The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PATHOLOGY REPORT-LENTIGO ATYPIA

Forums General Melanoma Community PATHOLOGY REPORT-LENTIGO ATYPIA

Participant
      So,after two weeks I received my biopsy report. It determined a lesion on my foot to be LENTIGO ATYPIA. The doctor said because the margins are clear no further treatment is required. What exactly is LENTIGO atypia?
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Without more info from the path report, all we can say is "lentigo = freckle" and atypia = some degree of atypical cells, but not enough atypia to be melanoma.  Weird freckle.

1Cbras
            Participant
              Here is the entire report…thanks…

Final PATH
              AP results

————————————————————
              FINAL PATHOLOGY REPORT

1Cbras
              Participant
                Final PATH
                AP results

————————————————————
                FINAL PATHOLOGY REPORT
                DIAGNOSIS
                LEFT FOOT BIOPSY:
                LENTIGO WITH ATYPIA, COMPLETELY EXCISED

COMMENTS: MULTIPLE LEVELS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED. THIS CASE HAS ALSO BEEN REVIEWED BY 2 DERMATOPATHOLOGISTS.

————————————————————
                Surgical Site: Other(specify below); left foot plantar aspect
                Operative Procedure: Other(specify below); excision
                Clinical Information: skin lesion
                ————————————————————
                GROSS EXAMINATION
                the specimen is received in 10% neutral buffered formalin labeled “left foot” and consists of one piece of tan-gray ellipse of skin with a suture marking at the 12:00 margin. the specimen measures 2.2 x 1.3 x 0.5 cm. The specimen has a light brown flat lesion in the center measuring 0.5 x 0.4 cm. The 3:00 margin is inked blue. the 9:00 margin is inked yellow. the specimen is serially sectioned from the 12:00 margin to the 6:00 margin. the specimen is entirely submitted in cassettes 1A through 1H. PD

Summary of sections:
                1A= 2 tips (12:00 margin)
                1B thorugh 1G= 1 piece each (center sections)
                1H= 2 tips (6:00 margin)

Electronically Signed 11/28/2017 1:16 PM
                Geraldine Mercer,MD
                Pathologist

CPT Codes: 88305

RESULT NOTE Surg02: Op Procedure? : Other(specify below) excision
                Surg04: Clinical information? : skin lesion

Janner
                Participant

The full report isn't any more illuminating.  It describes the sample but not the atypia.  I was looking to see if there were any description of the type of atypia (cellular or architectural) or any degree (mild, moderate, severe).  Often found in reports but not yours.  You just get to go with the final diagnosis and what I said before doesn't change.

1Cbras
                  Participant
                    Thanks. So, now I’m torn. I have at least two other weird lesions on the same foot…not as weird as the one removed but weird…and smaller…should I get at least a punch biopsy (to avoid recovery time for removal) or should I just photograph and watch? Thoughts? Thanks…
                    Janner
                    Participant

Having multiple that are similar actually makes things less likely they are concerning.  You are really looking for the ugly duckling – the lesion that stands out because it is different.  Me?  I'd photograph and watch for change.  That's what I've always done and I'm still stage I 25 years later (with 3 primaries).  I really don't biopsy without reason.  You have to do what makes sense to you.

Viewing 0 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics