The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Opdivo, GI bleeding, ulcers, hemorrhoids ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Opdivo, GI bleeding, ulcers, hemorrhoids ?

Inactive
      In July 2017 my dad was diagnosed with stage 3c melanoma. He had an 8mm ulcerated tumor on head and 4mm in one lymph node (didn’t do complete dissections.) In September he went on one year of Opdivo. He had a rash, fatigue joint pains and was slightly anemic but otherwise tolerated everything well.. A few months after his final opdivo around December/January he discovered blood in the stool and was hospitalized with severe anemia and received a blood transfusion. They did an endoscopy, colonoscopy and pill camera. They didn’t find any tumors but two small benign non-bleeding ulcers in the stomach and hemorrhoids. The bleeding in the stool continued and he continued getting iron infusions and blood transfusions every two weeks (has had about ten of each now.) In April they did a hemorhoidectomy (also negative test for malignancy), which reduced the pain of the hemorrhoid, but two months later he is still has blood in the stool and needs the blood/iron transfusions. We are not sure if the hemorrhoid isn’t healing or if there is some other problem in the GI track. Earlier this week they did a GI scan (nuclear test where red blood cells are tagged and photographed.) but the result came back as not showing any internal bleeding over a two hour period.

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? And if so, what did you do? I haven’t really come across hemorrhoids or stomach ulcers as symptom of opdivo although see a lot on colitis (which the doctors say he doesn’t have.)

Thank you

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carlsbad317
        Participant
          Hi Hopeful Daughter
          My dad has stage 4metastatic melanoma and is on the Ipi/Nivo combo with radiation. The diarrhea and fatigue have been brutal. He has spend the last few days in the hospital. After a colonoscopy today they said she was ulcers in the intestines and are using high dose steroids for treatment. As well as gettin on a diet of solid foods. He has been so sick it has been liquid or nothing.
          I am sorry and praying for you all.
            Anonymous
            Inactive
              Hi Hanlon,

Thanks so much for your response. It is helpful to know that others are having a similar situation. How is your dad now? Did the high dose steroids help?

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics