The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pediatric Melanoma

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community Pediatric Melanoma

Participant

I was diagnosed in 7-2005 with Melanoma on the back (0.25MM – Stage 1A, Clark level 2) three months after I gave birth to my daughter.  My 2nd daughter was born in June the following year.  Last night I noticed that a mole on my 2nd daughter’s butt (she had it since she was a baby) has changed in color and immediately took her to my dermatologist this morning to have it biopsied.  The doctor said that 2 new moles have grown on top of the existing mole so the color is different but thinks it is a good idea to have it biopsied.  In event, I am f

I was diagnosed in 7-2005 with Melanoma on the back (0.25MM – Stage 1A, Clark level 2) three months after I gave birth to my daughter.  My 2nd daughter was born in June the following year.  Last night I noticed that a mole on my 2nd daughter’s butt (she had it since she was a baby) has changed in color and immediately took her to my dermatologist this morning to have it biopsied.  The doctor said that 2 new moles have grown on top of the existing mole so the color is different but thinks it is a good idea to have it biopsied.  In event, I am freaking out and lot of unpleasant memories came back … I googled and it appears that pediatric melanoma is rare and extremely unpredictable … sorry but I just need to vent a little … any thoughts?  The doctor said the result will come back in a week … I don’t know how I am going to survive this week …         

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Maybe it helps to know that melanoma is REALLY RARE in small children.

For example, it the whole United Kingdom in 2007, there was only one new case of melanoma in the age group 5-9.

(Source: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/skin/incidence/#age Figure 1.2)

Newmom
            Participant

Thanks for that – I guess that's how I should look at this (at least for mow) but it just broke my heart to see her getting the biopsy.  She was so brave and didn't even move a bit.  I remember my biopsy was somewhat painful.  I have been so careful with my daughters after my experience since I know this can happen to anyone – I really don't fit any of the "risk profiles" myself.  I am a chinese female in the mid 30s who is rarely exposed to the sun and with no family history.

Newmom
              Participant

Thanks for that – I guess that's how I should look at this (at least for mow) but it just broke my heart to see her getting the biopsy.  She was so brave and didn't even move a bit.  I remember my biopsy was somewhat painful.  I have been so careful with my daughters after my experience since I know this can happen to anyone – I really don't fit any of the "risk profiles" myself.  I am a chinese female in the mid 30s who is rarely exposed to the sun and with no family history.

W.
              Participant

Maybe it helps to know that melanoma is REALLY RARE in small children.

For example, it the whole United Kingdom in 2007, there was only one new case of melanoma in the age group 5-9.

(Source: http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/types/skin/incidence/#age Figure 1.2)

Janner
                Participant

Just so you know, almost every parent that has posted here that has a child with melanoma… the parents did not have melanoma.  The child was the anomaly and it was NOT familial.  So, you have had the biopsy and have taken care of the problem.  Soon you'll know for sure what you are dealing with.  But it really is extremely unlikely to be melanoma. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Just so you know, almost every parent that has posted here that has a child with melanoma… the parents did not have melanoma.  The child was the anomaly and it was NOT familial.  So, you have had the biopsy and have taken care of the problem.  Soon you'll know for sure what you are dealing with.  But it really is extremely unlikely to be melanoma. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Newmom
                    Participant

Question on the biopsy – I asked the doctor to do a punch biopsy but he said the mole was too big so he shaved it instead.  I think the mole has a diameter of about 4MM.  Is this true?

Newmom
                      Participant

Question on the biopsy – I asked the doctor to do a punch biopsy but he said the mole was too big so he shaved it instead.  I think the mole has a diameter of about 4MM.  Is this true?

Janner
                          Participant

I know punches go up to about 8mm if he has the correct tool.  So yes, it could have been punched but maybe he didn't have that size.  Punches require stitches, though, and maybe that wouldn't be the best choice for a young one.  Regardless of the method, the biopsy is done and you go from there.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

I know punches go up to about 8mm if he has the correct tool.  So yes, it could have been punched but maybe he didn't have that size.  Punches require stitches, though, and maybe that wouldn't be the best choice for a young one.  Regardless of the method, the biopsy is done and you go from there.

Best wishes,

Janner

Ranisa
                            Participant

I have been thinking of you and your family…hoping for the best for your daughter, and waiting to hear how it has gone.

Newmom
                                Participant

thank you so much for your message – her biopsy result came back normal.  I have been occupied with my own conditions and forgot to let everyone know the good news.  In any event, according to the nurse who called it was just a "little mole".  I guess she has no idea how difficult it is to wait for reports and even sat on it for several more days after receiving it back from the lab. 

Ranisa
                                  Participant

That is great news!  Now you can concentrate on you!

Ranisa
                                    Participant

That is great news!  Now you can concentrate on you!

lhaley
                                      Participant

So glad that you daughter's biopsy came back normal!!  Some medical staff just don't get the anxiety that melanoma brings!  You would think that working in a dermatologists office would give the nurse an understanding….. But, glad it's all ok!

Linda

lhaley
                                        Participant

So glad that you daughter's biopsy came back normal!!  Some medical staff just don't get the anxiety that melanoma brings!  You would think that working in a dermatologists office would give the nurse an understanding….. But, glad it's all ok!

Linda

Newmom
                                          Participant

thank you so much for your message – her biopsy result came back normal.  I have been occupied with my own conditions and forgot to let everyone know the good news.  In any event, according to the nurse who called it was just a "little mole".  I guess she has no idea how difficult it is to wait for reports and even sat on it for several more days after receiving it back from the lab. 

Ranisa
                                          Participant

I have been thinking of you and your family…hoping for the best for your daughter, and waiting to hear how it has gone.

Newmom
                                            Participant

Anyone know if it is typical that moles grow back at the same spot after biopsy?  My daughter had a mole shaved and biposied (result was normal) but the mole came back a month and a half later.  I took her back to the derm and he did a punch biposy this time.   He said it shoud be ok but just want to be sure.  Any thoughts?

Janner
                                                Participant

Shave biopsies often don't get the full depth of a mole and that is why it is possible a mole could grow back.  It's much more common with a shave biopsy than other types.  In general, it is rare that the mole that grew back would be much different in character than the original mole.  However, it is harder to read pathology though scar tissue so a lesion may look more atypical that it really is because of the scar tissue.  Just make sure than any biopsy is sent to pathology, but I wouldn't lose sleep on something like this.

Newmom
                                                  Participant

Thanks Janner as always – yes I believe the biopsy was sent to the NYU Dermatopathology Lab like the last time (they also did my biopsy several years ago).  I guess what concerned us was the speed it grew back –  her shave biopsy was 1MM according to the report.

Janner
                                                    Participant

Some moles that are bisected grow back quickly, others grow slowly, others don't grow back at all.  I wouldn't worry about the regrowth.  Anytime there are cells left behind, there is a possibility that the mole will grow back.  I wouldn't read anything into the quick regrowth either.

Janner
                                                      Participant

Some moles that are bisected grow back quickly, others grow slowly, others don't grow back at all.  I wouldn't worry about the regrowth.  Anytime there are cells left behind, there is a possibility that the mole will grow back.  I wouldn't read anything into the quick regrowth either.

Newmom
                                                        Participant

Thanks Janner as always – yes I believe the biopsy was sent to the NYU Dermatopathology Lab like the last time (they also did my biopsy several years ago).  I guess what concerned us was the speed it grew back –  her shave biopsy was 1MM according to the report.

Janner
                                                          Participant

Shave biopsies often don't get the full depth of a mole and that is why it is possible a mole could grow back.  It's much more common with a shave biopsy than other types.  In general, it is rare that the mole that grew back would be much different in character than the original mole.  However, it is harder to read pathology though scar tissue so a lesion may look more atypical that it really is because of the scar tissue.  Just make sure than any biopsy is sent to pathology, but I wouldn't lose sleep on something like this.

Newmom
                                                          Participant

Anyone know if it is typical that moles grow back at the same spot after biopsy?  My daughter had a mole shaved and biposied (result was normal) but the mole came back a month and a half later.  I took her back to the derm and he did a punch biposy this time.   He said it shoud be ok but just want to be sure.  Any thoughts?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics