The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Patients who fail PLX 4032 BRAF

Forums General Melanoma Community Patients who fail PLX 4032 BRAF

Keymaster

Genentech has just opened a study for people who have taken the Plexxikon/Roche/Genentech BRAF inhibitor, also known as PLX 4032.  This study is a combination trial using PLX plus a MEK inhibitor.  Some folks from this board have been in the BRAF/MEK trial being run by GSK, and this new trial is similar.  One criteria, though, is that you must have taken the Plexxikon drug and have developed resistance to that drug.

Genentech has just opened a study for people who have taken the Plexxikon/Roche/Genentech BRAF inhibitor, also known as PLX 4032.  This study is a combination trial using PLX plus a MEK inhibitor.  Some folks from this board have been in the BRAF/MEK trial being run by GSK, and this new trial is similar.  One criteria, though, is that you must have taken the Plexxikon drug and have developed resistance to that drug.

Currently three sites are open:  Dr. Gajewski in Chicago, Dr. Ribas in UCLA, and Dr. Gonzalez in Denver.  Four more sites will open soon.  You can go to this link to find out information about melanoma relevant clinical trials, including this one:  http://www.emergingmed.com/networks/MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jan in OC
        Participant

Do you have a link to the trial?  My husband did Roche BRAF at UCLA most of last year and failed in Dec 2010.  But in Jan 2011  they discovered a small brain met.  Are brain mets excluded.? We are going up to UCLA tomorrow for 4th IPI (maybe) but he has not shown any response and bas side effects, so I am looking for new options.

Jan, wife to Dirk

Jan in OC
          Participant

Do you have a link to the trial?  My husband did Roche BRAF at UCLA most of last year and failed in Dec 2010.  But in Jan 2011  they discovered a small brain met.  Are brain mets excluded.? We are going up to UCLA tomorrow for 4th IPI (maybe) but he has not shown any response and bas side effects, so I am looking for new options.

Jan, wife to Dirk

Charlie S
            Participant

Good information, but I take issue with your title bar about "Patients who Fail".  Patients either respond or do not to treatments or clinical trials.

This failure mentality  serves no usefull purpose.  Non-response to treatment but not failure.  It is a matter of a treatment approach that failed, not a failure on the part of the  patient.

The treatment and science failed in the approach for the selected patients, NOT the patient.

For years, I have seen patients that did not respond to treatments and time and time again have came to this board declaring themselves "failures", because a treatment did not take, and it is a blow to their psyche;  for someone to add to that as a non-responder to be a failure only enhances to downtrod their hope.

Do you even, possibly GET that????????

Charlie S

Jan in OC
                Participant

Sorry Charlie,  I know you were not shouting at me.  I usually refer to it as non-response, not failure, because it is too negative, just a small slip.  I will try to remember that and be more careful.

We are just feeling a little stunned because the doc said that right now it looks like my husband is non-responsive to IPI and he did not have any options for us.  

I asked about the above referenced trial and was told that Plexxicon/Roche is only allowing patients straight from the "BRAF only" who have starting seeing growth.  And you had to have taken the Roche drug, not GSK. 

Even though the trial description says different.  Doc said that right now, my husband doesn't meet the criteria because he went form BRAF to IPI. We needed this trial 3 months ago!   Maybe when the trial gets to phase II or next cohort, they will open it up to more patients.   I asked the doc to double check with the mfg and see if they will let us in. Still hoping for a miracle.

Jan, wife to Dirk

Charlie S
                  Participant

I know Jan, and I wasn't really meaning to shout at you, it was really directed at  Tim; although he means well, addressing ANY patient attempts at treatment as a failure in any way, shape, fashion or form is an emotional and not a factual response, and it  just pisses me off because "failure" only adds to stigmatize the patients mindset during battle.

The setbacks are devastating when chasing the ghosts to get a treatment and it hits a nerve with me when there is talk of failure.  Nobody here fails and I really mean that……………nobody.

The politics right now of the most promising trials is intense;  regrettably, as a result, some of the trials are now becoming more and more mutually exclusive regardless of the initial descriptions and it ends up causing patients chasing ratholes of disappointment.

My sincere apologies that I came across shouting at you.  Not my intention at all.

You and Dirk keep slugging.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                    Participant

I know Jan, and I wasn't really meaning to shout at you, it was really directed at  Tim; although he means well, addressing ANY patient attempts at treatment as a failure in any way, shape, fashion or form is an emotional and not a factual response, and it  just pisses me off because "failure" only adds to stigmatize the patients mindset during battle.

The setbacks are devastating when chasing the ghosts to get a treatment and it hits a nerve with me when there is talk of failure.  Nobody here fails and I really mean that……………nobody.

The politics right now of the most promising trials is intense;  regrettably, as a result, some of the trials are now becoming more and more mutually exclusive regardless of the initial descriptions and it ends up causing patients chasing ratholes of disappointment.

My sincere apologies that I came across shouting at you.  Not my intention at all.

You and Dirk keep slugging.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Jan in OC
                      Participant

Sorry Charlie,  I know you were not shouting at me.  I usually refer to it as non-response, not failure, because it is too negative, just a small slip.  I will try to remember that and be more careful.

We are just feeling a little stunned because the doc said that right now it looks like my husband is non-responsive to IPI and he did not have any options for us.  

I asked about the above referenced trial and was told that Plexxicon/Roche is only allowing patients straight from the "BRAF only" who have starting seeing growth.  And you had to have taken the Roche drug, not GSK. 

Even though the trial description says different.  Doc said that right now, my husband doesn't meet the criteria because he went form BRAF to IPI. We needed this trial 3 months ago!   Maybe when the trial gets to phase II or next cohort, they will open it up to more patients.   I asked the doc to double check with the mfg and see if they will let us in. Still hoping for a miracle.

Jan, wife to Dirk

Charlie S
                      Participant

Good information, but I take issue with your title bar about "Patients who Fail".  Patients either respond or do not to treatments or clinical trials.

This failure mentality  serves no usefull purpose.  Non-response to treatment but not failure.  It is a matter of a treatment approach that failed, not a failure on the part of the  patient.

The treatment and science failed in the approach for the selected patients, NOT the patient.

For years, I have seen patients that did not respond to treatments and time and time again have came to this board declaring themselves "failures", because a treatment did not take, and it is a blow to their psyche;  for someone to add to that as a non-responder to be a failure only enhances to downtrod their hope.

Do you even, possibly GET that????????

Charlie S

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics