The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PD1

Participant

Can anyone tell me whether they have been taking pd1 drugs and how successful they have been?

Thanks 

Sally

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        dsfarms13108
        Participant

I HAVE BEEN ON A MERCK PD1 TRIAL SINCE JULY 2013 AT DANA FARBER CANCER INSTITUTE IN BOSTON MASS.I HAVE BEEN A PARTIAL RESPONSE TO THE  PD1 AND HAVE HAD VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS .THE ONLY REAL SIDE EFFFECTS I HAVE SEEN ARE MY EYELASHES TURNING WHITE AND FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS FOR A DAY AFTER INFUSION -TIRED ACHY A LITTLE . BEFORE THIS TRIAL I WAS TAKING ZELBORAF AND HAD EXTREME SIDE EFFECTS ,SO THESE ARE EASY FOR ME TO DEAL WITH .

sweetaugust
            Participant

Hi there,

I've had success with pd1.  My melanoma metastesized to a lymph node in my right arm pit in Sept 2012 at 39 yrs old.  The scan revealed that met, as well as several other nodes in my other arm pit, behind my chest wall, wrapped around my heart, and a mass on my liver.

I started MK-3475 (highest dose – every 3 weeks) Oct 31, 2012…and it is now April 4, 2014 and i am doing great.  I am at Dana Farber in Boston.

At the 3 month mark, all other large nodes shrank to normal and the mass on liver disappeared.  But the met node was aggressive and doubled in size.  At the 6 month mark, my met node blew up and died and now it has been shrinking by about 15% every 5 weeks that I scan.  My most recent scan from a couple weeks ago showed my met node is now smaller than it was at the beginning of the trial, and nothing else showed up on my scan, so all is fantastic.

Side effects for me:  Living a basically normal life.  Still working full time and feeling good.  Have nausea usually the first week after treatment and then some in the second and third week, but I have still never thrown up.  Have the itchy rash on my chest, neck, and back of head, but it goes away in the summer months.  I get a little fatigue, but really that is probably just from working and my social life.  I just started getting joint pain a couple weeks ago in my hip and shoulder. 

Otherwise all is great.  I don't take any prescription medications and I try to eat mostly raw organic fruits and veggies to help my body stay healthy. No meat or dairy or refined sugars.   I originally signed up for treatment for 2 years, but back in November they changed it to no end date.

Laurie

sweetaugust
              Participant

Hi there,

I've had success with pd1.  My melanoma metastesized to a lymph node in my right arm pit in Sept 2012 at 39 yrs old.  The scan revealed that met, as well as several other nodes in my other arm pit, behind my chest wall, wrapped around my heart, and a mass on my liver.

I started MK-3475 (highest dose – every 3 weeks) Oct 31, 2012…and it is now April 4, 2014 and i am doing great.  I am at Dana Farber in Boston.

At the 3 month mark, all other large nodes shrank to normal and the mass on liver disappeared.  But the met node was aggressive and doubled in size.  At the 6 month mark, my met node blew up and died and now it has been shrinking by about 15% every 5 weeks that I scan.  My most recent scan from a couple weeks ago showed my met node is now smaller than it was at the beginning of the trial, and nothing else showed up on my scan, so all is fantastic.

Side effects for me:  Living a basically normal life.  Still working full time and feeling good.  Have nausea usually the first week after treatment and then some in the second and third week, but I have still never thrown up.  Have the itchy rash on my chest, neck, and back of head, but it goes away in the summer months.  I get a little fatigue, but really that is probably just from working and my social life.  I just started getting joint pain a couple weeks ago in my hip and shoulder. 

Otherwise all is great.  I don't take any prescription medications and I try to eat mostly raw organic fruits and veggies to help my body stay healthy. No meat or dairy or refined sugars.   I originally signed up for treatment for 2 years, but back in November they changed it to no end date.

Laurie

sweetaugust
                Participant

Hi there,

Laurie

dsfarms13108
                Participant

I HAVE BEEN ON A MERCK PD1 TRIAL SINCE JULY 2013 AT DANA FARBER CANCER INSTITUTE IN BOSTON MASS.I HAVE BEEN A PARTIAL RESPONSE TO THE  PD1 AND HAVE HAD VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS .THE ONLY REAL SIDE EFFFECTS I HAVE SEEN ARE MY EYELASHES TURNING WHITE AND FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS FOR A DAY AFTER INFUSION -TIRED ACHY A LITTLE . BEFORE THIS TRIAL I WAS TAKING ZELBORAF AND HAD EXTREME SIDE EFFECTS ,SO THESE ARE EASY FOR ME TO DEAL WITH .

dsfarms13108
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics