The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

opdivo or keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community opdivo or keytruda

Participant

If one had to choose one over the other–which would it be?  Does one have fewer side effects?  I realize everyone will resond to the treatment differently.  I just would like some input on why one is "better" than the other.  

Thank you

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Same drug, different drug company basically. Most people who get opdivo get the yervoy/opdivo combo, which has more side effects since yervoy is involved but is also more effective. 

Bradley75
          Participant

Opdivo infusions are every two weeks and Keytruda infusions are every three weeks.  For me, it made more sense to have the extra week in between treatments.  That is the only difference I am aware of for my situation.

Patrisa
            Participant

Hm,

don't know the difference between the drugs, but since keytruda worked for my father, my vote goes to the latter… no side effects besides some vitiligo…

good luck with whatever you choose!

Patrisa

AZSoCal
              Participant

As I understand it they effectively do the same thing, but use a different molecule to get the job done.

I'm not aware of any studies compairing the two directly against each another, and given the're made by different drug companies, I'm not sure that would happen anytime soon. Any evidence presented on this forum that does not compare them directly would likely be skewed. I would caution you to review the data / analysis closely (if that were the case) before making any decision.

If I were you, I would base the decision off of other factors (i.e. dosing schedules).  

There are others on this forum far more knowledgable so take my perspective for what it's worth. 🙂

mrsaxde
                  Participant

I haven't seen any studies comparing the two in melanoma, but I did see one that said Keytruda outperformed Opdivo in non-small cell lung cancer patients.

mrsaxde
                    Participant

I haven't seen any studies comparing the two in melanoma, but I did see one that said Keytruda outperformed Opdivo in non-small cell lung cancer patients.

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi mrsaxde, you have to take those result in context, Merck was kind of smart on this one by only taking lung cancer patients that had high pd-l1+ levels from biopsy while BMS (nivo) didn't screen out any patients. We now know in lung cancer that patients who have high level of pd-l1+ in tumor do better. In Melanoma the same can be said but it isn't a hard and fast rule, many patients with low pd-L1+ do respond. Here is a link to discussion about pd-L1 biomarkers in Immunotherapy treatment. If you go to the 8:00 min mark it gets into Merck and lung cancer trials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-lxXLfNkcM

CajunEagle
                      Participant

I'll have my 3rd infusion of Keytruda on 7-31-17, and I'm waiting for the side effect shoe to drop at some point.  Having been through the Cisplatin, Textera, 5-FU  chemo plan and 35 rounds of radiation for Tonsil Cancer eight years ago, I just can't believe the lack of side effects for this dermaplastic Melanoma at the rear of my right jaw.  Maybe it's a cumulative thing…..I don't know.  But so far only a little fatigue.

I'm not aware of any studies regarding melanoma and the two drugs however there seems to be some data that Keytruda works better for lung cancer patients over Opdivo.  That being said I may just not be up to date on the studies.  I've had both the Yervoy/Opdivo combo and Opdivo only infusions.  My experience although not a walk in the park hasn't really been that bad.  I think the side effects vary so much from person to person that it is very difficult to say which one will be better for you.  I've gone from having over twenty tumors to just two. I'm sure there are many with similar success with Keytruda.  There may not be an answer to this question at this time.  Good wishes to you.

Jennifer

obtu.bt
                          Participant
                            Hi Jennifer,
                            Would you please let me know the dose and frequency that you are taking Opdivo?
                          jennunicorn
                          Participant

They are both anti-PD1 drugs, made by different drug companies, Opdivo was made first. The side effects are the same, but of course what and how many side effects depends on each person individually. They have the same response rate. Only difference would be infusion schedule, with Opdivo it is every other week and with Keytruda it is every 3 weeks. Most would choose every 3 weeks.. since every other week sure does get old after a while. But, that just comes down to your own personal schedule and probably how far you have to drive to get to the infusions. Takes me about an hour to get to where I go for infusions, so I have to save half a day for the whole deal: drive there, blood labs, doctor visit, infusion, drive home. I'm used to going every other week at this point, but I will be pretty darn happy when I can stop driving there this often.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics