The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology report back

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology report back

Participant

First off I would like to express how tough everyone of you on this board are.  Whether it's dealing with this disease in your body or caring for someone that has it or have lost someone to this disease.

I can start by saying I'm lucky.  My spot that was removed was indeed a mole.  It came back with Severe Atypia.  Here is the entire pathology report.

Pathology report reads:
      Junctional melanocytic nevus with elongated. fused rete ridges and concentric lamellar fibrosis within the underlying papillary dermis.
      A mild superficial dermal lymphocytic infiltrate is identified.  Cytologic atypia is severe.

The whole path report reads:
      The lesion appears to be completely excised, but is close 
      to a lateral (peripheral) inked edge.  Conservative
      re-excision is recommended to ensure all atypical melanocytes are removed.
      Immunohistochemical staining was performed using Melan-A (A specific marker of Melanocytes)
      to ascertain the degree of melanocytic hyperplasia and presence of intraepidermal melanocytes.  Aprropriate postive and negative controls were 
      performed.  Melan-A primarily stained lentiginous cells along the elongated rete with occasional pagtoid cells.  These findings support the above histological diagnosis.
      [b]THIS CASE WAS REVIEWED AT THE DAILY INTRADEPARTMENTAL CONFERENCE…..[/b]
      I guess this was an interesting mole.

So the Derm says the prior damage (nair chemical burn and ruptured the mole pretty good andTook a few months to heal) definitely could have played into the architectural and cytologic atypia but the problem is, it doesnt matter.  Understandably when a cell is atypical it's atypical, it doesn't matter how it got that way.  It could have been a normal mole, could have been a mildly atypical mole etc.  Regardless iIt's severe and needs to come out.  Which I 100% agreed with.  Comes out next Wednesday.  He explained When you have a severe dysplasic mole it gets treated like Melanoma in Situ – 5mm margins. 
      Also said it may have never turned into melanoma but being severe it has a greater chance than just being mild or moderate.

Told me there is no need to come for bi-yearly visits.  My yearly visits are all I need and to just to a self examination maybe once a month and he said if anything should seem outof the ordinary or if I'm unsure just make an appointment to get in.  He says way to many people make the mistake of thinking something isnt a problem and may be embarrased to come get it checked out.  He would rather tell you it's nothing right away than a serious problem several months down the road.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

That's excellent news.  You did what you should do — notice any *change* and have it checked out.  If you have any other places that you think are even slightly suspicious, take photographs  (making sure to have some way to approximate measurements on the photo).  Then if the spot ever changes, or you *think* it might have changed, you will have a reference point.  

Be vigilant with your yearly skin checks, practice sun safety, and put the worry behind you!

casagrayson
          Participant

That's excellent news.  You did what you should do — notice any *change* and have it checked out.  If you have any other places that you think are even slightly suspicious, take photographs  (making sure to have some way to approximate measurements on the photo).  Then if the spot ever changes, or you *think* it might have changed, you will have a reference point.  

Be vigilant with your yearly skin checks, practice sun safety, and put the worry behind you!

casagrayson
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics