The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET Scan and results

Forums General Melanoma Community PET Scan and results

Participant

Hi All,

My name is Sharon, I was diagnossed with stage 3a or  3b two years ago.  I opted out of the meds.  I have been doing my scans as directed..  I would like to ask of others – their experiences with findings from PET Scans… 

Jan 2013 – my PET Scan showed Abnormal hypermetabolic activity within the right hilum.  At that time, my doctor told me that based on the time of year this is not abnormal, perhaps a cold.  I figured maybe I had a cold and was not feeling it so strongly.

Sept 2013 – I had a pain near the lymph node dissection, to rule melanoma out, they did another PET.  Groin was clear, yet, it showed hypermetabolic adenopathy demonstrated.  It read "both lesions were present previously but activity is increased.  Overall size is stable.  Under IMPRESSION:  "increased activity within two lymph nodes.  Right hilum and mediastnum.  Metastatic disease likely.   

My docotor again, said, time of year is causing this.  I dont know if I buy it. The metastatic disease likely I find worrysome.   Has others had this experience?  Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sharon

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Where was your primary lesion, how deep was it, and what led to you being termed stage 3a/b?

POW
          Participant

Where was your primary lesion, how deep was it, and what led to you being termed stage 3a/b?

POW
            Participant

Cynthia C
              Participant

Hi Sharon,

I am also 3b, diagnosed in 2001. I know being Stage 3 can be a very scary place. I am assuming you had positive grion lymph nodes that brought you to Stage 3. Is it your oncologist who is telling you not to worry about this? I would probably be concerned given the 9 month span with hypermetabolic activity still present. Getting a biopsy of hilar and mediastinal lymph nodes can be tricky. Often a Pulmonologist can do a procedure called an EBUS (endo-bronchial ultrasound) depending on the size and location. I know it may be difficult to question your current physician but I have learned, through this board, to never hesitate to get a second opinion. Hopefully it is nothing but it is your right to be concerned and act upon it. I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                Participant

Hi Sharon,

I am also 3b, diagnosed in 2001. I know being Stage 3 can be a very scary place. I am assuming you had positive grion lymph nodes that brought you to Stage 3. Is it your oncologist who is telling you not to worry about this? I would probably be concerned given the 9 month span with hypermetabolic activity still present. Getting a biopsy of hilar and mediastinal lymph nodes can be tricky. Often a Pulmonologist can do a procedure called an EBUS (endo-bronchial ultrasound) depending on the size and location. I know it may be difficult to question your current physician but I have learned, through this board, to never hesitate to get a second opinion. Hopefully it is nothing but it is your right to be concerned and act upon it. I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                  Participant

Hi Sharon,

Cynthia

sharon0803
                      Participant

Thanks so much!

sharon0803
                        Participant

Thanks so much!

sharon0803
                          Participant

Thanks so much!

BrianP
                            Participant

Sounds like great advice to me!

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Brian

BrianP
                                Participant

Brian

sharon0803
                                  Participant

Thanks for the heads up on EBUS.  I saw Dr. today, he is sending me for an Endo-Bronchial Ultrasound, he looked shocked when I said oh an EBUS.

sharon0803
                                    Participant

Thanks for the heads up on EBUS.  I saw Dr. today, he is sending me for an Endo-Bronchial Ultrasound, he looked shocked when I said oh an EBUS.

sharon0803
                                      Participant

POW
                                      Participant

Well, you didn't answer my questions but I see from your profile that your original lesion was on your leg and it was <1.0mm deep. I assume that you are stage III because they found positive lymph nodes in your groin, probably on the rigth side. Is that correct?

PET scans are very good for quick-and-dirty screening. The problem with them is that they often give false positives, especially for lymph nodes. Lymph nodes can become activated by a lot of things and since the hilum and mediastnum lymph nodes are along the trachea and bronchii, a respiratory infection could well cause them to light up on a PET scan. Since they haven't grown in the last 9 months, that is a good sign, too.

That being said, with a history of stage III melanoma plus the radiologist's opinion, you would be wise to find out for sure what is going on. At the very least, you should probably get a CT scan, which is more detailed and less prone to false positives than are PET scans. Depending on those results, a biopsy may be in order. 

If you are not currently going to a melanoma center of excellence, you should probably do that now. If you need help finding one, ask the people here. But definitely get a second opinion and probably some more diagnostic tests from a melanoma specialty clinic. The alarm bells that went off in your head were a very good thing. It means that you have educated yourself about melanoma and are already being your own best health advocate. 

Good luck and please do keep us posted as to how things go.

sharon0803
                                          Participant

POW,

I read your profile.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I will get a CT scan.  Yes, right side.

sharon0803
                                            Participant

POW,

I read your profile.  Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.  I will get a CT scan.  Yes, right side.

sharon0803
                                              Participant

POW,

POW
                                              Participant

Well, you didn't answer my questions but I see from your profile that your original lesion was on your leg and it was <1.0mm deep. I assume that you are stage III because they found positive lymph nodes in your groin, probably on the rigth side. Is that correct?

PET scans are very good for quick-and-dirty screening. The problem with them is that they often give false positives, especially for lymph nodes. Lymph nodes can become activated by a lot of things and since the hilum and mediastnum lymph nodes are along the trachea and bronchii, a respiratory infection could well cause them to light up on a PET scan. Since they haven't grown in the last 9 months, that is a good sign, too.

That being said, with a history of stage III melanoma plus the radiologist's opinion, you would be wise to find out for sure what is going on. At the very least, you should probably get a CT scan, which is more detailed and less prone to false positives than are PET scans. Depending on those results, a biopsy may be in order. 

If you are not currently going to a melanoma center of excellence, you should probably do that now. If you need help finding one, ask the people here. But definitely get a second opinion and probably some more diagnostic tests from a melanoma specialty clinic. The alarm bells that went off in your head were a very good thing. It means that you have educated yourself about melanoma and are already being your own best health advocate. 

POW
                                                Participant

Tina D
                                                  Participant

Have to agree that getting a second opinion or asking for further evalutaion is warranted. Hopefully it is nothing, but if it was me, I would want it evaluted. 

Tina

Tina D
                                                    Participant

Have to agree that getting a second opinion or asking for further evalutaion is warranted. Hopefully it is nothing, but if it was me, I would want it evaluted. 

Tina

littlebird3450
                                                        Participant

I also with your opinion evalutation is very difficult process. but it is to much better for others.

littlebird3450
                                                          Participant

I also with your opinion evalutation is very difficult process. but it is to much better for others.

littlebird3450
                                                            Participant

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Tina

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics