The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pet scan?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pet scan?

Participant

So last month I was diagnosed with Mel in situ on my upper left arm.. Also a atypical mole over beside it.. So his plan was to remove the first remove stitches then remove the second.. Then a full body scan.. Scary and I've lost sleep I won't lie.. I also just had a 2 month old baby girl.. 

on my right arm on the underside about 4 inches below my wrist I have a small fatty lump.. I do data entry for a living.. For the past 16 years my arm has rested in this exact spot on the table while I type.. I assumed this lump was from that.. It's been there more than a few years.. Doesn't hurt.. I showed it to my derm today in light of the Mel on my other arm and he said he wouldn't think it was related to the Mel from my left arm but maybe I should go for a pet scan to check it out.. That alarmed me because from my obsessive googling the past month I've learned that's usually only done in stages 3 or 4.. Seems a little extreme for a small little lump.. But I don't know.. Just looking for insight.. Thank you

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Maybe he suggested to make you feel better but the chances this is related to a melanoma in situ from your other arm is just so low, I don't see it.  Sounds more like a lipoma.  There is a ton of radiation from a PET scan and you most likely would have to stay away from your baby for some hours because you will be radioactive.  Not sure what happens if you are nursing. If you've had the lump for years and it hasn't changed, I'd do absolutely nothing.  If it were melanoma, it would have grown way beyond that now and you would have known here was something wrong. Something stable, that far from your primary, and a primary of in situ don't add up to this being melanoma related.  Just my thoughts.

Aubreesmommy41
            Participant

Janner.. In your opinion should I believe them when they say this pet is more to ease my mind about the mis to start with because I am a high anxiety patient? Or is it possible he knows or suspects more than what he's telling me? They scheduled the pet for next Saturday and tho I'm scared of it I'm also scared not to do it just in case.. I know you are not a mind reader but thoughts?

Aubreesmommy41
              Participant

Janner.. In your opinion should I believe them when they say this pet is more to ease my mind about the mis to start with because I am a high anxiety patient? Or is it possible he knows or suspects more than what he's telling me? They scheduled the pet for next Saturday and tho I'm scared of it I'm also scared not to do it just in case.. I know you are not a mind reader but thoughts?

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Maybe he suggested to make you feel better but the chances this is related to a melanoma in situ from your other arm is just so low, I don't see it.  Sounds more like a lipoma.  There is a ton of radiation from a PET scan and you most likely would have to stay away from your baby for some hours because you will be radioactive.  Not sure what happens if you are nursing. If you've had the lump for years and it hasn't changed, I'd do absolutely nothing.  If it were melanoma, it would have grown way beyond that now and you would have known here was something wrong. Something stable, that far from your primary, and a primary of in situ don't add up to this being melanoma related.  Just my thoughts.

Janner
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

I agree with Janner, seems very unlikely that it would be related at all. And getting an unnecessary PET scan is a bit overkill. You can't breastfeed for a period of time afterward, I don't know how long. I know they tell me every time I've had one, it takes about a day to get all the radioactive sugars out of my system (comes out through urine, so they tell you to drink a lot of water afterward). They say it is fine to be around adults and others right afterward, but I think it is different for being around young children. Totally up to you if you need the scan to ease your mind about it.

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

Is a pet scan scary? And do you know anything during or immediately afterward? I know they won't give you any results but are you aware if anything was found? Asking because they went ahead and scheduled it and now I'm scared 

Aubreesmommy41
                          Participant

Is a pet scan scary? And do you know anything during or immediately afterward? I know they won't give you any results but are you aware if anything was found? Asking because they went ahead and scheduled it and now I'm scared 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

They aren't scary, the opening is quite large, compared to an MRI hole which is super small and I find very terrifying. I've been very close to falling asleep both times I've gotten PET scans, and I can get anxiety pretty easily. You don't get any kind of results or anything, the people doing the scan are trained in not showing any kind of sign that something is or is not found and they can't say anything about it. The radiologist will look at your scan and send the report to your doctor and your doctor will let you know.

I am sure nothing will be found with this scan, but at least it will ease your mind to have it done and over with.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

They aren't scary, the opening is quite large, compared to an MRI hole which is super small and I find very terrifying. I've been very close to falling asleep both times I've gotten PET scans, and I can get anxiety pretty easily. You don't get any kind of results or anything, the people doing the scan are trained in not showing any kind of sign that something is or is not found and they can't say anything about it. The radiologist will look at your scan and send the report to your doctor and your doctor will let you know.

I am sure nothing will be found with this scan, but at least it will ease your mind to have it done and over with.

jennunicorn
                                Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                  Participant

Thank you for your quick reply.. I really want to believe he's doing this just to ease my mind but I keep thinking he suspects something he's not telling me.. Yes I'm a high anxiety patient but I can't be the first he's dealt with.. The nurse said this was the first pet scan she had ever scheduled.. Scares me to death 

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Sounds like he's just overly cautious based on your history. If you had never dealt with melanoma ever before and it was just a bump then he would not have ordered a pet scan, maybe an xray. Try not to worry too much about it or look too deep into why he ordered a pet scan. Worry never does us any good for our overall health anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

Sounds like he's just overly cautious based on your history. If you had never dealt with melanoma ever before and it was just a bump then he would not have ordered a pet scan, maybe an xray. Try not to worry too much about it or look too deep into why he ordered a pet scan. Worry never does us any good for our overall health anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

Aubreesmommy41
                                        Participant

Do you mind if I ask how you maintain your composure thru all of this? How you do not let the fear get the better of you?

Aubreesmommy41
                                          Participant

Do you mind if I ask how you maintain your composure thru all of this? How you do not let the fear get the better of you?

Aubreesmommy41
                                            Participant

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

I look at it this way: I don't have any other choice. The option of falling apart and essentially giving in is just not an option. For me, it is too exhausting to be anxious all the time. I've been that way before and life was a whole lot harder when I was anxious about everything. I find it easier to look at the positive side and say, "ok, this is hard but I'm alive and well and I'll get through this". I use meditation and breathing exercises to get me through particularly anxious moments, like the day after a scan, waiting for results. Or, even during a scan, if I feel my heart get a little faster then I know my anxiety is trying to take over and I just ignore it, close my eyes, focus on my breathing, say a mantra in my head over and over until I've relaxed enough. 

You just have to decide that YOU are in control of how YOU feel. So, you can decide not to let the anxiety and fear control you by practicing certain techniques that calm you down.

Hope this helped a little ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

I look at it this way: I don't have any other choice. The option of falling apart and essentially giving in is just not an option. For me, it is too exhausting to be anxious all the time. I've been that way before and life was a whole lot harder when I was anxious about everything. I find it easier to look at the positive side and say, "ok, this is hard but I'm alive and well and I'll get through this". I use meditation and breathing exercises to get me through particularly anxious moments, like the day after a scan, waiting for results. Or, even during a scan, if I feel my heart get a little faster then I know my anxiety is trying to take over and I just ignore it, close my eyes, focus on my breathing, say a mantra in my head over and over until I've relaxed enough. 

You just have to decide that YOU are in control of how YOU feel. So, you can decide not to let the anxiety and fear control you by practicing certain techniques that calm you down.

jennunicorn
                                                  Participant

Polymath
                                                    Participant

Hello,

As usual, Jenn has offered excellent advice in methods, and reasons to stay calm during procedures.  A PET/CT is a piece of cake.  A brain MRI is a much more challenging procedure from an anxiety inducing perspective.  Your issue though is a state of constant anxiety which is a lot tougher to conquer.  I'm not certain any one thing will change this for you but I'll offer the following.  The first counter-intuitive exercise is surrender.  Just accept that you need to do certain things, in order to achieve other things.  I surrender to various treatments, scans, and sometimes other more painful and invasive procedures because I have a goal.  I want to live to see my daughter graduate high school, and then who knows, maybe live beyond that first milestone.  Try and see that what you must do now, as simply a means to an end.  Another strategy that works for me has been to "just be normal".  If I act out on my fears, all I will do is scare the people around me.  Try and live life as normally as possible even if there is a hint of denial in it.  Since my family is relaxed at seeing me this way, I'm even more relaxed myself.  Finally (I could go on and on) to accomplish any of this you must surrender to the reality of your mind controlling everything you do and perceive in life.  Take control of your mind, and the world will be exactly as you choose to see it.  I know the doctors are trying to save my life.  I trust them, and surrender to the things that will allow them to succeed.

Gary

Polymath
                                                      Participant

Hello,

As usual, Jenn has offered excellent advice in methods, and reasons to stay calm during procedures.  A PET/CT is a piece of cake.  A brain MRI is a much more challenging procedure from an anxiety inducing perspective.  Your issue though is a state of constant anxiety which is a lot tougher to conquer.  I'm not certain any one thing will change this for you but I'll offer the following.  The first counter-intuitive exercise is surrender.  Just accept that you need to do certain things, in order to achieve other things.  I surrender to various treatments, scans, and sometimes other more painful and invasive procedures because I have a goal.  I want to live to see my daughter graduate high school, and then who knows, maybe live beyond that first milestone.  Try and see that what you must do now, as simply a means to an end.  Another strategy that works for me has been to "just be normal".  If I act out on my fears, all I will do is scare the people around me.  Try and live life as normally as possible even if there is a hint of denial in it.  Since my family is relaxed at seeing me this way, I'm even more relaxed myself.  Finally (I could go on and on) to accomplish any of this you must surrender to the reality of your mind controlling everything you do and perceive in life.  Take control of your mind, and the world will be exactly as you choose to see it.  I know the doctors are trying to save my life.  I trust them, and surrender to the things that will allow them to succeed.

Gary

Polymath
                                                        Participant

Hello,

Gary

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Excellent advice Gary! I agree about the brain MRI… that is probably one of my LEAST favorite things in the whole wide world. I would take a PET/CT scan any day over a brain MRI! ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

Excellent advice Gary! I agree about the brain MRI… that is probably one of my LEAST favorite things in the whole wide world. I would take a PET/CT scan any day over a brain MRI! ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

ed williams
                                                                Participant

Jenn, have you ever tried to expain to some one what the sound and shaking is like as the machine kicks into gear. Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                  Participant

i meant to say" Explain" not expain, but it is a pain that is for sure!!! Ed

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

Those sounds are the WORST! My brother tried explaining to me what it would be like beforehand since he has had multiple MRIs in his life.. but I did not fully grasp the intensity of the MRI machine until I was in it. Torture is probably the one word I would use for the whole experience of a brain MRI!

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

Those sounds are the WORST! My brother tried explaining to me what it would be like beforehand since he has had multiple MRIs in his life.. but I did not fully grasp the intensity of the MRI machine until I was in it. Torture is probably the one word I would use for the whole experience of a brain MRI!

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

ed williams
                                                                          Participant

ed williams
                                                                            Participant

ed williams
                                                                              Participant

Jenn, have you ever tried to expain to some one what the sound and shaking is like as the machine kicks into gear. Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                                Participant

Polymath
                                                                                  Participant

No doubt MRI's suck. (but I dare you try electroporation).  I learned to just relax, keep my eyes closed literally the whole time, and just visualize my family and why I am here (to survive).  I swear I can almost fall asleep now despite the racket.  Of course years of riding motorcycles, and using power tools has made me kind of deaf.  You know the saying…just make lemonade.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                                    Participant

No doubt MRI's suck. (but I dare you try electroporation).  I learned to just relax, keep my eyes closed literally the whole time, and just visualize my family and why I am here (to survive).  I swear I can almost fall asleep now despite the racket.  Of course years of riding motorcycles, and using power tools has made me kind of deaf.  You know the saying…just make lemonade.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                                      Participant

Gary

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                        Participant

You have a beautiful attitude despite what you have faced and are facing.. And you give great advice.. I'm 41 and never thought I could have kids and then at 40 I get pregnant and have a perfect text book pregnancy and a perfect c section if there is such a thing and then my mother n law said I should get a ugly mole I couldn't see on the back of my arm checked out and this nightmare started.. 2 WLEs and I admit I've been a pain to the nurses at the derms office asking what ifs.. But I do feel like this pet is overkill for a small lump in my lower arm that is no where near any lymph nodes.. Plus I've had it prolly way longer than the Mel.. Anyway the pet scares me because I feel like it could find something that will take me away from my daughter.. The baby I never thought I'd have and I'm terrified.. I'm in awe of you and Jenn for having such a good outlook on all this.. I just want to run away and hide

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

Just to help ease your mind a little, having had an in situ melanoma means there is a verrrrrry tiny chance that the PET scan will show anything going on in your body. In situ means it was only in the epidermis (the outer most layer of our skin) and was not exposed to lymph drains or blood vessels, nothing for the melanoma to use to travel elsewhere, therefore metastasis with in situ is virtually impossible. 

Wishing you and your new little daughter all the best and most likely you'll have no reason to come back to this forum other than to let us know the PET scan showed nothing! ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                                                            Participant

Just to help ease your mind a little, having had an in situ melanoma means there is a verrrrrry tiny chance that the PET scan will show anything going on in your body. In situ means it was only in the epidermis (the outer most layer of our skin) and was not exposed to lymph drains or blood vessels, nothing for the melanoma to use to travel elsewhere, therefore metastasis with in situ is virtually impossible. 

Wishing you and your new little daughter all the best and most likely you'll have no reason to come back to this forum other than to let us know the PET scan showed nothing! ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                                                              Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                Participant

You have a beautiful attitude despite what you have faced and are facing.. And you give great advice.. I'm 41 and never thought I could have kids and then at 40 I get pregnant and have a perfect text book pregnancy and a perfect c section if there is such a thing and then my mother n law said I should get a ugly mole I couldn't see on the back of my arm checked out and this nightmare started.. 2 WLEs and I admit I've been a pain to the nurses at the derms office asking what ifs.. But I do feel like this pet is overkill for a small lump in my lower arm that is no where near any lymph nodes.. Plus I've had it prolly way longer than the Mel.. Anyway the pet scares me because I feel like it could find something that will take me away from my daughter.. The baby I never thought I'd have and I'm terrified.. I'm in awe of you and Jenn for having such a good outlook on all this.. I just want to run away and hide

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                    Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you for your quick reply.. I really want to believe he's doing this just to ease my mind but I keep thinking he suspects something he's not telling me.. Yes I'm a high anxiety patient but I can't be the first he's dealt with.. The nurse said this was the first pet scan she had ever scheduled.. Scares me to death 

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                        Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                          Participant

I agree with Janner, seems very unlikely that it would be related at all. And getting an unnecessary PET scan is a bit overkill. You can't breastfeed for a period of time afterward, I don't know how long. I know they tell me every time I've had one, it takes about a day to get all the radioactive sugars out of my system (comes out through urine, so they tell you to drink a lot of water afterward). They say it is fine to be around adults and others right afterward, but I think it is different for being around young children. Totally up to you if you need the scan to ease your mind about it.

jennunicorn
                                                                                                            Participant

geriakt
                                                                                                              Participant

Don't expose your body to unnecessary radiation. If you did not have a Sentinel Lymph Node biopsy do not waste your money on the PET.  Have a needle biopsy on the lump. 

geriakt
                                                                                                                Participant

Don't expose your body to unnecessary radiation. If you did not have a Sentinel Lymph Node biopsy do not waste your money on the PET.  Have a needle biopsy on the lump. 

geriakt
                                                                                                                  Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks to you all for your replies.. My anxiety prompted me to call the Drs office this morning and talk to the sympathetic nice nurse there and she said she doubted my insurance would even pay for the pet scan because I only had Mel in situ.. She also said she didn't believe he thought it as associated with the Mel but more as a comfort to me to ease my mind.. Boy they do not know me! Saying words like pet scan makes me grab at my pearls and recoil.. I know it would be wise but geez.. Scary.. And unnecessary at this point and time surely.. I'm nervous about this full body scan on May the 3rd as I'm sure I may have a few more bad moles.. Hopefully only dysplastic or at worst in situ.. I'm a big balls of nerves and just trying to get thru my days without crying.. Coming here for support and advice is helping greatly so thank you all who took the time to weigh in.. I was thinking kind of the same.. Have a great day..smiley

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks to you all for your replies.. My anxiety prompted me to call the Drs office this morning and talk to the sympathetic nice nurse there and she said she doubted my insurance would even pay for the pet scan because I only had Mel in situ.. She also said she didn't believe he thought it as associated with the Mel but more as a comfort to me to ease my mind.. Boy they do not know me! Saying words like pet scan makes me grab at my pearls and recoil.. I know it would be wise but geez.. Scary.. And unnecessary at this point and time surely.. I'm nervous about this full body scan on May the 3rd as I'm sure I may have a few more bad moles.. Hopefully only dysplastic or at worst in situ.. I'm a big balls of nerves and just trying to get thru my days without crying.. Coming here for support and advice is helping greatly so thank you all who took the time to weigh in.. I was thinking kind of the same.. Have a great day..smiley

Aubreesmommy41
                                                                                                                        Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics