The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Picking off a melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Picking off a melanoma?

Participant

This question sounds really stupid to me as I formulate it in my head, but I'm compelled by my fear to ask…

This question sounds really stupid to me as I formulate it in my head, but I'm compelled by my fear to ask… I noticed a 1-2 mm slightly raised black spot on my husband's arm last Thursday night.  He had just been to the dermatologist on November 8 for his semiannual checkup, and nothing was there at the time.  At first, we thought it might be a tick, so he went in the bathroom and sort of flicked it with tweezers and the middle lightened, leaving a reallhy ugly black spot with a pinkish middle.  He said he'd wait a week then call the derm if it still looked weird.

Last night, I was stupid enough to google "pictures of melanoma" and scared myself into the possibility that it's nodular melanoma.  Then later, I wanted to see it more closely, and I scratched it off, like it was a scab, and with just a little work, the whole black part came off.  Looks like a normal pink spot underneath – like a bite or pimple (not raised, though).  But now I'm reading that it IS possible to scratch off a melanoma, and it can heal normally underneath, concealing the melanoma that will continue to grow deeper into the skin.  He says he's not going to the dermatologist if it heals up normally – he'll go if the black comes back. 

Is it likely that this is just a scab?  Can you really pick off a melanoma with your fingernail and it might grow back normally?  Can a melanoma show up like that in under 10 days?

Now I'm worried….

(btw – he is nearly 10 years NED from a stage iiia dx; without that history, I doubt I'd think the spot was anything more than a bite or pimple with a weird scab)

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The key to this is your last statement.  If he didn't already have melanoma, you wouldn't be suspicious.  I seriously doubt it was melanoma.  It doesn't "easily" scratch off.  I think you'd have to work pretty hard to do that.  I think your husband's approach sounds sensible.  If it heals normally, then great.  If it returns, then re-evaluate.  My derm uses a 6 week rule.  If something is still there and bothering you in 6 weeks after you notice it, time to biopsy.  I don't always wait 6 weeks, but it makes me rethink something and give it time to heal on its own first.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

The key to this is your last statement.  If he didn't already have melanoma, you wouldn't be suspicious.  I seriously doubt it was melanoma.  It doesn't "easily" scratch off.  I think you'd have to work pretty hard to do that.  I think your husband's approach sounds sensible.  If it heals normally, then great.  If it returns, then re-evaluate.  My derm uses a 6 week rule.  If something is still there and bothering you in 6 weeks after you notice it, time to biopsy.  I don't always wait 6 weeks, but it makes me rethink something and give it time to heal on its own first.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics