The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology report

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Pathology report

Participant

Hello all!

You guys are all so incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I’m about a year and a half out from my original dx. I know SO much more now than I did then and am just curious if anyone could help me better understand/interpret my pathology report?

2mm x 2mm pigmented lesion on outside of labia minora

Poorly nested junctional melanocytic proliferation of lentiginous type confined to the epidermis

Findings most consistent with melanoma in situ

Also (TMI), mine was on the outside of my labia minora, very close to the edge. My pathology report did not state whether it was cutaneous or mucosal, and I’ve read mixed reports about labia minora being mucosal or cutaneous? Any others out there with similar situations or that can share insight? Again, thank you all so much! Blessings to all! ❤️

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kortneypatricia
        Participant

There was also minimal pagetoid spread and no ulceration. WLE came back completely clear. 

WithinMySkin
          Participant

Hi Kortney! Your pathology report seems very straightforward – just as it says, confined to the epidermis so consistant with melanoma in situ.

I know you've posted before about your recent anxiety with your diagnosis. Anxiety can make us question everything in our lives – even things we have known to be 100% true in the past. My anxiety has never gone away, but it has lessened and become more managable as time goes by and I learn my triggers. If your diagnosis was a year and a half ago, why the sudden anxiety about the diagnosis? Is there something else happening in your life that's making you question your diagnosis or how you previously responded to the news? Melanoma in situ is absolutely the best kind of melanoma you can have (that's weird to say, but you know what I mean!)

We can all learn from our life experiences. It may be scary to take a look at your inner thoughts and anxieties, but I fully believe that actually facing our fears makes us less fearful. Knowing your triggers helps lessen the anxiety. As a child, simply turning on a nightlight helped prevent the boogieman from visiting.

If you want to talk, you can always reach out to me on my blog.

Health and happiness,

Lauren

kortneypatricia
              Participant

Thanks for the response! My life the past year and a half has been incredibly hectic (I’ve been in nursing school since the dx), and this is the first “break” I’ve really had since. I believe I kind of just pushed it off and moved on without really processing it, and now that life has slowed down some I’ve started thinking about it more, which I know is the wrong thing to do. I’ve struggled with anxiety (specifically social/health) since childhood so something like this really kind of rocked my world as far as that goes, even though I know I am SO incredibly blessed and it’s silly to be so worrisome. The situation could’ve been much worse and I am thankful that it wasn’t. I’m working towards healing, or learning to live with, my anxieties and talking about it and knowing every aspect of the situation just seems to help me. Again, thank you for the response. ❤️ 

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics