The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community Pathology report

Participant

Hi!

I am sorry for posting to many questions here .but I am still confused over some parts of my path report.

The conclusion of my report sounds as  '' This is a severely atypical melanocytis lesion. The lesion is small and not all the features of melanoma are present , but , at worst , the appearanse could represent an early superficial spreading melanoma.No vertical growth present.  Diagnosys Melanoma radial phase AT WORST.''

What does this at worst means?

Looks like they are not sure I had melanoma at all.

Hi!

I am sorry for posting to many questions here .but I am still confused over some parts of my path report.

The conclusion of my report sounds as  '' This is a severely atypical melanocytis lesion. The lesion is small and not all the features of melanoma are present , but , at worst , the appearanse could represent an early superficial spreading melanoma.No vertical growth present.  Diagnosys Melanoma radial phase AT WORST.''

What does this at worst means?

Looks like they are not sure I had melanoma at all.

Did anyone have the same confusing report?

Thanks a lot for all uour support

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        TSchulz
        Participant

I agree, I don't think they are certain about giving the diagnosis of melanoma but want to alert your physicians that what they are seeing a atypical – and could be the precurser to a cancerous lesion.  If it were my report, I would try to get my slides to another pathology lab that looks at a lot of melanoma.  I would also treat this lesion as if it were a Stage I melanoma.  But, I think if the 2nd look at the slides comes back uncertain like the first, I'd take a little sigh of relief and be happy it was found early. 

Good luck and all the best.  Troy

natasha
            Participant

Thanks Troy!

This is my second lab opinion –  previous one said the same – they are not sure it is melanoma ,but let say it is at worst.

My official diagnosis is stage 1A.

Thanks again for your support.

natasha
              Participant

Thanks Troy!

This is my second lab opinion –  previous one said the same – they are not sure it is melanoma ,but let say it is at worst.

natasha
                Participant

Thanks Troy!

TSchulz
                Participant

I agree, I don't think they are certain about giving the diagnosis of melanoma but want to alert your physicians that what they are seeing a atypical – and could be the precurser to a cancerous lesion.  If it were my report, I would try to get my slides to another pathology lab that looks at a lot of melanoma.  I would also treat this lesion as if it were a Stage I melanoma.  But, I think if the 2nd look at the slides comes back uncertain like the first, I'd take a little sigh of relief and be happy it was found early. 

TSchulz
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics