The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pancreatic cancer and melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community pancreatic cancer and melanoma

Participant

Hello

After hearing President Carter's diagnosis of melanoma and his family history of pancreatic cancer, I have a question.  Has anyone ever read about the relationship between the two cancers.  My husband recently passed away from melanoma and his father passed away from pancreatic cancer.  When my husband was first diagnosed our oncologist spoke about a genetic link between the two.  Has anyone else heard about this?

President Carter's announcement was difficult to hear.  My husband experienced melanoma spreading to his brain as well.  

Thank you.  WIshing you all the best.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof4boys
        Participant
          My surgeon mentioned something about this as well and my mom passed away in 09 from pancreatic cancer and I have melanoma
          momof4boys
          Participant
            My surgeon mentioned something about this as well and my mom passed away in 09 from pancreatic cancer and I have melanoma
              JC
              Participant

what I wouldn't understand is if the melanoma is caused from over-sun-exposure, why would that impact the pancreas? 

JC
                Participant

what I wouldn't understand is if the melanoma is caused from over-sun-exposure, why would that impact the pancreas? 

JC
                  Participant

Andrew1725
                    Participant

There is a genetic mutation in a gene called CDKN2A and people with this mutation are at a very high risk for Melanoma. There is also an elevated risk of pancreatic cancer, although not nearly as elevated as the risk for melanoma. Those with this mutation are also much more susceptible to multiple melanoma primaries. The mutation is commonly found in instances of "familial" melanoma.

jpg
                      Participant

Here's what I read at MIF melanomaforum.org.:  In a paper published by the International Melanoma Genetics Consortium in 2002, 80 families were evaluated who had alterations to the P16 gene (also known as CDKN2A) The families were from the U.S., Europe and Australia.  Alterations in p16 are the main cause of inherited high susceptibility to melanoma identified so far. However in this study, only about 20% of families that have multiple members with melanoma have alterations in p16. The factors most influencing whether these people with the mutation P16 developed melanoma were the same as the population at large:  increasing age and residing in areas with a high incidence of melanoma (because of high UV.

Small connection between the two cancers is the P16.

jpg
                        Participant

Here's what I read at MIF melanomaforum.org.:  In a paper published by the International Melanoma Genetics Consortium in 2002, 80 families were evaluated who had alterations to the P16 gene (also known as CDKN2A) The families were from the U.S., Europe and Australia.  Alterations in p16 are the main cause of inherited high susceptibility to melanoma identified so far. However in this study, only about 20% of families that have multiple members with melanoma have alterations in p16. The factors most influencing whether these people with the mutation P16 developed melanoma were the same as the population at large:  increasing age and residing in areas with a high incidence of melanoma (because of high UV.

jpg
                          Participant

jogo
                            Participant

Hearing about President Carter's melanoma has brought back painful memories. Twenty-seven years ago this summer, my father had a melanoma on each elbow removed.  Sink grafts were needed on both arms.  This surgery was done by a plastic surgeon referred to us by a dermatologist.  My father was 80 years old and because he had congestive heart failure, a [different] surgeon decided not to remove the lymph nodes in his armpits.  I was told, "He is a poor surgical risk and beside it's [the melanoma] probably spread beyond this [lymph nodes in his arm pits].  By November the cancer [metastatic malignant melanoma] had spread to his kidneys.  The urologist tried to infarct the more infiltrated one but it did not take.  My Dad's PCP, primary care physician, was almost upset as we were.  "I do not know what we [the doctors] can do."  He said that he could feel the cancer spreading in Dad's liver, and other intestinal organs.  By January 1989, the MMM [metastatic malignant melanoma] had spread to his brain. He went into a coma.  Dad died January 18,1989, one month after his 81st birthday. 

It's amazing how much progress has been made in treating melanoma.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with malignant metastatic melanoma in my left parotid gland. I had a radical dissection of the parotid gland and the lymph glands on that side of my neck. I was eligible for a clinical trial.  After two infusions, treatment was stopped because I had a toxic reaction.   The primary melanoma [on my skin] was never found,  I have been NED since my surgery.  Some part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Now there is more ammunition to fight this. I may be somewhat afraid, but not too afraid to fight whatever happens.

jogo
                              Participant

Hearing about President Carter's melanoma has brought back painful memories. Twenty-seven years ago this summer, my father had a melanoma on each elbow removed.  Sink grafts were needed on both arms.  This surgery was done by a plastic surgeon referred to us by a dermatologist.  My father was 80 years old and because he had congestive heart failure, a [different] surgeon decided not to remove the lymph nodes in his armpits.  I was told, "He is a poor surgical risk and beside it's [the melanoma] probably spread beyond this [lymph nodes in his arm pits].  By November the cancer [metastatic malignant melanoma] had spread to his kidneys.  The urologist tried to infarct the more infiltrated one but it did not take.  My Dad's PCP, primary care physician, was almost upset as we were.  "I do not know what we [the doctors] can do."  He said that he could feel the cancer spreading in Dad's liver, and other intestinal organs.  By January 1989, the MMM [metastatic malignant melanoma] had spread to his brain. He went into a coma.  Dad died January 18,1989, one month after his 81st birthday. 

It's amazing how much progress has been made in treating melanoma.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with malignant metastatic melanoma in my left parotid gland. I had a radical dissection of the parotid gland and the lymph glands on that side of my neck. I was eligible for a clinical trial.  After two infusions, treatment was stopped because I had a toxic reaction.   The primary melanoma [on my skin] was never found,  I have been NED since my surgery.  Some part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Now there is more ammunition to fight this. I may be somewhat afraid, but not too afraid to fight whatever happens.

lmhl
                                Participant

Thanks for sharing your story about your father anonymous.  I am still trying to figure all of this out. I am thinking that there are still many gaps in our knowledge about melanoma and it's treatment.  My husband followed the usual care path for melanoma.  Was diagnosed and passed away within 9 months despite surgery, radiation, dacarbazine and IPI.  I could almost see it growing day by day on his skin, I can't imagine what was going on inside of him.  Not sure what was different from his melanoma to other's who seem to respond to treatment.  He was a healthy young man until the day he was diagnosed.

lmhl
                                  Participant

Thanks for sharing your story about your father anonymous.  I am still trying to figure all of this out. I am thinking that there are still many gaps in our knowledge about melanoma and it's treatment.  My husband followed the usual care path for melanoma.  Was diagnosed and passed away within 9 months despite surgery, radiation, dacarbazine and IPI.  I could almost see it growing day by day on his skin, I can't imagine what was going on inside of him.  Not sure what was different from his melanoma to other's who seem to respond to treatment.  He was a healthy young man until the day he was diagnosed.

lmhl
                                    Participant

jogo
                                      Participant

Andrew1725
                                        Participant

There is a genetic mutation in a gene called CDKN2A and people with this mutation are at a very high risk for Melanoma. There is also an elevated risk of pancreatic cancer, although not nearly as elevated as the risk for melanoma. Those with this mutation are also much more susceptible to multiple melanoma primaries. The mutation is commonly found in instances of "familial" melanoma.

Andrew1725
                                          Participant

momof4boys
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics