The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo, Yervoy and Zelboraf at the same time?

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo, Yervoy and Zelboraf at the same time?

Participant

Hi all

Im very new here.  I was diagnosed with stage IV melanoma at the end of May.  It originated on my labia (I've had mole checks for years since the 90's but never had been checked there).  I'm scheduled for my 3rd dose of the Opdivo/Yervoy combo on Tuesday.  Had only a rash and fatigue after the first dose and have felt amazing after the 2nd dose (could be because after being hypothyroid my whole life I'm now hyperthyroid and the amount of energy I have is crazy).  Anyway, the one problem I'm having is that after having the tumor removed it's starting to reappear and now I have black dots all over both sides of my labia. My doc said that if I'm really uncomfortable that she could start me on zelvoraf next week.  She's concerned though about the side affects with all these drugs in my system. Has anyone else done zelboraf on top of the opdivo/yervoy?  If it's just the spreading I'm seeing should I just let it spread until my next scans?

Thanks. Karen

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

Hello Karen

I hate the idea of the shot gun approach when it comes to treatment drugs. I hope time will show positive effects for you. I have been on Opdivo for 44 weeks. So far so good for me but I am stage 3b.

Did you by chance use tanning beds? 

Tom

geriakt
          Participant

Hello Karen

I hate the idea of the shot gun approach when it comes to treatment drugs. I hope time will show positive effects for you. I have been on Opdivo for 44 weeks. So far so good for me but I am stage 3b.

Tom

KAF
              Participant

Hi Tom,

I did read the report about tanning beds. I used them maybe 10 times at most.  A couple of times in college and a couple before my wedding/honeymoon mostly so I wouldn't get burned while travelling and so I could be outside more than 5 hours/day without burning.  Honestly I think my multiple mole removals (melanoma in situ, basal cell) were due to horrible burns I got as a kid.  I don't even think sunscreen was even around in the mid 70's was it?  I used to love swimming and canoeing and got horrible burns multiple times.  I was even a lifeguard in college.  

I'm hoping for positive results after the 4 doses.  Just seeing it spread makes me scared of what its doing on the inside.  It had spread to my liver but I hate to think its spreading to my lungs next.

Karen

geriakt
                Participant

When I was a kid at the most I would put on Hawaiian Tropic #4 oil. That does nothing but cook you. We can't correct the past for us but we can teach the younger ones to limit the sun, use sun scream, and completely avoid tanning beds and lights.

Good luck to you

Tom

geriakt
                  Participant

When I was a kid at the most I would put on Hawaiian Tropic #4 oil. That does nothing but cook you. We can't correct the past for us but we can teach the younger ones to limit the sun, use sun scream, and completely avoid tanning beds and lights.

Good luck to you

Tom

geriakt
                    Participant

Good luck to you

Tom

KAF
                      Participant

Hi Tom,

I did read the report about tanning beds. I used them maybe 10 times at most.  A couple of times in college and a couple before my wedding/honeymoon mostly so I wouldn't get burned while travelling and so I could be outside more than 5 hours/day without burning.  Honestly I think my multiple mole removals (melanoma in situ, basal cell) were due to horrible burns I got as a kid.  I don't even think sunscreen was even around in the mid 70's was it?  I used to love swimming and canoeing and got horrible burns multiple times.  I was even a lifeguard in college.  

I'm hoping for positive results after the 4 doses.  Just seeing it spread makes me scared of what its doing on the inside.  It had spread to my liver but I hate to think its spreading to my lungs next.

Karen

KAF
                        Participant

Hi Tom,

Karen

geriakt
                        Participant

Hello Karen

Tom

Kim K
                          Participant

Do you carry the B-raf mutation?  Just wondering since much more rare with mucosal mel.  If no, then B-raf won't do anything for your melanoma but increase side effects.

Kim K
                            Participant

Do you carry the B-raf mutation?  Just wondering since much more rare with mucosal mel.  If no, then B-raf won't do anything for your melanoma but increase side effects.

Kim K
                              Participant

KAF
                                  Participant

Hi.  Yes, I tested positive for the BRAF mutation.  Its growing very quickly and I'm worried about it growing so fast before the opdivo/yervoy even get a chance to do its thing.  

KAF
                                    Participant

Hi.  Yes, I tested positive for the BRAF mutation.  Its growing very quickly and I'm worried about it growing so fast before the opdivo/yervoy even get a chance to do its thing.  

KAF
                                      Participant

Maria C
                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

I have mucosal melanoma too and know how "lonely" the diagnosis is because most have the cutenous variety. MM is also highly aggressive so you need to punch back at it as hard as it is trying to knock you down. Don't let it!

I would recommend asking your doctor your questions (very important ones) and then getting a couple more opinions. It takes awhile for ipi/nivo to work so keep at your 4 infusions and then go on the maintenance plan. I made the mistake of taking a pass on the maintenance regiment and things got worse. I don't believe MM patients should take any chances…

Hang in & know you're not alone!

Maria C
                                        Participant

Hi Karen,

I have mucosal melanoma too and know how "lonely" the diagnosis is because most have the cutenous variety. MM is also highly aggressive so you need to punch back at it as hard as it is trying to knock you down. Don't let it!

I would recommend asking your doctor your questions (very important ones) and then getting a couple more opinions. It takes awhile for ipi/nivo to work so keep at your 4 infusions and then go on the maintenance plan. I made the mistake of taking a pass on the maintenance regiment and things got worse. I don't believe MM patients should take any chances…

Maria C
                                          Participant

Hi Karen,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics