The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pigment growing in benign scar site

Forums Pigment growing in benign scar site

Participant
      Hi all. I had a .6mm removed 2 years ago which brought me to this forum. I see my dermatologist routinely ever since and about 6 months ago had a mole removed from my shoulder that came back benign. I now notice that there is pigment in the scar site, and o can only assume it is new and not left over because it is on the back of my shoulder so I do not see it each day. I of course am concerned. Any experience with pigment appearing after a removal?

Thank you for any information.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I don’t think it is uncommon for this to occur. I have had a few moles have small regrowth. Usually there are a few cells left during removal, pathology was fine, and they don’t need a WLE.
          MelMel
          Participant
            You may find the information on the following site to be of interest.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10235379/

Melanie

Treadlightly
              Participant
                Hi MMH,

I am 10 years NED, and had a full-thickness skin graft after a WLE for an Acral Lentiginous melanoma lesion on my heel.

In the post-op period, following my healing, I noticed more than one small dark spot in the scar tissue on the perimeter of my graft. For the first one I found, my doctor removed it with a punch biopsy. It came back benign. I have had a couple more since then, but my doctors have never even mentioned them during my regular check-ups.

I have seen and responded to other posts on this forum over the years regarding this phenomenon. It apparently is quite common for these discolorations to occur within scar tissue.

I would recommend that you show it to your doctor, but in the meantime, you should rest assured that it is most-likely not harmful.

Take care,
                Mark (2A)

Mark_DC
                Participant
                  Melanie’s paper is helpful and consistent with Mark’s experience. I had weird stuff on my skin graft – red pimples and kind of lumps but my doctor was not really sure what they were. This happened at the same time as a recurrence. But the pimples on the skin graft resolved and I think were all benign. I am sorry this is stressful, but there is a good chance all will be fine.
                  Good luck Mark
                MMH
                Participant
                  Thank you all for this very helpful information. I really appreciate hearing everyone’s personal experience, as it makes waiting for my upcoming derm appointment more bearable. Thank you again, and I hope you are all staying ok mentally and physically during this challenging time.
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics