The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET/CT Scan Results – Worried

Forums General Melanoma Community PET/CT Scan Results – Worried

Participant

This is my first 6 month scan and the part I'm worroed about. My melanoma was on my left lower leg. This is indicating on my right hip? Is this common on the other side? Is 5.6 g/ml a larg amount of uptake? And should I be waiting another 3 months to follow up? Haven't seen the doctor yet.

FINDINGS:
      FDG SUV activity measured in the units of g/mL unless otherwise stated.

Right common iliac hypermetabolic lesion without definite CT correlate on
      image 226 measures 1.1×1.2 cm with SUV maximum of 5.6 g/mL. Possibly
      represents a new hypermetabolic lymph node, though no definite CT correlate
      is identified.
      IMPRESSION:
      1. New hypermetabolic lesion in the region of the right common iliac
      vessels, concerning for a malignant lymph node, though no definite CT
      correlate is visualized on the limited, non-contrast CT. Recommend further
      evaluation with high resolution CT of the abdomen and pelvis with contrast
      for better visualization of this lesion in clilnically indicated to guide
      possible biopsy.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

They will likely do a fine needle aspiration to the lymph node that is lighting up to see if there are any melanoma cells in there. If I remember correctly you're not on any treatment? I know for myself all sorts of things like to light up when I get scanned and we mostly attribute it to inflammation and reaction from treatment. But, with no treatment to blame this on, you'll need it further investigated. Let us know what your doctor says.

Aloha14
          Participant

Thank you  for your rsponse. Your corrct I'm not on any  treatment. Sounds like it's recommended that I get a CT with contrast of that area to start with. I have a call in to the doctor. Will let you know what happens.

UBContributor
            Participant

I haven't had my first  scan yet (Dx 2016.11, WLE and LND desection in groin last Jan), will have scan in August. Meantime, all I do is read and educate. Pls keep us updated! Best of luck!  

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Correlation with a a contrast CT is definitely the route I'd go. It could be an inflammatory response to anything. I had a spot on my left femur (just above the knee) light up on a PET, with no corrosponding palpable nodule. Turned out to be a minor inflammatory response to my bicycle ride two days prior. I hadn't even been started on treatment at that time. If they spot something on the contrast CT, there can be further testing done via biopsy. It is possible for the mel to show up anywhere and on any side. I'm not certain how common or uncommon it may be to "jump sides" in a situation such as yours. Hopefully this is a "nothing of concern"… though I don't think I'd wait 3 months to see the doc about it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics