The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post oiperative pain / discomfort

Forums General Melanoma Community Post oiperative pain / discomfort

Participant

I had a Lobectomy in April 2011 for a Metatisised Malignant Melanoma stage 4. Primary was possibly an in-situ MM removed from my ear lobe in 2006 but that is speculation. No other primary could be found. I was not put on any treatment. I was due to have my first follow-up exam in August 2011 but in July I was experiencing some severe pain in my rib area on the same side as the surgery. Felt and still feels like a knife being jerked around inside me. The pain is not ongoing but comes in bursts but very seldom at night so generally I have a good night's sleep.

I had a Lobectomy in April 2011 for a Metatisised Malignant Melanoma stage 4. Primary was possibly an in-situ MM removed from my ear lobe in 2006 but that is speculation. No other primary could be found. I was not put on any treatment. I was due to have my first follow-up exam in August 2011 but in July I was experiencing some severe pain in my rib area on the same side as the surgery. Felt and still feels like a knife being jerked around inside me. The pain is not ongoing but comes in bursts but very seldom at night so generally I have a good night's sleep. Various scans were undertaken and the following were the results:

CT Scan of lungs with injection – pseudo tumor – no worries.

Oncologist not happy so full body bone scan – shows possible tumor on 7 / 8th ribs but this scan highlights all bone irregularities so the assumption is that rib damaged during lung surgery. Given a nerve block and pain tablets. No worries according to surgeon.

I wait 8 weeks, pain remains, go back and a very clear Scan of my ribs only indicates that I have a delayed rib repair. Blood count shows clean for cancer. I get referred to a Physiotherapist. They conjure all sorts of reasons for the pain and I get some very aggressive treatment and am pretty well bruised. It seems nerve ends trying to heal and masses af scar tissue account for most of the pain. After each visit new pains develop and they deal with these. I have now had 5 weekly treatments but the basic pain in the same spot of a knife that also feels like a very bad stitch remains. I am not really responding – or am I?

The bottom line is this – is there anybody out there that may have experienced similar issues and if so, what was the diagnosis? Is it something that will go away over a period of time after the operation, or not?

My other question is – apart from a bone tumor (which, I understand, is painful but thank God, it appears not to be) is there any other Metatisised MM that is painful (i.e. a tumor say behind the ribs like where I am experiencing the worst of the pain) because it is pressing a nerve or something. Is this possible?

My issue is that they did not do a PET Scan as I thought they were going to do and it freaks me out that maybe there is a painful tumor inside me that we are not aware of, which also did not show up on any of the scans they took.    Please help me with an answer so that I can put this to bed.

I see such wonderful responses in this bulletin board and really trust that someone out there can help me.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

I don't have experience with a situation like this.

I'm just "answering" here to push your request back to the first page, so someone with experience may see it.

W.
          Participant

I'm just "answering" here to push your request back to the first page, so someone with experience may see it.

W.
            Participant

jag
              Participant

Ok, so here is the deal, (at least my experience) My first VATS surgery left me with a scar that I can feel right underneath my lower left rib, (front side) that was very painful after I first had surgery, since the pain has gone down, I just can't do as many situps as I used to.Painful first year, now I hardly even notice it.

jag
                Participant

Ok, so here is the deal, (at least my experience) My first VATS surgery left me with a scar that I can feel right underneath my lower left rib, (front side) that was very painful after I first had surgery, since the pain has gone down, I just can't do as many situps as I used to.Painful first year, now I hardly even notice it.

jag
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics