The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology Report

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology Report

Participant

Hi,

This is my pathology report for in situ: 6x5x1 mm specimen. There is a profilerat6ion of atypical melanocytes present in the epidermis with irregular nests of melanocytes aggregated at the dermoepidermal junction and solitary melanocytes present within the epidermis. The process is confiend to the epidermis. These changes represent primary malignatnt melanoma in situ. Is this pretty standart report for in situ? To me it looks like that there are abnormal melanocytes. Who make the decision if it's in situ or atypical mole? I had this mole slowly growing over 12 years.

It will not change my outcome.. but just wondering… Thanks and appreciate all your help on this forum so far.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kenkussions
        Participant

Wow, that is pretty much verbatim how my path report from a week ago read. Mine was in-Situ and I just had my WLE on my neck yesterday. Hopefully, that path report will come back with clear margins so I can get this open wound stitched up tomorrow and not have more taken out.  

Kenkussions
          Participant

Wow, that is pretty much verbatim how my path report from a week ago read. Mine was in-Situ and I just had my WLE on my neck yesterday. Hopefully, that path report will come back with clear margins so I can get this open wound stitched up tomorrow and not have more taken out.  

Kenkussions
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

It's a matter of degrees.  The is just more cellular atypia or architectural atypia in melanoma in situ than a dysplastic mole.  They look at a lot of factors and at some point, it crosses the line to a lesion that has the potential to do more harm.  However, it is still a judgement and it is possible that some pathologists might still label your lesion severely atypical.  It has been thought that pathologists might over-diagnose melanoma just to be on the safe side (CYA). 

Sophietx
                  Participant

Thank you!

Sophietx
                    Participant

Thank you!

Sophietx
                      Participant

Thank you!

Janner
                      Participant

It's a matter of degrees.  The is just more cellular atypia or architectural atypia in melanoma in situ than a dysplastic mole.  They look at a lot of factors and at some point, it crosses the line to a lesion that has the potential to do more harm.  However, it is still a judgement and it is possible that some pathologists might still label your lesion severely atypical.  It has been thought that pathologists might over-diagnose melanoma just to be on the safe side (CYA). 

Janner
                        Participant

Aloha14
                          Participant

My melanoma was also labeled as atypical as the tumor was circular, and clear everything opposite of what to look for on the skin. I thought it was a blister or possibly a wart developing. Sorry that you've got Melanoma. 

Aloha14
                            Participant

My melanoma was also labeled as atypical as the tumor was circular, and clear everything opposite of what to look for on the skin. I thought it was a blister or possibly a wart developing. Sorry that you've got Melanoma. 

Aloha14
                              Participant

BillMFl
                                Participant

The difference between an atypical mole vs melanoma is based on the observed degree of change. The atypical mole will show cells that are not exactly normal but still resemble normal mature melanocytes. The cells of an insitu will look much more primitive and often contain large and irregular nuclei. The process of becoming malignant is called anaplasia- the transformation to a more primitive malignant state. You can look up the terms differentation, anaplasia, and mitosis if you want some technical information on how a pathologist determines whether a lesion is atypical or malignant. There are other factors but these will give you the basics. You may also want to learn more about the epidermis and dermis and the junction between the two. The main thing to know is that if you were to have a melonoma you are fortunate that it was insitu. Your pathologist saw enough abnormality in those cells to warrant the dx. Be happy it was caught early and don't doubt his judgement. He or she looks and many many tissue samples and knows exactly what they are looking for. 

BillMFl
                                  Participant

The difference between an atypical mole vs melanoma is based on the observed degree of change. The atypical mole will show cells that are not exactly normal but still resemble normal mature melanocytes. The cells of an insitu will look much more primitive and often contain large and irregular nuclei. The process of becoming malignant is called anaplasia- the transformation to a more primitive malignant state. You can look up the terms differentation, anaplasia, and mitosis if you want some technical information on how a pathologist determines whether a lesion is atypical or malignant. There are other factors but these will give you the basics. You may also want to learn more about the epidermis and dermis and the junction between the two. The main thing to know is that if you were to have a melonoma you are fortunate that it was insitu. Your pathologist saw enough abnormality in those cells to warrant the dx. Be happy it was caught early and don't doubt his judgement. He or she looks and many many tissue samples and knows exactly what they are looking for. 

BillMFl
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics