The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET CT clear except for one ovary?

Forums General Melanoma Community PET CT clear except for one ovary?

Participant

So PET CT is clear except it lit up around one ovary and slightly into the vaginal area.  PA says this is "normal," though.  I don't get athe official report of results until my followup visit next week, but I am wondering why it would be normal for an ovary to light up on one side?  This is my third PET CT in 3 years and this did not happen on any of the others, though last year there was some kind of  "soft tissue anomaly" on the left, as well as a benign-looking left ovarian cyst on a regular CT, which did NOT light up on the followup PET. 

As someone with a history of vulvar melanoma, the area just seems a little close for comfort, but I am all for thinking it's normal!!  I am also a little confused.  And of course it is going to bug me until my visit next week!  Any ideas?  Do certain areas normally "light up" more than others?  Are ovaries one of them?  Do we know why? 

Cheri

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim K
        Participant

There are other reasons for those areas to light up as they are pretty active if still ovulating.  A better indicator would be to get a copy of the report if you can because it will show the degree of SUV uptake.  For most PET centers, an SUV of over 3 – 3.5 is more concerning for cancer.  That being said, benign processes can cause false uptake as well.  

PET only shows metabolic activity, a good quality CT scan is also needed to pin things down.  In the abdominal / vaginal area, a transvaginal ultrasound would really help as well.

I would be worried to, but again until you are told to worry, try not to.  For me researching worse case scenarios so I can discuss options with a clearer head worked best.  For others, staying away and keeping occupied doing other things works better.

I hate the wait, never got better with time and it totally sucks.

KK

CHD
            Participant

Thanks Kim K.  That was helpful.  It never gets easier for me either.  But I hate to waste an entire week of my life worrying about something that probably has a benign explanation.  Except for the moments when I am totally going to waste time worrying anyway, which can't be helped!  Will post back after I talk to doc next week for anyone else who might ever have this come up.

CHD
              Participant

Thanks Kim K.  That was helpful.  It never gets easier for me either.  But I hate to waste an entire week of my life worrying about something that probably has a benign explanation.  Except for the moments when I am totally going to waste time worrying anyway, which can't be helped!  Will post back after I talk to doc next week for anyone else who might ever have this come up.

CHD
                Participant

Kim K
                Participant

There are other reasons for those areas to light up as they are pretty active if still ovulating.  A better indicator would be to get a copy of the report if you can because it will show the degree of SUV uptake.  For most PET centers, an SUV of over 3 – 3.5 is more concerning for cancer.  That being said, benign processes can cause false uptake as well.  

PET only shows metabolic activity, a good quality CT scan is also needed to pin things down.  In the abdominal / vaginal area, a transvaginal ultrasound would really help as well.

I would be worried to, but again until you are told to worry, try not to.  For me researching worse case scenarios so I can discuss options with a clearer head worked best.  For others, staying away and keeping occupied doing other things works better.

KK

Kim K
                  Participant

KK

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics