The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

POG – Personalized Oncogenomics

Forums General Melanoma Community POG – Personalized Oncogenomics

Participant

Hi all, its been a while, so I'm still on the Nivo maintenance and everything's stable, so no complaints there. However I've been offered a place on British Columbia's POG research program, basically they run a DNA/RNA profile on my blood and on a tumour sample, compare the two and look for anomalies. This then allows them to recomend existing cancer treatments and non-cancer drugs that target cancer pathways, the coordinator presented a way more technical description of the process and I'm still digesting the 18 page consent form. Trial # NCT02155621 if you're interested in the technical detail

My question is does anyone on the board have experience of DNA profiling to guide treatment?

Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Tony,

My Rock Star Doc and I talked about this the last time I saw him. I've probably had too much prior treatment for melanoma,  but I may qualify for non-small cell lung cancer.  

I've reciently had a lot of medical stuff and I'd hoped to take a bit of a break, so I declined it for now.  Maybe next time.

Wishing you all the best with the POG Trial!

Shalom,

Julie

CindyJ
          Participant

Hi Tony, yes my mother is in this trial study https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT02693535?term=Targeted+agent+and+profiling+utilization+registry&cntry=US&rank=1

They did a genomic test on her tumor early last year after immunotherapy failed, which provided two specific mutations. One is CCND1 amplification. They put her on a breast cancer drug, Ibrance, which blocks that growth. She has been on it for a year and a half and though her tumor burden was low to begin with, she went NED six months ago. We did have a scare this last PET but it turned out a new lung nodule is pneumonia related.

Her oncologist is one of the doctors in charge of this study in the Salt Lake area. He really believes this is the future. Good luck with whatever you decide!

GeoTony
              Participant

Hi CindyJ, thanks for your reply, I'm currently stable with Nivo maintenance, due to end next March. However the option of genomic profiling and possible identification of a treatable cancer pathway is too good to miss. The more information, the better prepared for the future, with melanoma it changes with each scan. Good to hear your mother is NED, long may that last, Tony

CindyJ
                Participant

Thanks Tony! And so glad you are stable!! I agree, finding out your specific mutation(s) is something you can keep in your back pocket if needed down the road. Let us know what they find. Not sure if my mother and I stumbled into the perfect storm, but in our experience, it seems this is the way cancer should be treated instead of a one shop deal. Fingers crossed for you in the future!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics