them! And of course my wonderful son. He’s still too little to understand any of this, but I can count on his hugs when I’m feeling down

KRob
                        Participant

I think you found the answer to your original question/concern. First, share with those who understand what you're feeling; secondly, receive love and support from those who love you the most.

Hope all went well and your stress is gone.

Sincerely,

Karen

KRob
                          Participant

I think you found the answer to your original question/concern. First, share with those who understand what you're feeling; secondly, receive love and support from those who love you the most.

Hope all went well and your stress is gone.

Sincerely,

Karen

Ohdearjessica
                          Participant
                            Thanks for the responses!

I have bloodwork and a visit with my oncologist right after I have my scan. I’m not sure if he will have the results right away or I have to wait. Waiting is the worst part. Last time I had bloodwork he had the results immediately. I forgot what happened last time I had a scan.

I have been taking anti-anxiety meds the past few days. Tomorrow is the day so hopefully I’ll be able to relax after. In any case, I know that no matter what happens I have super supportive friends and I’d be able to get through anything with them! And of course my wonderful son. He’s still too little to understand any of this, but I can count on his hugs when I’m feeling down

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics