The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Patient Dropped

Forums General Melanoma Community Patient Dropped

Participant
      Hi,
      My mother-in-law who has stage 4 breast cancer (bones, spinal cord & brain lining) received a LETTER saying he would no longer see her. We all have no idea why!!! I’ve been on this forum for a really long time so I thought I would reach out to you all. Any thoughts why an oncologist could/would do this.
      Thank you.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Is it possible that her doc got a job at another place or is maybe going to retire? I had my first medical oncologist for two years, before he left USC to focus on his research lab and move to MD Anderson. My husband's dentist is retiring, but also had to take quite a duration of time away, when he developed cancer himself. It seems awkward that a doctor would ever drop a patient, but still be remaining at the same practice……. unless he is trying to bring in a new partner that he would like to transfer her to? It wouldn't be terribly unusual for the doc not to mention anything outside of "personal reasons". Sorry this is happening to her… particularly at stage 4. Finding and adjusting to a new oncologist can take some time.

Everymoment
            Participant
              You bring up some really good points that I had not thought of. Maybe the doctor is going through something personal. Maybe it’s something that he does not or will not disclose to the General Public. Or he could be moving to another practice. These are all good ideas that I will share with her tonight
            UBContributor
            Participant

adding to the possible reasons above: dr may loose lisence, or got an active legal battle with another similar cancer patient, etc (i am a lawyer) and hesitant to provide such reasons in a letter.

Everymoment
                Participant
                  I think when we get denied for anything for any reason we always take it so personal. Good point that the doctor himself might actually be in some type of trouble. Thank you for your thoughts.
                  Everymoment
                  Participant
                    I think when we get denied for anything for any reason we always take it so personal. Good point that the doctor himself might actually be in some type of trouble. Thank you for your thoughts.
                  youngann
                  Participant

It may be worth calling to ask why. Sometimes people are a little more willing to say something rather than have it put in a letter.

Good luck,

Ann

Everymoment
                      Participant
                        Yes, I think we have to figure out who has medical power of attorney. Does that sound right? Somebody has to be able to make decisions if she cannot and we need to figure out who this is. Thank you for your response.
                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics