The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pet/ct medicare denial

Forums General Melanoma Community pet/ct medicare denial

Participant

Does anyone know what can be done about this? My husband has been required each time to sign an ABN (Advance Beneficiary Notice that the scans likely won't be covered by Medicare) for his PET/CT scans. Medicare has always paid until this last one. I know there is a limit to how many they will cover so apparently that limit has been met and we now have to pay. Is there a way of appealing this denial and getting it paid by Medicare? Why does Medicare limit the number of PET/CTs a patient can have? What scans do they recommend instead of the 6 month PET CT? Thank you

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Spsimmons12
        Participant

Hello,

I just ran into the same thing.  I was having PET SCANS every 6 months.  

My Doctor told me that insurance wasn't covering PET SCANS anymore but they will cover up to 3 CT's.  I asked him what about if cancer is found again, and he said the first time it would be rejected, but if they push back on it, it will get approved.

He also told me that they just recently discovered that a PET SCAN shows no more than a CT SCAN, and the CT SCAN is much less radiation ( I disagree, but im not the expert).  I have had 2 now with no problems.

Only 2-3 CT's are necessary per year now.

I hope this helps.

Stage 3B, NED since March

arthurjedi007
            Participant

I dunno why your doc would say a PET SCAN shows no more than a CT SCAN. When all this started for me they did at least 2 or 3 CTs and 2 or 3 MRIs. The only thing the reports showed was in the T10 vertebrae. They thought that was all I had so they started radiation on the T10. Then they did the PET. Keep in mind this is all in a 2 week timeframe. The PET showed at least 9 tumors. Everything greater than 3 on than PET scale. Most were around 7 back then except the T10 was about 11 I think.

Soooo at least in my experience the PET SCAN shows way more than the CT. Granted all my tumors were in bone so maybe that is the difference. I dunno. Just thought I should mention my experience.

Artie

Marianne quinn
              Participant

My husband has had 4 CTS, 1 MRI, and a Pet scan this calendar tear. He has Medicare senior advantage.

Marianne quinn
                Participant

My husband has had 4 CTS, 1 MRI, and a Pet scan this calendar tear. He has Medicare senior advantage.

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

First thing to realize is that a PET scan does not show cancer.  A pet scan shows the glucose uptake in tissue.  Especially damaged tissue.  it is famous for both false positives and false negatives.  I have had many of both.  I have had many injuries and surgeries, including oral surgery in  my 71 years.  My PET scans shows every one of those as a hot spot.  Including all the melanoma surgeries i have had. 

PET scan highlights do show starting points to be investigated  They did find my deep inguinal and iliac melanoma groin nodes.  They also missed a soft tissue groin melanoma two years later that I asked my surgeon to remove regardless of what the Pet and CT showed.  I could feel it growing and it was putting pressure on a nerve or tendon   It also missed a visible surface neck tumor I had at the same time.  The new groin tumor was a big black Melanoma   . 

A PET scan, inspite of subjecting one to a higher dosage of radiation, does not have the fine resolution of a CT scan, so cannot be used to show the more exact dimensions of a tumor that is need to tell growth or reduction.  I have not had a PET scan in 5 years.  I am not NED and have innumerable lung tumors which have been followed by CT scans which have varied from monthly to bi-monthly to quarterly to bi-yearly and now to yearly. 

In 2008 Blue Cross reduced the number of PET scans they would cover without a fight and the other Insurance companies quickly jumped on the bandwagon, so then Medicare decided they would to.  MRI's must be used to watch for brain metastases since the brain is one big hot spot on a PET, due=e to the huge amount of blood (Therefore a huge amount of glucose in it.)

If one has a lump or a pain then it is easier for ones oncologist to push for and justify an additional scan.  (I didn't say that!).

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

First thing to realize is that a PET scan does not show cancer.  A pet scan shows the glucose uptake in tissue.  Especially damaged tissue.  it is famous for both false positives and false negatives.  I have had many of both.  I have had many injuries and surgeries, including oral surgery in  my 71 years.  My PET scans shows every one of those as a hot spot.  Including all the melanoma surgeries i have had. 

PET scan highlights do show starting points to be investigated  They did find my deep inguinal and iliac melanoma groin nodes.  They also missed a soft tissue groin melanoma two years later that I asked my surgeon to remove regardless of what the Pet and CT showed.  I could feel it growing and it was putting pressure on a nerve or tendon   It also missed a visible surface neck tumor I had at the same time.  The new groin tumor was a big black Melanoma   . 

A PET scan, inspite of subjecting one to a higher dosage of radiation, does not have the fine resolution of a CT scan, so cannot be used to show the more exact dimensions of a tumor that is need to tell growth or reduction.  I have not had a PET scan in 5 years.  I am not NED and have innumerable lung tumors which have been followed by CT scans which have varied from monthly to bi-monthly to quarterly to bi-yearly and now to yearly. 

In 2008 Blue Cross reduced the number of PET scans they would cover without a fight and the other Insurance companies quickly jumped on the bandwagon, so then Medicare decided they would to.  MRI's must be used to watch for brain metastases since the brain is one big hot spot on a PET, due=e to the huge amount of blood (Therefore a huge amount of glucose in it.)

If one has a lump or a pain then it is easier for ones oncologist to push for and justify an additional scan.  (I didn't say that!).

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

I dunno why your doc would say a PET SCAN shows no more than a CT SCAN. When all this started for me they did at least 2 or 3 CTs and 2 or 3 MRIs. The only thing the reports showed was in the T10 vertebrae. They thought that was all I had so they started radiation on the T10. Then they did the PET. Keep in mind this is all in a 2 week timeframe. The PET showed at least 9 tumors. Everything greater than 3 on than PET scale. Most were around 7 back then except the T10 was about 11 I think.

Soooo at least in my experience the PET SCAN shows way more than the CT. Granted all my tumors were in bone so maybe that is the difference. I dunno. Just thought I should mention my experience.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Artie

Spsimmons12
                            Participant

Hello,

My Doctor told me that insurance wasn't covering PET SCANS anymore but they will cover up to 3 CT's.  I asked him what about if cancer is found again, and he said the first time it would be rejected, but if they push back on it, it will get approved.

He also told me that they just recently discovered that a PET SCAN shows no more than a CT SCAN, and the CT SCAN is much less radiation ( I disagree, but im not the expert).  I have had 2 now with no problems.

I hope this helps.

Spsimmons12
                              Participant

Hello,

I hope this helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics