The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Phil S NED almost One Year

Forums General Melanoma Community Phil S NED almost One Year

Participant

I just wanted to post and tell everyone that my husband had his head MRI and PET/CAT scans yesterday and the results were very positive, as no cancer is appearing on any of these tests.  Just a quick background, my husband was diagnosed with anal melanoma in January 2010, and has completed eight months of interferon.  Since this form of melanoma is rare and often times aggressive, we have been so worried about these scans.  He has recently had a cold and cough that wouldn't resolve and the doctors told us yesterday that he has pneumonia, and I was so happy that

I just wanted to post and tell everyone that my husband had his head MRI and PET/CAT scans yesterday and the results were very positive, as no cancer is appearing on any of these tests.  Just a quick background, my husband was diagnosed with anal melanoma in January 2010, and has completed eight months of interferon.  Since this form of melanoma is rare and often times aggressive, we have been so worried about these scans.  He has recently had a cold and cough that wouldn't resolve and the doctors told us yesterday that he has pneumonia, and I was so happy that it wasn't the cancer.  He is now doing well (on antibiotics) and ready for four more months of interferon.  He has already lost 35 pounds, and our doctors told us that the average weight loss for a man on interferon is 25 lbs, so we need to fatten him up to tackled the next four months. 

Anyway, I am mainly posting to tell everyone that we are always thinking and praying for all of you, our melanoma family. Also, I want to encourage all those who are undergoing interferon to know that so far we are holding those melanoma cells back, something that we didn't think we could do one year ago, when they gave us our grim prognosis.  So Keep Fighting!!  Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season.  We are so excited to be able to spend this special time of the year with our young children with renewed spirit.    Valerie (Phil's Wife)

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

That is great news Valerie! You must be so reilieved. My son also was dx with mucosal (oral) melanoma so I understand how scary that can be. He finished his year of interferon in August and feels great. He lost some weight during the year but he was skinny to begin with so I made him drink extra calorie ensure as often as possible.

Becky
          Participant

That is great news Valerie! You must be so reilieved. My son also was dx with mucosal (oral) melanoma so I understand how scary that can be. He finished his year of interferon in August and feels great. He lost some weight during the year but he was skinny to begin with so I made him drink extra calorie ensure as often as possible.

jag
            Participant

Nice!  Thanks for the update.

jag
              Participant

jag
                Participant

jag
                  Participant

JakeinNY
                    Participant

Great news Valerie.

Stay positive, have him be as happy as possible, leave stress in the gutter, and eat well, sleep well, and do right by his immune system.

Jake

JakeinNY
                      Participant

Great news Valerie.

Stay positive, have him be as happy as possible, leave stress in the gutter, and eat well, sleep well, and do right by his immune system.

Jake

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics