The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Platelets low

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Platelets low

Participant

I realize that not many are on my husband's treatment plan but I thought I'd ask anyway in case someone reads this and can help.  My husband is on carbo/taxol chemo for Stage 3c mucosal and has been doing extremely well.  At his last appointment they could no longer feel any tumors at all and prior scans had shown continual shrinkage.   Until the next scan we have no way of knowing if they are gone or not but we are trying to stay positive.  He was to get a treatment today but his platelets are too low so they are going to try again next week.  Now

I realize that not many are on my husband's treatment plan but I thought I'd ask anyway in case someone reads this and can help.  My husband is on carbo/taxol chemo for Stage 3c mucosal and has been doing extremely well.  At his last appointment they could no longer feel any tumors at all and prior scans had shown continual shrinkage.   Until the next scan we have no way of knowing if they are gone or not but we are trying to stay positive.  He was to get a treatment today but his platelets are too low so they are going to try again next week.  Now I'm worried that by delaying the treatment a week that the big M will have a chance to take hold again.  In August a large tumor and several smaller ones popped up on his neck literally overnight and grew much larger everyday until he began treatment two weeks later.  After the first treatment there was a 75% reduction in tumor load and they've been shrinking ever since.  He gets treated every three weeks.  This would have been a scan day but at the last treatment when they could no longer feel anything they decided to wait another 3 weeks for the scan, making it 6 weeks between scans.  He has had 6 treatments and is to get 4 more.  Thoughts, anyone?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

I also have a low platent count and worried that they might stop my IPI treatment.

How low is your husband's platent count.

Good Luck

A.

sjl
            Participant

His platelets are at 81.  One other time his platelets had dropped to that level but by the time treatment day came the following week they were back up and he remained on schedule.  We are hoping that they are back up next week so he can be treated.  I would hate to put it off any further when he's been doing so well.  There's actually hope for a durable response on this regimen in his case and we sure don't want to mess things up now.

sjl
              Participant

His platelets are at 81.  One other time his platelets had dropped to that level but by the time treatment day came the following week they were back up and he remained on schedule.  We are hoping that they are back up next week so he can be treated.  I would hate to put it off any further when he's been doing so well.  There's actually hope for a durable response on this regimen in his case and we sure don't want to mess things up now.

sjl
                Participant

killmel
                Participant

I also have a low platent count and worried that they might stop my IPI treatment.

Good Luck

A.

killmel
                  Participant

Good Luck

A.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics