The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology Slides Melanoma vs Atypical Spitz Tumor

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology Slides Melanoma vs Atypical Spitz Tumor

Participant

I was recently diagnosed with Spindle Cell Melanoma Stage IIIa, 1.3mm on my inner thigh and microscopic cells found in my SNL.  I was advised that standard care is to get a full lymph node disection in my groin.and follow up with adjuvdent therapy.  This was all done in a community hospital outside of Chicago.

I saught a second opinion from Northwestern Univ Hospital in Chicago and they reviewed the pathology slides.  After 3 weeks they told me that it was a challenging case and the concensus is a diagnosis of Atypical Spitz Tumor not Melanoma. it is rare and difficult to detect because it looks like melanoma – they did a FISH test and tesetd chromosomes of the tumor and determined it was not melanoma. Its similar to a benign tumor with cancer like tendencies so it can spread to a SNL but thats about it.  They told me no surgery, no treatment and to follow up every 4 months with Ultrasound.

I am feeling cautioulsy optimistic.  Both Drs said no need for surgery at this point – even the first one since the slides are questionable and if NW is wrong they can catch anything that comes up via ultrasound,

So I know this is a controversial diagnosis and complex – Does anyone else have an Atypical Spitz Tumor? Do I go with the Univ Hospital?  Do I get a third opinion?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Renate, this is good news! I am glad you got a second opinion. Maybe a third is a good idea? I don't really know much about Spitz other than the good news that it is not melanoma! NW is a good resource for you and I would trust the doctors there. Hopefully someone has some more information on here for you about Spitz tumors.

All the best,

Jenn

Renate
            Participant

Thank you Jenn!  Im feeling hopeful but nervous about opposing opinions.

jennunicorn
              Participant

Yeah, I don't blame you for feeling a little nervous, that's why maybe a third opinion would be good, if they say the same thing as NW then that should make it a more concrete diagnosis and make you feel a little better about it.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Yeah, I don't blame you for feeling a little nervous, that's why maybe a third opinion would be good, if they say the same thing as NW then that should make it a more concrete diagnosis and make you feel a little better about it.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Renate
                    Participant

Renate
                      Participant

jennunicorn
                      Participant

Renate, this is good news! I am glad you got a second opinion. Maybe a third is a good idea? I don't really know much about Spitz other than the good news that it is not melanoma! NW is a good resource for you and I would trust the doctors there. Hopefully someone has some more information on here for you about Spitz tumors.

All the best,

Jenn

jennunicorn
                        Participant

All the best,

Jenn

Becky
                          Participant

This sounds similar to what happened with my son. He was dx with spindle cell melanoma that had spread to one lymph node. His doctors sent it to UCSF for a seond opinion and they also said melanoma.

Becuase of his age ( 20 ) and the unusual location ( toungue) his doctor then sent it to Mass General for a 3rd opinion. That was " severely atyical spindle cell nevomelanocytic profliferation:borderline tumor"

His doctors decided to treat as melanoma  since 2 pathologists said melanoma, the third was inconclusive. He had the surgery and did interferon for a year ( the only thing available at the time)

I think since they did the FISH test, you should feel pretty sure. I did tons of research and found lots of articles talking about spitz/spindle cell benign tumors spreading atypical cells to lymph nodes but nowhere else.

Sounds like good news to me!

Becky
                            Participant

This sounds similar to what happened with my son. He was dx with spindle cell melanoma that had spread to one lymph node. His doctors sent it to UCSF for a seond opinion and they also said melanoma.

Becuase of his age ( 20 ) and the unusual location ( toungue) his doctor then sent it to Mass General for a 3rd opinion. That was " severely atyical spindle cell nevomelanocytic profliferation:borderline tumor"

His doctors decided to treat as melanoma  since 2 pathologists said melanoma, the third was inconclusive. He had the surgery and did interferon for a year ( the only thing available at the time)

I think since they did the FISH test, you should feel pretty sure. I did tons of research and found lots of articles talking about spitz/spindle cell benign tumors spreading atypical cells to lymph nodes but nowhere else.

Renate
                                Participant

Thank you Becky!!!  I hope your son is doing well and I appreciate the feedback!

Renate
                                  Participant

Thank you Becky!!!  I hope your son is doing well and I appreciate the feedback!

Becky
                                    Participant

He finished the year of interferon 5 years ago and so far so good!

Becky
                                      Participant

Becky
                                        Participant

Renate
                                          Participant

Becky
                                          Participant

JoshF
                                            Participant

Definitely good news and NW is great hospital…assuming you saw Kuzel, Bilmoria or Wayne? Remain vigilant and do follow up as suggested….try to stay out front of anything. Happy that your fortunes changed…wishing you best!!!

JoshF
                                              Participant

Definitely good news and NW is great hospital…assuming you saw Kuzel, Bilmoria or Wayne? Remain vigilant and do follow up as suggested….try to stay out front of anything. Happy that your fortunes changed…wishing you best!!!

JoshF
                                                Participant

Cindyrandy
                                                  Participant

Hi, how's it going now. Hope everything is ok.

Tnfsf9

Cindyrandy
                                                    Participant

Tnfsf9

Cindyrandy
                                                      Participant

Tnfsf9

WithinMySkin
                                                        Participant
                                                          Such fantastic news! Im so happy for you! I know you’ve been on a roller coaster of emotions with this diagnosis. At least now you have time to get a third opinion (if you wish) and not feel the rush to hop into treatment. It’s been mentioned before on this site to always have an odd number of docs so you have a tiebreaker – might be a good idea for peace of mind!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                          Participant
                                                            Such fantastic news! Im so happy for you! I know you’ve been on a roller coaster of emotions with this diagnosis. At least now you have time to get a third opinion (if you wish) and not feel the rush to hop into treatment. It’s been mentioned before on this site to always have an odd number of docs so you have a tiebreaker – might be a good idea for peace of mind!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                            Participant

Lauren

Renate
                                                              Participant

Thank you all for your comments!!!  I went to my tiebreaker today – Dr Richards at Lutheran General.  He completely sided with NW (Dr Wayne) and totally trusted Dr Garami's (dermapath) diagnosis of Atypical Spitz Tumor.

He said the 2 factors that made him suspect my slides were read wrong in the first place was that my mole was only 1.3 mm and it spread and that the SNL had microscopic cells found in them.  So at this point there is no treatment of any kind – just follow up with the ultrasound and derm appts every 4mos.  

I was all set to get my lymph nodes out and go thru life with the worry of having Melanoma and possible reoccurrence. I have such mixed emotions – What if I never got the second opinion?  How many other people has this happened to?  I hope this is not a mistake.  My heart also aches for the people that do have melanoma, since I was on the other side of this. I feel cautiously optimistic and humbled.  

God bless you all and thank you for your support on this journe.  I wish you all the blessing of good news and clean scans.

XOXO

Renate
                                                                Participant

Thank you all for your comments!!!  I went to my tiebreaker today – Dr Richards at Lutheran General.  He completely sided with NW (Dr Wayne) and totally trusted Dr Garami's (dermapath) diagnosis of Atypical Spitz Tumor.

He said the 2 factors that made him suspect my slides were read wrong in the first place was that my mole was only 1.3 mm and it spread and that the SNL had microscopic cells found in them.  So at this point there is no treatment of any kind – just follow up with the ultrasound and derm appts every 4mos.  

I was all set to get my lymph nodes out and go thru life with the worry of having Melanoma and possible reoccurrence. I have such mixed emotions – What if I never got the second opinion?  How many other people has this happened to?  I hope this is not a mistake.  My heart also aches for the people that do have melanoma, since I was on the other side of this. I feel cautiously optimistic and humbled.  

God bless you all and thank you for your support on this journe.  I wish you all the blessing of good news and clean scans.

XOXO

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

Such good news! I am SO glad you didn't get all your lymph nodes removed and something made you get that second (and now third) opinion. Crazy how life works sometimes, right?! 

Wishing you nothing but good news for life! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

Such good news! I am SO glad you didn't get all your lymph nodes removed and something made you get that second (and now third) opinion. Crazy how life works sometimes, right?! 

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

Renate
                                                                        Participant

XOXO

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics