The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible recurrence?

Participant
      Hi there. I had a Malignant Melanoma removed from below my left ankle almost 6 years ago. I’m down to a yearly full body check with dermatologists, luckily nothing has really popped up. Just wondering if anyone has had anything similar to this. In the last 8 weeks I’ve had a irregular tiny brown spot grow out of no where. It’s on the same foot as my original melanoma along with being on the same side. I showed my GP today and she is concerned. I’m waiting to hear from the dermatologists about whether they want to biopsy it straight away or it can wait till I next see them in 2 weeks.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        courtney2015
        Participant
          Sorry I meant 2 Months, not two weeks
          courtney2015
          Participant
            courtney2015
            Participant
              273c
              Participant

I wouldn't wait.  

Not to to scare you but I have seen several stage 3 and 4 stories start with, "I had a little spot removed 6-10 years ago…" 

A lot has changed in the melanoma world in 6 years.  You need some full body CT/PET scans.  There are now treatment options.  

JC
                  Participant

"I have seen several stage 3 and 4 stories start with, "I had a little spot removed 6-10 years ago…" 

those are the exceptions, not the rule.  to truly not scare you, that is what you should focus on

JC
                    Participant

"I have seen several stage 3 and 4 stories start with, "I had a little spot removed 6-10 years ago…" 

those are the exceptions, not the rule.  to truly not scare you, that is what you should focus on

JC
                      Participant

273c
                      Participant

I wouldn't wait.  

Not to to scare you but I have seen several stage 3 and 4 stories start with, "I had a little spot removed 6-10 years ago…" 

A lot has changed in the melanoma world in 6 years.  You need some full body CT/PET scans.  There are now treatment options.  

273c
                        Participant

I wouldn't wait.  

michaelinsocal
                          Participant

Hi Courtney, it sounds like we both had similar locations for our melanoma. Mine appeared in a pinto bean size lump I had on the outer part of my left foot, also just below the ankle. What was strange in my case is the lump had been there for 20 years without changing size or color. It wasn't until it darkened ever so slightly in the center that my wife had me go check it out. My DX was stage 3A spindle cell melanoma. That was in Oct of 2013. Three surgeries later I'm holding on strong. I get my second set of scans in a couple of weeks.

I wish you the best and I will pray for you that you continue to be reoccurrence free. And like most have said, don't wait, demand they work you in so they can biopsy it and hopefully provide you with piece of mind.

mike

michaelinsocal
                            Participant

Hi Courtney, it sounds like we both had similar locations for our melanoma. Mine appeared in a pinto bean size lump I had on the outer part of my left foot, also just below the ankle. What was strange in my case is the lump had been there for 20 years without changing size or color. It wasn't until it darkened ever so slightly in the center that my wife had me go check it out. My DX was stage 3A spindle cell melanoma. That was in Oct of 2013. Three surgeries later I'm holding on strong. I get my second set of scans in a couple of weeks.

I wish you the best and I will pray for you that you continue to be reoccurrence free. And like most have said, don't wait, demand they work you in so they can biopsy it and hopefully provide you with piece of mind.

mike

michaelinsocal
                              Participant

mike

courtney2015
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks for all the replies guys. My referral has been faxed off to the dermatologists so will wait a few days to see if they contact me. Hopefully it’s just a silly benign growth. Best wishes to everyone!
                                    courtney2015
                                    Participant
                                      Thanks for all the replies guys. My referral has been faxed off to the dermatologists so will wait a few days to see if they contact me. Hopefully it’s just a silly benign growth. Best wishes to everyone!
                                      casagrayson
                                      Participant

I hope you get that referral!  Fortunately, we have a dermatologist who is committed to early treatments of cancers and has carved out time in his schedule so that ANY patient (not just melanoma patients) with a troubling lesion will be seen within ten days of contacting his office.  I wish more dermatologists felt so strongly.

casagrayson
                                        Participant

I hope you get that referral!  Fortunately, we have a dermatologist who is committed to early treatments of cancers and has carved out time in his schedule so that ANY patient (not just melanoma patients) with a troubling lesion will be seen within ten days of contacting his office.  I wish more dermatologists felt so strongly.

casagrayson
                                          Participant

courtney2015
                                            Participant
                                        Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics