The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET/CT Results today 5 Months On BRAF Combo…

Forums General Melanoma Community PET/CT Results today 5 Months On BRAF Combo…

Participant

Ok need some advice…opinions…support…thoughts..etc.

Stagfe IV as of NOV 2013….spots on bones…pituitary…and 2 free floating in my neck..

Combo shrank neck and cleared body even some bones….

Now latest pet/ct last week showed increase in activity in left femur, left pubic bone and L2 Vert.

Melanoma Onc at UCLA still supports the combo for now and wants to

A. Consult Radiation onc for spot radiation of 3 stubborn bone lesions while I stay on Braf Comb

and

B.Start injections of Xgeva monthly.

C. Scan in 60 days

So thoughts on a few stubborn mets while on the BRAF combo or even Zelboraf?

Thoughts on the radiation?

Thoughts on Combo still effective? etc…

My doctor knows the disease and while he was a little concerned he certainly was still light and positive about the course of action. I have some pain in left leg an back but not bad.

thanks for listening

Matt

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        tschmith
        Participant

I can offer just a little info…I received Xgeva monthly until I started a clinical trial at NIH.  I really thought it was helpful.  The doctors at NIH discontinued it as I think it has some properties that would interfere with the trial.  Also, melanoma attacked my L2 vertebrae too.  I'm sorry to say that 10 rounds  of radiation didn't work and I had to have some surgery.  They inserted two rods and six screws.  They were unable to get all of the tumor but prior to the surgery they did an embolization (cut off the blood supply) and perhaps that slowed or killed the tumor because so far it has not progressed.  

Best wishes!  Down with Melanoma!

tschmith
          Participant

I can offer just a little info…I received Xgeva monthly until I started a clinical trial at NIH.  I really thought it was helpful.  The doctors at NIH discontinued it as I think it has some properties that would interfere with the trial.  Also, melanoma attacked my L2 vertebrae too.  I'm sorry to say that 10 rounds  of radiation didn't work and I had to have some surgery.  They inserted two rods and six screws.  They were unable to get all of the tumor but prior to the surgery they did an embolization (cut off the blood supply) and perhaps that slowed or killed the tumor because so far it has not progressed.  

tschmith
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

I'm on xgeva and wish I had started it sooner but I had a bad reaction to zometa. I've had 4 xgeva shots and they have been fine so far. I would recommend getting on xgeva especially since you have bone tumors in your vertebrae.

The radiation for me did shrink the tumor in my t10. It was 30 gray in 5 fractions. For me I had no side affects. If you do radiation make sure they include the CT scanner with their radiation beams so they can more precisely target it. I had radiation to my t10 before without the CT and this 2nd time with the CT was so much better. Also make sure they do an MRI beforehand so they know precisely the areas they will be radiating.

About the meds I dunno. I just quit the taf/mek combo so I can start Merck's compassionate use PD1. The doc said since 1 tumor grew a lot and spread to a lymph node the combo was failing. However other tumors either stayed the same or shrank a little bit. Also you mention increase in activity. That sounds like how they respond to the FDG in the PET. That can flucuate some from PET scan to PET scan and your tumor could still physically be the same size. What I'm talking about is in the PET/CT the actual measurement in centimeters the tumor grows then you know the meds are not working on that tumor.

MattF
                  Participant

thanks

I know what you mean about the PET…..they did an MRI also…

Melanoma doc sees enough to atelase consult the Radiation doc….

So we will see .

Im waiting on approval for Xgeva now.

My pain is really not too bad….but i understand wantiong to strengthen the bones and stop the spread of disease.

MattF
                    Participant

thanks

So we will see .

My pain is really not too bad….but i understand wantiong to strengthen the bones and stop the spread of disease.

MattF
                      Participant

thanks

So we will see .

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

I'm on xgeva and wish I had started it sooner but I had a bad reaction to zometa. I've had 4 xgeva shots and they have been fine so far. I would recommend getting on xgeva especially since you have bone tumors in your vertebrae.

The radiation for me did shrink the tumor in my t10. It was 30 gray in 5 fractions. For me I had no side affects. If you do radiation make sure they include the CT scanner with their radiation beams so they can more precisely target it. I had radiation to my t10 before without the CT and this 2nd time with the CT was so much better. Also make sure they do an MRI beforehand so they know precisely the areas they will be radiating.

About the meds I dunno. I just quit the taf/mek combo so I can start Merck's compassionate use PD1. The doc said since 1 tumor grew a lot and spread to a lymph node the combo was failing. However other tumors either stayed the same or shrank a little bit. Also you mention increase in activity. That sounds like how they respond to the FDG in the PET. That can flucuate some from PET scan to PET scan and your tumor could still physically be the same size. What I'm talking about is in the PET/CT the actual measurement in centimeters the tumor grows then you know the meds are not working on that tumor.

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics