The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pediatric Melanoma

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Pediatric Melanoma

Participant

Maybe you can give me some advice. I am from Europe but have lived in Australia, California and Florida. Both of my kids are fair skin. Especially my 13 year old son has had white hair and blue eyes. We spent big part of his life in Florida. I was just diagnosed with Melanoma in situ. My son has huge moles – more than 1 cm like 5 of them on his head. I have taken him before to pediatric dermatologist before and the doc never said anything. Also he has a large mole in his belly bottom. I am taking him back next week. What should I do? Should we have all the big moles removed? Now with my history I am really worried. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

At the very least, create baseline photos of these moles.  Then you have a way to monitor for change.  (Symmetric change related to growth is fine, assymetric change is more worrisome .  Since he may still be growing, I want to make that distinction).  If the moles are hard to monitor, it may be reason enough to remove.  Having large moles is not any guarantee of melanoma.  You having melanoma increases his risk, but risk is just that – risk, not certainty.  You are still looking for change and a mole that exhibits the "ugly duckling" factor.  Having multiple moles look similar is actually more reassuring than having one mole that is different.   I understand the panic feeling of the newly diagnosed but the most important thing is to understand the risk and monitor closely and find a derm who will work with you and your children. 

Sophietx
            Participant

Thanks. I have scheduled him to see a pediatric dermatologist and also waiting for an appointment at larger children's hospital. We have discussed a belly button mole removal before with a general surgeon. He said that its up to us but we might risk a hernia. It might be better to have this mole removed by surgical dermatologist? That's who did my WLE – surgical oncologist who only does skin surgery.

A
              Participant

I would let plastic surgeon remove as many large moles as you can. I had a mole in my belly button: dermatologists were not concerned. I decided to remove it and it turned out to be severely atypical. Plastic surgeon should do a good job with cosmetically appropriate outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Sophietx
                Participant

Thank you. I feel the same way. I have had 3 annual check ups and my dermatologist didn't say anything about my mole on my chest. Luckily I went for breast cancer monitoring. And the breast cancer surgeon didn't like the mole. I have taken both of my kids to see a dermatologist few times. I was concern since we lived in Florida and enjoyed the outdoors. I wished the doc would had told me how important sun safety is. Also I think pediatricians should stress that. I was putting sun screen but we just loved the beach a lot. I will be much smarter now. 

I do want all his large moles on his head and in his belly button removed. May try to get mole mapping set up for him as well. Also my girl has had this "pink pimple" on her chin. I want this out as well.

Sophietx
                  Participant

So had the app with pediatric dermatologist. He measured and took photos of all his moles and compaired them to a year ago. We are going to have a surgery to remove the mole on his belly bottom and as well one weird looking mall on his head. The rest of the moles look stable. In Feb I am taking my son for 2nd oppinion to large children hospital. I want to make sure we get 2nd opinion about all his moles.

Sophietx
                    Participant

So had the app with pediatric dermatologist. He measured and took photos of all his moles and compaired them to a year ago. We are going to have a surgery to remove the mole on his belly bottom and as well one weird looking mall on his head. The rest of the moles look stable. In Feb I am taking my son for 2nd oppinion to large children hospital. I want to make sure we get 2nd opinion about all his moles.

Sophietx
                      Participant

Sophietx
                        Participant

Thank you. I feel the same way. I have had 3 annual check ups and my dermatologist didn't say anything about my mole on my chest. Luckily I went for breast cancer monitoring. And the breast cancer surgeon didn't like the mole. I have taken both of my kids to see a dermatologist few times. I was concern since we lived in Florida and enjoyed the outdoors. I wished the doc would had told me how important sun safety is. Also I think pediatricians should stress that. I was putting sun screen but we just loved the beach a lot. I will be much smarter now. 

I do want all his large moles on his head and in his belly button removed. May try to get mole mapping set up for him as well. Also my girl has had this "pink pimple" on her chin. I want this out as well.

Sophietx
                          Participant

A
                            Participant

I would let plastic surgeon remove as many large moles as you can. I had a mole in my belly button: dermatologists were not concerned. I decided to remove it and it turned out to be severely atypical. Plastic surgeon should do a good job with cosmetically appropriate outcome. Just my 2 cents.

A
                              Participant

Sophietx
                                Participant

Thanks. I have scheduled him to see a pediatric dermatologist and also waiting for an appointment at larger children's hospital. We have discussed a belly button mole removal before with a general surgeon. He said that its up to us but we might risk a hernia. It might be better to have this mole removed by surgical dermatologist? That's who did my WLE – surgical oncologist who only does skin surgery.

Sophietx
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

At the very least, create baseline photos of these moles.  Then you have a way to monitor for change.  (Symmetric change related to growth is fine, assymetric change is more worrisome .  Since he may still be growing, I want to make that distinction).  If the moles are hard to monitor, it may be reason enough to remove.  Having large moles is not any guarantee of melanoma.  You having melanoma increases his risk, but risk is just that – risk, not certainty.  You are still looking for change and a mole that exhibits the "ugly duckling" factor.  Having multiple moles look similar is actually more reassuring than having one mole that is different.   I understand the panic feeling of the newly diagnosed but the most important thing is to understand the risk and monitor closely and find a derm who will work with you and your children. 

Janner
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics