The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Please help calm me going into the new year, poss recurrence stage 1B

Forums General Melanoma Community Please help calm me going into the new year, poss recurrence stage 1B

Participant

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with stage 1B (.97) ulcerated in Oct 2009 and had a WLE and SNB negative then on my lower back. They took lots of fat and muscle tissue from under there. Only follow-ups are derm appts every 6 months. I have had 2 children since then. Baby is 7 months old now and I do carry her a good bit of the day..however, MAJOR back pain started on Christmas, I had a little here and there that would go away up until then, but nothing like this. I can't even sleep at night. I am nursing and Tylenol did not touch the pain.

I also have some bruising and itching the few days before the severe pain. I did not fall or do anything in that area and those are the only symptoms I have had.

So now here I am with bad low back pain, right in area of origiinal mel, which radiates to front pelvic region. I am thinking the worst and having a hard time functioning.

Who do I even talk to about this the gynecologist, dermatologist, family doctor or chiropractor? Should I just take an antibiotic to see if it is something infected in the pelvic region. Blood work? CAT scan? What else can it be before thinking the worst? Nerve issues/bladder infection. It hurts even relaxing or sitting. Sigh..

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        mitchwendy
        Participant

I certainly understand your fear.  Contact your primary first. They should be able to help you.  It could be something totally a fluke, like sleeping in a weird position.  With the itch and bruising, my mind would have worked like yours though, too.  

Go in to one of your doctors, and please, keep us posted! 

mitchwendy
          Participant

I certainly understand your fear.  Contact your primary first. They should be able to help you.  It could be something totally a fluke, like sleeping in a weird position.  With the itch and bruising, my mind would have worked like yours though, too.  

mitchwendy
            Participant

POW
              Participant

Yes, that's one of the awful things about melanoma. Once you've had it– no matter how thin or thick the original lesion was– you can't  help worrying that every physical symptom you experience for the rest of your life could be the melanoma returning. You're not crazy; you're normal. However, the overwhelming liklihood is that this is NOT melanoma. Try to imagine how you would interpret this pain if you had never been diagnosed with melanoma. You would probably suspect any number of other causes, right? Try to think that way now.

Meanwhile, you should probably make appointments with both your primary care physician and your dermatologist. Get the first appointment for each that you can. Your primary care will most likely diagnose some non-melanoma problem and prescribe an approopriate treatment. But you will probably not be able to rest easy unless and until  your derm checks specifically for melanoma and clears you. So you might as well make both appointments now.

POW
                Participant

Yes, that's one of the awful things about melanoma. Once you've had it– no matter how thin or thick the original lesion was– you can't  help worrying that every physical symptom you experience for the rest of your life could be the melanoma returning. You're not crazy; you're normal. However, the overwhelming liklihood is that this is NOT melanoma. Try to imagine how you would interpret this pain if you had never been diagnosed with melanoma. You would probably suspect any number of other causes, right? Try to think that way now.

Meanwhile, you should probably make appointments with both your primary care physician and your dermatologist. Get the first appointment for each that you can. Your primary care will most likely diagnose some non-melanoma problem and prescribe an approopriate treatment. But you will probably not be able to rest easy unless and until  your derm checks specifically for melanoma and clears you. So you might as well make both appointments now.

POW
                  Participant

SABKLYN
                    Participant

I agree with POW.  See both your primary and derm.  If it was me, this would bring me max peace of mind!  

SABKLYN
                      Participant

I agree with POW.  See both your primary and derm.  If it was me, this would bring me max peace of mind!  

SABKLYN
                        Participant

Tina D
                          Participant

It is always a big concern when pain of unknown source arises. Remember there are MANY things that could be the culprit here. But, do have it checked as soon as possilbe by your Primary physician, if you do not have an oncologist.And if it were me, I would want a scan just to be on the safe side and to have that peace of mind. I have had pain arise as a result of "normal" health issues such as gall bladder, and abdominal adhesions… also sore and strained muscles, and the like. Some of the issues have still needed to be dealt with promptly– but were NOT life threatening or cancer related! When you have little ones, back strain or problems would not be out of the question. So, I encourage you to not let your mind fly to worst case scenario… but, I know that is easier said than done……

kab07011
                              Participant

Thanks everyone for their kind words. I am nervous about everything. I went to my PCP yesterday and got bloodwork and my xray. The xray came back fine (bone wise). The bloodwork they are checking for blood clotting time and low iron from the bruising. Also checking WBC and liver function testing. They did a urine test too to rule out kidney/uti  and infection type things since it radiates into my pelvis… Is there anything else she should look for? She said I could have itching over there from the bruises. They also adjusted my hips and back, which they said were very out of place. Though I have not had any relief yet from that yesterday. I guess the only way to go on with a CT scan is if any blood results are abnormal. Does this sound right? I should know later today or early Monday .

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Kim

kab07011
                                Participant

Thanks everyone for their kind words. I am nervous about everything. I went to my PCP yesterday and got bloodwork and my xray. The xray came back fine (bone wise). The bloodwork they are checking for blood clotting time and low iron from the bruising. Also checking WBC and liver function testing. They did a urine test too to rule out kidney/uti  and infection type things since it radiates into my pelvis… Is there anything else she should look for? She said I could have itching over there from the bruises. They also adjusted my hips and back, which they said were very out of place. Though I have not had any relief yet from that yesterday. I guess the only way to go on with a CT scan is if any blood results are abnormal. Does this sound right? I should know later today or early Monday .

Kim

kab07011
                                  Participant

Kim

Tina D
                                  Participant

It is always a big concern when pain of unknown source arises. Remember there are MANY things that could be the culprit here. But, do have it checked as soon as possilbe by your Primary physician, if you do not have an oncologist.And if it were me, I would want a scan just to be on the safe side and to have that peace of mind. I have had pain arise as a result of "normal" health issues such as gall bladder, and abdominal adhesions… also sore and strained muscles, and the like. Some of the issues have still needed to be dealt with promptly– but were NOT life threatening or cancer related! When you have little ones, back strain or problems would not be out of the question. So, I encourage you to not let your mind fly to worst case scenario… but, I know that is easier said than done……

Tina D
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics