The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo headache clean mri

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo headache clean mri

Participant

On my 3rd treatment of Opdivo. After 5 days developed mild headache on right temple. Not crazy pain just dull pressure annoying, all day. It’s been 3-4 weeks of it. I’ve had an MRI and Blood test for headache drug related symptoms all negative. Anyone else have this or know what it could be? They said I have fluid in my sinus took antibiotics didn’t help. 

Thanks 3B diagnosed In Oct 2017

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        guynamedbilly
        Participant

After about three months of treatment with Nivolumab, I had a terrible headache that lasted for a full week.  I believe that the immunotherapy made my eyes more sensitive, and we had recently switched our lights at work to led lights.  I bought some anti-glare blue light blocking computer glasses to use at work, and the pain stopped after a day or two.

I think immunotherapy boosts any of the natural processes in your body, so there's a multitude of things it could be.  I assume in the blood test they checked your thyroid hormones T3 and T4?  Also, the Pituitary Gland could be getting overworked and swelling.  Good Luck figuring it out!

neilarama2017
          Participant

I have been on Nivo for several months now and this seems to be a pretty common side effect, most likely a swelling in the pituitary gland.  I was told Tylonol should help this and usually does.  It's more of a central headache that you would have to worry about.  At this point Im at this has definately decreased and I barely get headaches now mostly just pimples here and there and irritated eyes.  Hope that helps some.

Neil

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

It's interesting to me that you mention the sinus. I had this same situation crop up as a late side effect of Keytruda. Antibiotics did nothing. I was doing saline rinses 3-4 times each day, and sleeping with "Breathe Right" strips, because I was snoring like a bear from it! Oddly enough, it was the arthritis meds that I was put on that eventually cleared it! My best guess, is that some of us have overly sensitive sinus cavities, and this is a low percentage autoimmune side effect… or at the very least, a very underreported one. We know these anti-PD1 drugs can cause inflammation, and we're not always certain where it is going to occur in the body. Perhaps a low dose steroid or even an arthritis med would help. I know arthritis is a joint issue, but it sure helped clear my joints, my sinus issue, my ear trouble….. anything that was inflammed. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics