The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible Recurrence

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible Recurrence

Participant
      Last year I was diagnosed with 2A and had a wide excision at the spot of the melanoma (just below and to the left of my left knee) and a sentinel lymph node biopsy, which was negative.

I found a lump last week about 2 inches below my scar that is about the size of a quarter so my general practitioner has scheduled an MRI to check out the site.

I’m not an anxious person by nature, but I am curious. Anyone else on here had something similar happen? What were your results?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Newmanbell
        Participant
          My husband had a lump 2 inches below his scar. The dermatologist said it was just scar tissue, 6 months later he kept itching it and when I felt it I knew it was something. Sure enough melanoma. Definitely have it checked by oncologist.
            Amy Green
            Participant
              Thank you! My general practitioner has ordered an MRI with contrast of the area and if it comes back worrisome they will send everything to my oncologist.
              I’ve noticed another lump on my arm now that I did not notice before. This one is sore so now I’m curious what’s going on. Still waiting for the radiologist to call to schedule the MRI and getting impatient!
              Indymom
              Participant
                Time is important when it comes to melanoma. Do you know if your initial melanoma tumor was BRAF positive? If it wasn’t tested, and an MRI shows suspect melanoma, the next step would be to get a biopsy. A needle biopsy now would be able to determine if a suspect lump is melanoma. With a melanoma history I would personally skip the general practitioner for skin concerns & get onboard with a dermatologist.
                Treadlightly
                Participant
                  Amy,

I was diagnosed as 2A in 2010, and have had multiple scares of possible recurrences since then, which have all turned out to be nothing. The most recent was earlier this year…I had a superficial lump approximately the size of a pea about 8 inches from my original melanoma site. I was actually more disturbed by that discovery than I was for my original diagnosis. Thankfully…it turned out NOT to be melanoma, but just a benign accumulation of blood vessels mixed with muscle tissue and fat cells. I REALLY thought this was a recurrence of my Melanoma…but it wasn’t.

Believe me, I know it is extremely difficult…but try to keep an optimistic perspective. As bad as it may seem, It might still be nothing. Also, I agree with Indymom’s advice to skip the GP and go right to a dermatologist…if you can do so with your insurance. This is what I did, and it probably saved me a week or two of the most agonizing wait of my life. As stated earlier…time is always a critically important factor.

Best of luck for a good outcome,
                  Mark (still) 2A (and holding)

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics