The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pigmentation in scar tissue

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Pigmentation in scar tissue

Participant

Hello, was wondering if someone could help me. I had a WLE in late December for a melanoma in situ on my chest area. Margins were clean, etc. While doing my skin check today, I noticed a few pigmented areas at the end of the scar. It's hard to know if there were there initially? Because of how the skin goes through so many color variations during the healing process. Plus, I used a new "MoleScope" device to take pictures of my moles, so of course it magnified the area. Now I am uncertain if this "normal" or not. I only had an insitu, so I wouldnt think anything could recur or spread? But don't also want to blow it off either:/

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I've had spots of pigmentation come and go from my WLE scar, it's pretty normal. Doesn't hurt to make a derm appointment to get it checked out if it doesn't go away, but I wouldn't overly worry about it.

Michelle820
            Participant

Thanks for your reply, Jen! I should've added it is brown pigmentation. I will let the derm know…thinking it was part of another nevi or two that just got stuck in the end of the scar? 

jennunicorn
              Participant

Very possible. I noticed a lot of new brown freckles around my scar that I never had before, but they're not related to mel, so who knows.

Hikeratheart
              Participant

Hi, just wondering about the Molescope? Can you explain? Thanks!

Michelle820
                  Participant

Hi:) I have to say I am very impressed with it so far! If you google MoleScope  on the app store you will find it. I believe it is free. And it allows you to take pictures of your moles and organize it in a very professional way. It even allows you to compare previous pictures from older dates. I just purchased the scope which can attach to your cell phone.  It cost $100. And I believe it was well worth it. My dermatologist was very impressed also. I wish I could share some of the pictures to show you. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me it has given me some peace of mind on a few suspicious moles. By the way you do not need to purchase the scope you can still use the camera on your phone.  However,  the scope allows you to zoom in and magnify the skin which is amazing.

jennunicorn
                    Participant

My derm has that on her phone, she uses it to take pics of a mole we want to watch or one she removes. I thought it was really cool. If I was a person with a lot of moles I would totally invest in one.

Michelle820
                      Participant

I agree! I have so many it drives me crazy. This device and app have helped me better manage my skin. I also had the body photography, however, everything looks so tiny on the photos so it's hard to check for change-but the pics r good to see if it's a new mole or not, I suppose. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics