The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET scan doesn’t show brain?

Forums General Melanoma Community PET scan doesn’t show brain?

Participant
      I just had a full body PET CT scan with contrast. Now my doctor wants me to have an MRI to check my brain. Wouldn’t that have been on the PET scan? I could see my head in the images I sent on to the doctor. The write up starts with “Head and neck.” Is that not enough?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          The brain always shows active in PET scans. So, a PET scan can not show brain cancer.
          doragsda
          Participant
            The PET scan shows metabolic activity, and the brain has a LOT of metabolic activity, so lights up everywhere with a PET scan and is of little use in detecting metastases to the brain. The MRI is the study of choice for evaluating the brain.
            JudiAU
            Participant
              Yes, as everyone said, the brain needs separate scan because the PER is not reliable.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics