The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET/CT Tomorrow … Yay!

Forums General Melanoma Community PET/CT Tomorrow … Yay!

Participant

I took the advice of my GP & decided to get a 2nd opinion from a local oncologist re: the numerous bilateral pulmonary nodules that showed up on my most recent CT scans @ MDA in July. I met w/ him last Friday & he was wonderful! Though not a melanoma oncologist (hematology) he completely agreed a 12 week interval scan was absolutely warranted. MDA has me scheduled for mid-December & it just seemed too long, especially since I've been feeling poorly now for a few months.

So as a result, I'll have a PET/CT, tomorrow. Yes, I am a little anxious, especially since all my pre-July lung scans had been clear … but being proactive definitely helps me feel like I'm not just a number in the system, waiting for the wheel to turn. Also, I know the resolution won't be quite as good as Full Body CT w/ Contrast but if there are metastases, hopefully we'll see metabolic uptake & I'll be in a better position to insist upon treatment @ MDA, asap!

Separately, I do have a 4 centimeter tumor in my kidney, which has been growing intervallically since the spring. Urologist was supposed to assess for biopsy / surgery, next month. If my lungs are clear, I'll have to set sights on the next target. If not, maybe immunotherapy, for both? Fun, fun, fun!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        TexMelanomex
        Participant

Hey Jagstter,

Smart move! I think being proactive and your own advocate in this process is really important. I hope that the scans go well for you tomorrow and come back nice and clean! Lets us know how it goes.

Tex

jagstter
            Participant

Thanks, Tex! All went smoothly, today … blood panels & PET/CT. Now, comes the waiting. Fortunately, I'll see the doc on Friday & learn the results. Progress 😉

TexMelanomex
              Participant

Good deal! Hoping its all good news on Friday!

jagstter
              Participant

Got the results from my PET/CT, last week. The Radiologist indicated there was no hypermetabolic activity in either of my lungs … hurray! The Oncologist suggested resolution (infection?) but said a follow-up CT w/ Contrast @ MDA in December should confirm. He cautioned me that w/ PET/CT, lower definition still could produce a false negative – especially, in earlier stage & size. Nevertheless, I'll take it as a potential good report!

Separately & less fortunately, the right kindney did indicate more growth, even since August. I'm pushing 5 cm, w/ strong indication it is not a simple cyst. The Urologist spoke w/ me (same medical group) & wants another MRI, asap. He said I should prepare for a partial or full nephrectomy, as kidney biopsies aren't particulary effective. Now, the question is: benign or malignant? Renal or Mel? If I'm fully resected & it is Mel, do I still qualify for immunotherapy? I guess, I'll just have to take things slowly & try to be as informed as possible 😉

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics