The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET scan

Forums General Melanoma Community PET scan

Participant

Just a little background, 3b, positive ulceration, mitosis 18, two years as NED. I am still seen every three months but no scans and I have never had a PET scan that everyone on here seems to have routinely. Do they just stop doing scans after a certain point, am I missing something?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          I believe with any stage 3 you should have follow up physical skin and node check every 3 months. Imaging scans, ct,x-ray,mri 3-12 months depending on your case specifics. Years 3-5 physical exam 6-12 months with imaging still 3-12
            jamieth29
            Participant
              Pet scans can be up to doctor preference. Pet scans do not show small disease like a ct will. So some docs will have a ct done first then if there are areas of suspicion then order a pet. Ct is much cheaper. So im guessing some insurance company may limit the doctor to this order.
              jamieth29
              Participant
                Pet scans can be up to doctor preference. Pet scans do not show small disease like a ct will. So some docs will have a ct done first then if there are areas of suspicion then order a pet. Ct is much cheaper. So im guessing some insurance company may limit the doctor to this order.
                jamieth29
                Participant
                jamieth29
                Participant
                  I believe with any stage 3 you should have follow up physical skin and node check every 3 months. Imaging scans, ct,x-ray,mri 3-12 months depending on your case specifics. Years 3-5 physical exam 6-12 months with imaging still 3-12
                  jamieth29
                  Participant
                    CHD
                    Participant

BTW, that is great about 2 years NED! 

I would ask your doctor for their reasoning behind not doing a PET CT.  The insurance issue may have something to do with it as stated above.  As far as doing them routinely, It seems to me that when there is lymph node involvement, or when there are other high-risk factors, a whole-body PET CT is usually ordered at some point after initial diagnosis to ensure there has been no spread.  After the first scan though, there seems to be a lot of variability between doctors as to how often and what kinds of scans are ordered, with some ordering PET CT at frequent intervals and others ordering regular CTs or even x-rays.  Even the interval varies between doctors, and then there is variability about how many years they continue to order the scans and at what frequency with no evidence of disease.  I wouldn't worry but definitely worth asking.

CHD
                      Participant

I would ask your doctor for their reasoning behind not doing a PET CT.  The insurance issue may have something to do with it as stated above.  As far as doing them routinely, It seems to me that when there is lymph node involvement, or when there are other high-risk factors, a whole-body PET CT is usually ordered at some point after initial diagnosis to ensure there has been no spread.  After the first scan though, there seems to be a lot of variability between doctors as to how often and what kinds of scans are ordered, with some ordering PET CT at frequent intervals and others ordering regular CTs or even x-rays.  Even the interval varies between doctors, and then there is variability about how many years they continue to order the scans and at what frequency with no evidence of disease.  I wouldn't worry but definitely worth asking.

CHD
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics