The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Superficial Node Dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Superficial Node Dissection

Participant

Hello,

I underwent a superficial lymph node dissection (left groin) for management of Stage IIIa melanoma on May 18th. The operation went very well and thankfully the pathology came back negative. I had a total of 4 node that were removed as part of the sentential mapping 2 superficial on the RT and 2 on LT one superficial and one deep. Only the superficial node on the LT was positive.

Prior to my questions let me say that I have spoken with my surgeon and was instructed to rest until my appointment on Tue unless my condition changes.

Hello,

I underwent a superficial lymph node dissection (left groin) for management of Stage IIIa melanoma on May 18th. The operation went very well and thankfully the pathology came back negative. I had a total of 4 node that were removed as part of the sentential mapping 2 superficial on the RT and 2 on LT one superficial and one deep. Only the superficial node on the LT was positive.

Prior to my questions let me say that I have spoken with my surgeon and was instructed to rest until my appointment on Tue unless my condition changes.

I would like to hear from some people who have had this procedure/

My question and reason for this post is to gage the recovery time of this operation.

1. I have two drains still in place. The output of the drains is slowing down but I am noticing increased drainage from around the primary site of the drains. Is this normal?

2. As I was informed by my surgeon the location of the incision makes it difficult to heal, femoral triangle to a few inched on the abdomen (through the waistline). I am following directions and spending most of my time reclined to limit pressure on the incision. What is normal heal time for an incision in this area if all goes well and I avoid infection?

3. I seem to have some mild swelling (no redness or heat) in my upper thigh but due to the numbness of my thigh it is difficult to gage. Is this common? When does it begin to go away?

Any and all thought and comments greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Allen

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jimjoeb
        Participant

I have a similar procedure scheduled for June 10 so I will be watchingn the replies to your thread.

Do you know why the surgeon decided to take superficial only and not superficial and deep? I had only one positive sentinal of the three that were mapped and it is in the left groin areas.

awg
            Participant

We discussed a complete dissection.

During my initial node mapping and biopsy I had a deep and superficial node on the LT removed. Only the superficial node was positive so after much discussion the best approach seemed to remove only the superficial node since the biopsy of deep sentinel node was negative.I am 35 and wanted to minimize the potential complications and side effects of lymph node removal as much as possible. I was comfortable with going with the odds on this and avoiding a much more invasive surgery required to remove deep nodes. With the clean pathology of the superficial node I feel I/we made the right decision.

I wish you well and hope your recovery is going well.

Allen

aynw
              Participant

Hello. 

I'm not sure if I will be of any help, but I had a superficial node dissection done May 11th.  I only had 1 drain in, and was having similar issues with it slowing down and some draining around the tube, as well as extensive swelling on one side of the incision (the side the drain was not on).  I went in to get things checked out last Friday and the surgeon felt there was some infection beginning so removed the drain, and drained the area where the swelling was with a needle.  It wasn't all that pleasant, but the general area sure felt better after.  The swelling came back shortly after and I will have to continue going in to get it drained until the fluid buildup slows down.

I have also started experiencing general swelling of the entire leg (lymphadema I think) which I hope is only temporary. 

I wasn't given any specific instructions on when to resume normal activity, but have tried to let my body be the gage.  I have begun driving again a little over the last few days, and can get around fairly well – albeit slowly.  I just need to try to put my leg up regularly and take some time to rest.

The good news is my results also came back negative, the first bit of positive news in a number of months:)

Take care,

Ayn 

aynw
                Participant

Hello. 

I'm not sure if I will be of any help, but I had a superficial node dissection done May 11th.  I only had 1 drain in, and was having similar issues with it slowing down and some draining around the tube, as well as extensive swelling on one side of the incision (the side the drain was not on).  I went in to get things checked out last Friday and the surgeon felt there was some infection beginning so removed the drain, and drained the area where the swelling was with a needle.  It wasn't all that pleasant, but the general area sure felt better after.  The swelling came back shortly after and I will have to continue going in to get it drained until the fluid buildup slows down.

I have also started experiencing general swelling of the entire leg (lymphadema I think) which I hope is only temporary. 

I wasn't given any specific instructions on when to resume normal activity, but have tried to let my body be the gage.  I have begun driving again a little over the last few days, and can get around fairly well – albeit slowly.  I just need to try to put my leg up regularly and take some time to rest.

The good news is my results also came back negative, the first bit of positive news in a number of months:)

Take care,

Ayn 

awg
                  Participant

We discussed a complete dissection.

During my initial node mapping and biopsy I had a deep and superficial node on the LT removed. Only the superficial node was positive so after much discussion the best approach seemed to remove only the superficial node since the biopsy of deep sentinel node was negative.I am 35 and wanted to minimize the potential complications and side effects of lymph node removal as much as possible. I was comfortable with going with the odds on this and avoiding a much more invasive surgery required to remove deep nodes. With the clean pathology of the superficial node I feel I/we made the right decision.

I wish you well and hope your recovery is going well.

Allen

jimjoeb
                  Participant

I have a similar procedure scheduled for June 10 so I will be watchingn the replies to your thread.

Do you know why the surgeon decided to take superficial only and not superficial and deep? I had only one positive sentinal of the three that were mapped and it is in the left groin areas.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics