The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology Report from Axillary Lymph Node Dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology Report from Axillary Lymph Node Dissection

Participant

So the surgeon called Sunday morning to give me the results from the pathology report from Tuesday's surgery.  Once again, totally impressed with the sense of urgency provided by the surgeon.  My surgeon is totally void of emotions so I never no how to read him (might be a good trait for a doctor since we all seem to hang on every word they say). Level 1 & II lymph nodes had 4 out of 21 that had cancer.  Level III had 1 out of 9.  He said this was consistent with the PET scan and what he had expected.  There is probably lots more that can be pulled once I get the full report.  So I'm thinking cancer is cancer and since I had some floating around in me for 14 years, this doesn't mean squat (glass is half empty).  On the other hand, looks like they got what they could see and it doesn't appear to be "all over" (glass is half full).  So my approach is to suck it up and heal this mess from the dissection (getting the drain tube out will be cause for celebration), meet with the oncologist in a week and get on with some adjuvant treatment, and just maybe, forget about cancer for at least a couple of minutes. 

Regarding the adjuvant treatment, am I correct in assuming NIVO + ipi for adjuvant treatment is not standard or only in trial as first line for stage III?  I'm trying to get up to speed on treatment options in preparation for my upcoming oncology visit. Also reconcile some possible insurance issues.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry, Oliver.  Yes, getting the drain out is a milestone indeed!!  I was ever so glad to get rid of mine.  You are correct.  Adjuvant treatments are available…but it is either ipi or nivo.  The combo is available only in trials for Stage III patients.  However, nivo alone can provide great results for folks in your position.  Heck, I was Stage IV (though NED after SRS to a brain met and surgery to a lung and tonsilar met) in 2010, gained entry to a nivo trial…with my last dose in June of 2013….and remain NED today with no further recurrence or treatment.  Hang in there.  Refer to the primer I gave you earlier if you like.  And certainly ask more questions here as you need.  Yours, celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

Sorry…meant to type "Steve"!!!  Must have still had "Oliver" on the brain from a prior post.  C

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics