The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Possible Lung Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Possible Lung Mets

Participant

Waiting for next scan in early November for Lung Met, Showed up 2 months ago for my 5 year NED from stage 3b. If it is "real" what are my options? Have been clear for 5 years since being a 3b NED since 2007. Did the Interferon for the Complete Course and am dealing with Lymphedema on the lower right side and am having a very,very hard time coping with the possible realization that "it" is back. What is the typical approach to this?

Waiting for next scan in early November for Lung Met, Showed up 2 months ago for my 5 year NED from stage 3b. If it is "real" what are my options? Have been clear for 5 years since being a 3b NED since 2007. Did the Interferon for the Complete Course and am dealing with Lymphedema on the lower right side and am having a very,very hard time coping with the possible realization that "it" is back. What is the typical approach to this?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wally
        Participant

So sorry about that but lets hope it is just a pseudo tumor and not malignant! OR did you have a pet scan done 2 months ago that indicated a positive reading and is this a follow up to confirm the diagnosis? I note you initially had melanoma in the toe, which was surgically removed some 5 years previously – was that your primary Mel?

This is my experience and may not necessarily work for you:

I had a primary (mole) in 2006 on my right ear lobe that was removed. It was claimed to be in-situ. It metastasized to the middle lobe of my right lung in 2011 and was resected (single tumor but pretty large at 20mm by 30mm) I had absolutely no treatment after that (by choice) and have been NED ever since and live a perfectly normal life. I never think of it and even forget to go for my quarterly check-ups now – I go every 6 months. Had a scare in July when a Pet Scan was done, they operated and removed the top right lobe of my lung but it was found to be a pseudo-tumor thus the NED status remaining. It was a false possitive. I had the op in August and was resuming my daily walk of 8 KM 2 weeks later, having started with 2 KM per day 2 days after being discharged from hospital.

If it is not multiple tumors I would say have the thing removed surgically. I have no regrets and unless there are compelling reasons for not going the surgical route as we all have different diagnosis, I would opt for the operation and avoid the chemical treatments if you can.

I really wish you all the best going forward and hope that whatever route you follow, will be beneficial. Fight the beast!

Wally
          Participant

So sorry about that but lets hope it is just a pseudo tumor and not malignant! OR did you have a pet scan done 2 months ago that indicated a positive reading and is this a follow up to confirm the diagnosis? I note you initially had melanoma in the toe, which was surgically removed some 5 years previously – was that your primary Mel?

I had a primary (mole) in 2006 on my right ear lobe that was removed. It was claimed to be in-situ. It metastasized to the middle lobe of my right lung in 2011 and was resected (single tumor but pretty large at 20mm by 30mm) I had absolutely no treatment after that (by choice) and have been NED ever since and live a perfectly normal life. I never think of it and even forget to go for my quarterly check-ups now – I go every 6 months. Had a scare in July when a Pet Scan was done, they operated and removed the top right lobe of my lung but it was found to be a pseudo-tumor thus the NED status remaining. It was a false possitive. I had the op in August and was resuming my daily walk of 8 KM 2 weeks later, having started with 2 KM per day 2 days after being discharged from hospital.

If it is not multiple tumors I would say have the thing removed surgically. I have no regrets and unless there are compelling reasons for not going the surgical route as we all have different diagnosis, I would opt for the operation and avoid the chemical treatments if you can.

I really wish you all the best going forward and hope that whatever route you follow, will be beneficial. Fight the beast!

Wally
            Participant

Wally
              Participant

Wally
                Participant

Wally
                  Participant

Wally
                    Participant

So sorry about that but lets hope it is just a pseudo tumor and not malignant! OR did you have a pet scan done 2 months ago that indicated a positive reading and is this a follow up to confirm the diagnosis? I note you initially had melanoma in the toe, which was surgically removed some 5 years previously – was that your primary Mel?

I had a primary (mole) in 2006 on my right ear lobe that was removed. It was claimed to be in-situ. It metastasized to the middle lobe of my right lung in 2011 and was resected (single tumor but pretty large at 20mm by 30mm) I had absolutely no treatment after that (by choice) and have been NED ever since and live a perfectly normal life. I never think of it and even forget to go for my quarterly check-ups now – I go every 6 months. Had a scare in July when a Pet Scan was done, they operated and removed the top right lobe of my lung but it was found to be a pseudo-tumor thus the NED status remaining. It was a false possitive. I had the op in August and was resuming my daily walk of 8 KM 2 weeks later, having started with 2 KM per day 2 days after being discharged from hospital.

I really wish you all the best going forward and hope that whatever route you follow, will be beneficial. Fight the beast!

Wally
                      Participant

So sorry about that but lets hope it is just a pseudo tumor and not malignant! OR did you have a pet scan done 2 months ago that indicated a positive reading and is this a follow up to confirm the diagnosis? I note you initially had melanoma in the toe, which was surgically removed some 5 years previously – was that your primary Mel?

I had a primary (mole) in 2006 on my right ear lobe that was removed. It was claimed to be in-situ. It metastasized to the middle lobe of my right lung in 2011 and was resected (single tumor but pretty large at 20mm by 30mm) I had absolutely no treatment after that (by choice) and have been NED ever since and live a perfectly normal life. I never think of it and even forget to go for my quarterly check-ups now – I go every 6 months. Had a scare in July when a Pet Scan was done, they operated and removed the top right lobe of my lung but it was found to be a pseudo-tumor thus the NED status remaining. It was a false possitive. I had the op in August and was resuming my daily walk of 8 KM 2 weeks later, having started with 2 KM per day 2 days after being discharged from hospital.

I really wish you all the best going forward and hope that whatever route you follow, will be beneficial. Fight the beast!

Wally
                        Participant

kylez
                          Participant

Sandy, how large is the possible lung met?

Since every case is slightly different I don't know if I can say what the typical approach is.  

But In my case on my scans they found 8 lesions/possible mets across both lungs. Because there were that many, in the case that it turned out to be melanoma, they wouldn't be recommending surgery but instead systemic treatment, because the assumption was that with that many (8) there was probably more disease that they weren't seeing. But they coulnd't start systemic treatment without confirmation – biopsy. Due to the small size of the lesions (largest was 9mm) they weren't confident they could do a (non-surgical) needle biopsy, so they did a Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) on one lung to confirm. After that, as it turned out to be metatstatic in my case, I began systemic therapy (IL-2). 

With a single lung lession only, I believe that surgical removal can be a treatment option. So, if the current suspcious lesion is large enough, maybe they could do a needle biopsy to confirm before going further (e.g., surgical resection?) The other choice you may be given (if disease is confirmed by biopsy) would be a systemic treatment like Yervoy, or perhaps a clinical trial. You'd need to discuss with your oncologist (hopefully a melanoma specailist — it sounds like your doc does specialize in melanoma?)

Good luck, Kyle

kylez
                            Participant

Since every case is slightly different I don't know if I can say what the typical approach is.  

But In my case on my scans they found 8 lesions/possible mets across both lungs. Because there were that many, in the case that it turned out to be melanoma, they wouldn't be recommending surgery but instead systemic treatment, because the assumption was that with that many (8) there was probably more disease that they weren't seeing. But they coulnd't start systemic treatment without confirmation – biopsy. Due to the small size of the lesions (largest was 9mm) they weren't confident they could do a (non-surgical) needle biopsy, so they did a Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) on one lung to confirm. After that, as it turned out to be metatstatic in my case, I began systemic therapy (IL-2). 

With a single lung lession only, I believe that surgical removal can be a treatment option. So, if the current suspcious lesion is large enough, maybe they could do a needle biopsy to confirm before going further (e.g., surgical resection?) The other choice you may be given (if disease is confirmed by biopsy) would be a systemic treatment like Yervoy, or perhaps a clinical trial. You'd need to discuss with your oncologist (hopefully a melanoma specailist — it sounds like your doc does specialize in melanoma?)

Good luck, Kyle

kylez
                              Participant

Good luck, Kyle

Roxy1453
                                Participant
                                  Surgery could be a good option. Every case is different but I had lung surgery to remove three spots in my right lung and just a scope surgery to remove two spots in my left. It’s not fun but the spots are gone. It’s been a year now and I have no new spots! I go back the middle of Nov for another PET scan.
                                  Roxy1453
                                  Participant
                                    Surgery could be a good option. Every case is different but I had lung surgery to remove three spots in my right lung and just a scope surgery to remove two spots in my left. It’s not fun but the spots are gone. It’s been a year now and I have no new spots! I go back the middle of Nov for another PET scan.
                                    Roxy1453
                                    Participant
                                  Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics