The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Yervoy – mets to lungs have grown

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Yervoy – mets to lungs have grown

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

Good Day fellow warriors!

It's been a long time since I've posted here since I thought I wasn't going to need to again.  However, I've updated my profile with all the happenings of the past year, so if you'd like a complete update, please check that out.

Good Day fellow warriors!

It's been a long time since I've posted here since I thought I wasn't going to need to again.  However, I've updated my profile with all the happenings of the past year, so if you'd like a complete update, please check that out.

Summary…I hat spots on my lungs this past April, which they scanned 3 months later and they had grown to 7mm and 12mm.  Biopsy confirmed melanoma, so Dr. Chmielowski of UCLA started me on the Yervoy treatment.  I was able to complete 3 of the 4 injections before I came down with severe colitis which landed me in the hospital from 8-11 Nov (got discharged Veteran's Day of all things).  They started me on 100mg of Prednisone which I'm not happy about, but it's made the colitis much better for now.  I've started tappering 10mg a week and I'm at 90mg now.  Needless to say, I'm not finishing the Yervoy treatment.

PET/CT scan the other day showed that the spots in my lungs have grown to 9mm and 22mm, but there are no other remarkable locations of melanoma, so at least it's not spreading to anywhere else yet.  The next steps we came up with are to remove the nodes via surgery and test them for the BRAF mutation.  If positive, I'll go on BRAF inhibitor drug post-surgery and see how things go.  I'm running this plan by my docs at MD Anderson too, just to make sure they wouldn't do anything different.

All-in-all I actually feel good, I'm eating, not quite exercising yet, but walking when I can, got good meds to help me sleep, and I'm not symptomatic from the cancer at all.

So, any comments or suggestions out there from folks on other trials that may be also promising for someone like me?  Also, we're wondering if there may even be a delayed response from the Yervoy and maybe it'll go to work later.  I'm not very hopeful about this since they have me on such high dose steroids and my immune system is just getting shot to pieces from that.

Also, I just want to say to everyone on here…keep fighting this hard, not only for yourself, but for those you love and who love you.  It's the fight in us that makes us strong, and through our strength we will have victory.  Peace.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics