The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pain after groin dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community pain after groin dissection

Participant

,Hi. I had a right groin dissection about 4 weeks ago.  Thankfully all nodes were clear. I was wondering if anyone else that had this surgery has experienced pain and soreness down the inside of their leg. Its like a deep down soreness. It is gradually getting better. I actually am sore on the inside of my shin sometimes. I appreciate any feedback.

,Hi. I had a right groin dissection about 4 weeks ago.  Thankfully all nodes were clear. I was wondering if anyone else that had this surgery has experienced pain and soreness down the inside of their leg. Its like a deep down soreness. It is gradually getting better. I actually am sore on the inside of my shin sometimes. I appreciate any feedback.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Hi Becky – my lymph node dissection was in my neck, but it took a long time to get to the point where I wasn't aware of some pain or discomfort.   A month isn't that much time to completely heal from surgery.  That being said, check in with your dr. if you feel as if the pain is significant.    

good luck, 

Fen

Becky C.
            Participant

Thanks for your reply. 

Becky C.
              Participant

Thanks for your reply. 

Fen
              Participant

Hi Becky – my lymph node dissection was in my neck, but it took a long time to get to the point where I wasn't aware of some pain or discomfort.   A month isn't that much time to completely heal from surgery.  That being said, check in with your dr. if you feel as if the pain is significant.    

good luck, 

Fen

washoegal
                Participant

It's not unusual for a nerve to get nicked during this surgery.  If that happens it will take up to 3 months to completely heal.  The good news is your pain will lessen almost daily.  The body is pretty amazing in the way it heals so give it time.  Happy to hear you got the all clear.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

It's not unusual for a nerve to get nicked during this surgery.  If that happens it will take up to 3 months to completely heal.  The good news is your pain will lessen almost daily.  The body is pretty amazing in the way it heals so give it time.  Happy to hear you got the all clear.

Mary

Stage 3

jimjoeb
                    Participant

I had a groin dissection this past June. I was fortunate to have no pain. I didn't need to take any of the prescription prescribed by my surgeon. I took Arnica instead, as prescribed by my naturopathic doctor (my surgeon was aware of this).

I also began immediate physiotherapy/massage treatment for the post-surgery swelling. In addition to their treatments, I was trained to do self-massage twice daily. This has been very helpful in both reducing the swelling (almost totally eliminated now) and stopping any "soreness" that I felt around my knee area. You may want to check to see if your cancer centre offers this support or for physiotherapists/massage therapists in your area who are accredited for this type of treatment. Learning to self-massage is an imprtant skill that you will want to acquire for the long term.

jimjoeb
                      Participant

I had a groin dissection this past June. I was fortunate to have no pain. I didn't need to take any of the prescription prescribed by my surgeon. I took Arnica instead, as prescribed by my naturopathic doctor (my surgeon was aware of this).

I also began immediate physiotherapy/massage treatment for the post-surgery swelling. In addition to their treatments, I was trained to do self-massage twice daily. This has been very helpful in both reducing the swelling (almost totally eliminated now) and stopping any "soreness" that I felt around my knee area. You may want to check to see if your cancer centre offers this support or for physiotherapists/massage therapists in your area who are accredited for this type of treatment. Learning to self-massage is an imprtant skill that you will want to acquire for the long term.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Do continue to use the leg, but do not over do it.  The pain should go away gradually.  I only feel a little numbness in mine 4 years after my extensive operation.  I was out building a deck 4 weeks after my operation and still had one drain in with up to 400 ml of flow a day.

Keep the leg elevated as much as possible when not in use and check into massage therapy by a qualified lympedema massage therapyist.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Do continue to use the leg, but do not over do it.  The pain should go away gradually.  I only feel a little numbness in mine 4 years after my extensive operation.  I was out building a deck 4 weeks after my operation and still had one drain in with up to 400 ml of flow a day.

Keep the leg elevated as much as possible when not in use and check into massage therapy by a qualified lympedema massage therapyist.

findacure2day2011
                            Participant

Hay Becky –

Had sentinel node dissection July 1st 2011.  I still have some pain/discomfort on the inside of my leg.  My Dr. said it was due to the nerves being cut and they are trying to refire.  The top of my leg is still numb…and may or may not get better.  Hope this helps.

Teresa

findacure2day2011
                              Participant

Hay Becky –

Had sentinel node dissection July 1st 2011.  I still have some pain/discomfort on the inside of my leg.  My Dr. said it was due to the nerves being cut and they are trying to refire.  The top of my leg is still numb…and may or may not get better.  Hope this helps.

Teresa

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics