The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible Stage 1; PET Scan???

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible Stage 1; PET Scan???

Participant

Hello,

I unfortunately am not new here.  Although, I have been fortunate that I have never gone to this board to get information for myself, I now need it for a second family member. 

Here is what I know:

Diagnosed with superficial melanoma less than 1 millimeter thick.  I have not seen the path report yet to know whether or not there was ulceration or what the mitotic rate is.  The WLE was done last week and the path results are not yet in.  Met with oncologists today and they are opting to do a PET Scan.  Seems to me this would classified as Stage 1A or 1B and the SLND should be warranted.

Thoughts?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Stage IA, no SNB.  Stage IB, depends on what institution.  Some still have cutoff values for depth for the SNB.  PET scan is rarely done and does NOT replace a SNB.  PET scans only see tumors of about 5mm or larger and would miss microscopic cells in a sentinel node.  In fact, PET scans are rarely done for stage I at any time so that seems a bit out of whack to start. 

Janner
          Participant

Stage IA, no SNB.  Stage IB, depends on what institution.  Some still have cutoff values for depth for the SNB.  PET scan is rarely done and does NOT replace a SNB.  PET scans only see tumors of about 5mm or larger and would miss microscopic cells in a sentinel node.  In fact, PET scans are rarely done for stage I at any time so that seems a bit out of whack to start. 

Janner
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics