The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pet/ MRI Anxiety/Hemmr

Forums General Melanoma Community Pet/ MRI Anxiety/Hemmr

Participant

I had my Pet Scan and MRI done for my one year follow up after finishing the Interferon. This is the first scan I have had since my inital diagnosis. My anxiety is thru the roof. I feel like I could throw up at any min. I keep having bad dreams and thinking the worst. I have an appt tomorrow at 3pm. to be "restaged". How do you get through the waiting period. What if its there and they dont see it? What if its everywhere? I can't breathe.

I had my Pet Scan and MRI done for my one year follow up after finishing the Interferon. This is the first scan I have had since my inital diagnosis. My anxiety is thru the roof. I feel like I could throw up at any min. I keep having bad dreams and thinking the worst. I have an appt tomorrow at 3pm. to be "restaged". How do you get through the waiting period. What if its there and they dont see it? What if its everywhere? I can't breathe.

Also, when doing my skin check the other day, I noticed a purple blue area raised around my rectum. I haven't had any change in bowel pattern and no problems with bowel movements. Should i be concerned or is this just something that comes along with age. I am a nurse and I have seen many hemmrroids, but never any so purplish as this.

Say a prayer….

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

I will say a prayer that all comes out great. It is perfectly normal to have anxiety about the results try and take some deep breaths and keep busy. the best to you.

yoopergirl
          Participant

I will say a prayer that all comes out great. It is perfectly normal to have anxiety about the results try and take some deep breaths and keep busy. the best to you.

yoopergirl
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

Scanxiety is perfectly normal.  As you know, those in the medical profession make the worse patients :).  Congratulate yourself for making it through the interferon treatments and quit beating yourself up.  You know how bad stress is for the immune system.  I think that you are way over analyzing this…the scans are, hopefully, not  to "restage" you they are just to make sure nothing has spread.  Get busy, go do some things you like to do. 

I have been stage 3a for 2 plus years now.  I never like scan time but I'm glad to have the technology available.  The closer I get to that time, the busier I keep myself. 

As for the rectum, it sure sounds like a hemroid to me.  If you have an internist go see him this week just to be sure.  Let us know the scan results

Mary

Stage 3

JC
                  Participant

How exactly. . biologically/physiologically. . is stress bad for the immune system?  I've always wondered.  I'm pretty much always stressed about my mel coming back. . 24/7, mind never stops thinking about it.

JC
                    Participant

How exactly. . biologically/physiologically. . is stress bad for the immune system?  I've always wondered.  I'm pretty much always stressed about my mel coming back. . 24/7, mind never stops thinking about it.

JC
                      Participant

washoegal
                        Participant

Re stress and it's effects on the body.  Here is a simple article from the Mayo Clinic. Personally I have noticed during periods of stress I am much more apt to get colds, ect.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress/SR00001

washoegal
                          Participant

Re stress and it's effects on the body.  Here is a simple article from the Mayo Clinic. Personally I have noticed during periods of stress I am much more apt to get colds, ect.

washoegal
                            Participant

washoegal
                            Participant

Scanxiety is perfectly normal.  As you know, those in the medical profession make the worse patients :).  Congratulate yourself for making it through the interferon treatments and quit beating yourself up.  You know how bad stress is for the immune system.  I think that you are way over analyzing this…the scans are, hopefully, not  to "restage" you they are just to make sure nothing has spread.  Get busy, go do some things you like to do. 

I have been stage 3a for 2 plus years now.  I never like scan time but I'm glad to have the technology available.  The closer I get to that time, the busier I keep myself. 

As for the rectum, it sure sounds like a hemroid to me.  If you have an internist go see him this week just to be sure.  Let us know the scan results

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

Mary

Stage 3

lhaley
                                Participant

Anxiety is the worst.   I have an mri on Wed and the last one showed something but they didn't know if it was a recurrance (brain) or necrosis or scar tissue.  My anxiety has been horrible.  I don't like to take meds if possible so I went to an accupuncturist and it really helped.  So next time about 5 days before you might want to try it. 

Another thought, next time make sure that your scan results are told as soon as possible after the scan.  My Dr tells me the same day.  This time you've had the weekend that is harder.    This time waiting we went to my sons so we could play with our granddaughter to help.

The purplish mark could be a hemroid but just let the Dr know and get it checked out.

I hope your scans are NED!!!

Linda

Snickers60
                                    Participant

Get to the DOC……….do not play DOC yourself.   Don't guess.   This is your life.    The earlier the better !    It will bring

you peace of mind if nothing else.

HOPING FOR THE BEST FOR YOU and UPDATE PLEASE.

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)

13 1/2 years clean – THEN, in lungs, liver, spine, leg/bone.    On ZEL for 5 weeks !

Snickers60
                                      Participant

Get to the DOC……….do not play DOC yourself.   Don't guess.   This is your life.    The earlier the better !    It will bring

13 1/2 years clean – THEN, in lungs, liver, spine, leg/bone.    On ZEL for 5 weeks !

Snickers60
                                        Participant

lhaley
                                        Participant

Anxiety is the worst.   I have an mri on Wed and the last one showed something but they didn't know if it was a recurrance (brain) or necrosis or scar tissue.  My anxiety has been horrible.  I don't like to take meds if possible so I went to an accupuncturist and it really helped.  So next time about 5 days before you might want to try it. 

Another thought, next time make sure that your scan results are told as soon as possible after the scan.  My Dr tells me the same day.  This time you've had the weekend that is harder.    This time waiting we went to my sons so we could play with our granddaughter to help.

The purplish mark could be a hemroid but just let the Dr know and get it checked out.

Linda

lhaley
                                          Participant

Linda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics